I can't do it alone

Options
I tried...for a long time. I'm not very good at lurking in the shadows and being successful (actually I've been here since March and have been relatively unsuccessful /cry). I'm hoping by making a few friends here I could give a little support and get a little support.

I'm 32, divorced, an emotional eater who has no idea how to stop after one serving. I'm an all or nothing kinda gal, and I'm working very hard to find some middle ground. I have a substantial amount of weight to lose (80+lbs), and some days it's overwhelming to think of how much work that is.

I have been trying to workout, but I pulled my SI joint doing a deadlift incorrectly and now I'm hardly able to move. Sitting at home is making me sad and my knee-jerk reaction is to call the pizza delivery man, but instead I'm going to reach out here and hope the end result leaves me a little more happy than the calories of an entire pizza (remember, can't stop after one serving :( )

Wishing you all the very best in your journeys!

<3
Stephanie

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    *(*(*hugs*)*)* First of all, you are beautiful!! And YOU CAN DO THIS! Don't look at how far you have to go, look at how far you've come! You've lost 19 pounds! That is AMAZING!!

Maybe try breaking your goals down into 10 pound chunks so that it's not so overwhelming. Baby steps! One day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • aprilmonkey
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater too!

I like chocl8girls suggestion of doing 10 pounds a time!

Think, you're only one pound away from hitting your next big chunk of weight!

You can do it!

(and we'll help!)
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for posting with me. I was begining to wonder if I had said something wrong in my initial post. :embarassed: Pizza. hmmm Lets see.... how can I pursuade you to make a healthier choice???. Hows this.... Pizza = Problem In Zipper Zone Always...

what do you think?
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetpea! I'm an emotional and volume eater! It was a serious feat to get it under control. I did it and so can you! You know what helped me? Eating 1 portion ( so I learn what one looks like) knowing that I get to eat again in 2-2 1/2 hours! Lol! I eat 5-7 times a day! I make sure I have a sweet treat while still meeting my goals too. Portion control and conscious choices and support are helpful tools. Your determination will make your dreams come true! 1 pound at a time girl :-)
  • tmuster
    tmuster Posts: 72
    Options
    also an emotional eater which has always been my downfall. Always here for support. FRS
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi , doing it alone is so much harder and fraught with disaster, or at least for me it is!

You can do it , you just need to reach inside your head, get into the right place and take it one day, one step at a time.

I too, need to lose at least 20+kgs, so if you would like to add me and we can support and encourage each other, feel free to do so.

Meanwhile good luck, you made the start by admitting how tough it is and joining this wonderful site!

(((HUGS)))

Pat
  • MsBubblyBlonde
    Options
    Hi. I fully understand how you feel.Until I joined here earlier this week I saw my needed weight loss as the highest mountain that I couldn't climb.I fought myself daily about what I should be doing to make a start of losing what seems like a giant burden.I then realised that I hide behind my weight because I always have.
    But no more. I no longer want to be the fat girl that makes other women feel great about themselves when they see me at a social event.I no longer want to be the woman that the drunken men approach at the end of the night because they think I will be gratedful of the attention and desperate enough to reciprocate.
    I want to be me.The fabulous,amazing me and to fully become that person I need to lose all the emotional baggage that has clung to my hips and stomach for the last 7 years.
    I, for one ,am on your side and if I can help you I will. :o)
    Melanie.
  • OzzyPam
    OzzyPam Posts: 25
    Options
    I to am recently divorced and I know exactly how you feel, I went through that depressive stage and piled on the weight. One day I woke up and thought you will not bring me down, I am strong and I will look beautiful again...... I'll show everyone.!!!!
    I joined the gym and signed the kids up to, and my journey started... Gym every morning, MyFitnessPal and a walk in the afternoons... That was 5 weeks ago and I have lost nearly 8 kgs... And looking and feeling so proud of myself....
    You can do anything if you get yourself in the right frame of mind...
    Just as all the others have said "we are all here to help you" so add me too and we will all do this together...
    Be strong Be beautiful xxxx
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i used to be an emotional eater too. well, not necessarily an emotional eater but just an eater! all the time i'd graze! and my worse time was late at night infront of the TV.
    how i coped with that was swapping out the crappy foods for less crappy foods, then over time i stopped wanting to snack. and my food of choice was ice blocks (popsicles)- the kids ones. they're only about 30 cals each, you can eat heaps of them, and they take ages to eat.
    also, i'd brush my teeth or have mint gum which would stop me yearning for the cacky food.
  • iwillgetthere72
    Options
    19lb is an awesome amount to lose, well done!!!! I'm an emotional eater too - and a self diagnosed glutton!
  • Kenny_DoIt
    Kenny_DoIt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it alone. You have all our support now.
  • shellihooten
    Options
    I to am recently divorced and I know exactly how you feel, I went through that depressive stage and piled on the weight. One day I woke up and thought you will not bring me down, I am strong and I will look beautiful again...... I'll show everyone.!!!!
    I joined the gym and signed the kids up to, and my journey started... Gym every morning, MyFitnessPal and a walk in the afternoons... That was 5 weeks ago and I have lost nearly 8 kgs... And looking and feeling so proud of myself....
    You can do anything if you get yourself in the right frame of mind...
    Just as all the others have said "we are all here to help you" so add me too and we will all do this together...
    Be strong Be beautiful xxxx

^^^^ I've gotta say one thing to you...You ARE BEAUTIFUL. period. Now, do ALL these amazing things BECAUSE YOU ARE WORTH IT! Not because you "want to be" beautiful. You already are.
    I say this out of love for my fellow MFP sister! We women tend to beat ourselves up and say, "Oh, I want to be.....beautiful, skinny, athletic, etc..."
    We HAVE to look in that mirror and say: I AM BEAUTIFUL and I AM WORTH IT!

To you, OP and ALL others reading this
    Go get MOVING as best you can. AND ask yourself, Is it worth putting THAT in my mouth for me to feel better about me?!?
    One step at a time, one meal/morsel at a time.

I only say this from my own experience. I'm 46, didn't take care of myself the past 20+ years...UNTIL my AHA-Moment 5/31/12.
    I have lost weight and feel like a million dollars, and I still have 40 pounds to get to my goal. But, I WILL get there.

I will support anyone out there! You DON'T have to do this alone.
    Cheering for YOU!!
  • manofpies
    manofpies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The second hardest part is realising you need to make a change, the hardest part is making it... But once you do keep focused and just treat all like little challenges with little wins - sometime the end goal can seem a long way away (I need to lose going on for at least 6 stone) - lose one pound.. Win... Lose 2... Win... And you'll get there.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    Add me... I am in the same boat, divorced, emotional eater.. .been there and have about the same amount to lose. We'll help each other.
  • battynat12
    Options
    I also have 80lbs to lose (well 70lbs now), and I am an emotional eater. But we can get through this together! Set small goals for yourself, every day you stick the plan is a success, every pound you lose is an achievement. Reward yourself with non-food prizes, like a manicure or massage. You are not alone. We are all here for the same reasons.

Feel free to add me :)
  • Leahbcc
    Leahbcc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One pound at a time...you can do it! :smile: It is not a diet it is a change of life style. I was an emotional eater also..found fun snacks...examples Gummy Butterflies, nuts, fresh fruits, vegetable, and hummus. I am going to request you as a friend. Look how far you have come and how brave you are to reach out and say I need. WAY TO GO :flowerforyou: Never forget you are beautiful inside and out
  • Sibby123
    Options
    I was an emotional eater, and I didn't understand how people wern't, I was also an emotional reck when I felt so fat I couldn't breath, enough was enough for me, I don't know what to suggest for you, but just try the best you can to stick at it, it really is so worth it. Keep at it! We're here for you!
  • kei3696
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. But you know what you will have tons of support from everyone. I wish you the best.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Or rather... thanks for coming out of lurkdom lol! I am an emotional eater too so I know how that is, and I have 100+ pounds to lose. It's tough, I'll tell you that. Ive been doing this for a week and Ive aleady had 2 "cheat" days lol. You just gotta take it one step at a time, day by day. I'm going to add you so we can support each other! Good luck!:smile:
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is all about perspective, if you get a pizza get a small or medium. When it arrives, set aside one or two pieces and then wrap up and freeze the rest.!
    I am not sure what SI is, but can you walk around the outside of your building/residence? Go as far as you can, when you can and see that for the accomplishment that it is. Call who you know and ask for support, even if they can only walk with you one day per week.

My friend reached out to me two years ago, from the hospital with sky, sky high blood pressure. Will you be my walking partner was her "cry" for help? I said yes and I have lost 11 pounds, gained a new love of walking in the freezing cold ( we walk year round no matter the temp, only stay in for heavy rain and icy spots)

See a new vision!