Raspberry Ketones, Doctor Oz, and Women's Health

Options
I am currently writing a paper about these three topics! Mainly, my argument (in nicer, more academic wording) is that Dr Oz is causing all this hype on what he calls 'miracles' when really they don't work like he advertises. I believe he is giving women false hope, making them think this will save their life and they don't need to change a thing! Also, he is putting so much emphasis on weight loss and anti aging - why not women's happiness and wellbeing?! That is what is really important! Its just a new way to make women spend money and be self conscious! What happens when they crash and burn when the product doesn't work, and they gain an extra 10 lbs because of it?

I would love to know your opinions, and please share if you have used any of these products :) Thanks so much!

(PS this is just an argument for a paper, this doesn't mean I think this way completely)

Replies

• lisamichelle123
    lisamichelle123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY agree with you about Dr Oz - he is supposed to be promoting health but aesthetics (ie weight loss off your butt) seems more important than actual problems - atherosclerosis due to hypertension, heart disease, etc, due to obesity...the actual HEALTH problems....
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't listen to his crap about weight loss but I have seen some of his older stuff on heart health and he actually sounds like the educated doctor he is.
  • lisamichelle123
    lisamichelle123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As a medical student, I know that he DOES know his cardiovascular stuff, however I would like to see him place more emphasis on this kind of thing like he used to, rather than the 'herbal cures' etc he is trending towards. Naturopathy etc is great, it just isn't a miracle cure for everything.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Dr. Oz sounds like a health food catalog about the miracles of every supplement. They all cure the same symptoms of fatigue, hormone imbalances, skin and hair problems, weight loss, anxiety, and aging that affect the majority of women at some time in their lives. The last thing I saw him promote was green coffee bean extract I think for weight loss. Sounded like a foolproof cure for obesity, but everyone would be on it and raving about their success on here then. I'm waiting for that.
  • owswixie
    owswixie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I currently take raspberry ketones in a blend of a few other things and it is what helped curb the appetite. A few of my friends have started taking them and seen the same results. But they aren't magic in a bottle by any means, they just made it easier for me to do the work. So far as I know, the only clinical trials have been in on rats in Asia, the results were possible increased insulin sensitivity as well as increased fat metabolism in the liver and possible cholesterol reduction. There is an article in the LA Times from May 19, 2012 that makes brief mention of this.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I currently take raspberry ketones in a blend of a few other things and it is what helped curb the appetite. A few of my friends have started taking them and seen the same results. But they aren't magic in a bottle by any means, they just made it easier for me to do the work. So far as I know, the only clinical trials have been in on rats in Asia, the results were possible increased insulin sensitivity as well as increased fat metabolism in the liver and possible cholesterol reduction. There is an article in the LA Times from May 19, 2012 that makes brief mention of this.

In the study you are refering to, the rats were given crazy amounts of ketones. The equivilant in humans would have to be a million times more then what you take in a pill. Taking that much of anything would surly make you want to eat less...
  • owswixie
    Options
    Do you by chance have a link to the actual study? They ususally do go nuts with the dosage on those cute little critters and I was just curious as I have heard references to the study but not seen the actual studies themselves. Might be helpful to the OP as well! :smile:
    To the OP - There are a couple clinical studies regarding inflammation, insulin resistance and phenols on this website if you just search for raspberries they should come up:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Do you by chance have a link to the actual study? They ususally do go nuts with the dosage on those cute little critters and I was just curious as I have heard references to the study but not seen the actual studies themselves. Might be helpful to the OP as well! :smile:
    To the OP - There are a couple clinical studies regarding inflammation, insulin resistance and phenols on this website if you just search for raspberries they should come up:
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home

I think this is it. I can't open the link on my phone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862604&nbsp
  • owswixie
    Options
    Thanks for the link. And I really agree with your statements about how these products are marketed. I didn't even know about the dr. oz bit when I started my ketone blend. I have a son with autism, and I am a RN, so I am constantly looking for supps that improve health with minimal risk. Every time I would try to cut calories, I would have really bad hypoglycemic symptoms. All these ketones did was end that so I could move on.

Years ago I used to work on a floor that did many bariatric surgeries. I would catch some people stuffing snacks their kind families had snuck in for them on post op night! So I wholeheartedly agree that the notion of a "magic bullet" enables people to approach weight loss in a manner that is not sustainable or healthy. The same is done with my son's condition, too.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    The new magazine cover he is on just blows my mind. Granted I haven't read the article, but 24 pounds in a week on a crash diet he approves sounds insane. Even if that really isn't the case, I don't know a Doctor who would even appear next to something like that. Dr. OZ endorses a lot of things because he gets paid for them. Nothing else. I have tried African Mango, but that was for my immune system. If it was supposed to help with weight loss or my metabolism, it did nothing.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I think in order to lose 24 lbs a week you'd have to cut off a body part.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly. To me it's obvious that he is being paid to endorse these products. Therefore I wouldn't take his opinion seriously, and would never believe his statements, if only because they have now been tainted by a companies/ industries agenda. I can't speak for other women, but I'd hope they'd think twice before deciding to follow any of his "advice", and seriously realize that there are no shortcuts for anything, so why not just lose weight the way you're supposed to. Through hard work, diet, exercise, blood, sweat and tears
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies!! I have some great new ideas for my paper :)
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies!! I have some great new ideas for my paper :)

I think he's feeling the backlash of his constant "miracles" because his first episode this season was him "taking his name back" and claiming he won't endorse any specific product. I have my doubts he'll keep that promise, though.
  • pmychang
    pmychang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was reading his book You: On a diet and he actually doesn't emphasize weight loss directly. He explains that belly fat is the important measurement because the fat that is stored around your belly area stores toxins and belly fat surrounds your more important internal organs like the liver, kidney, cervix, etc. where cancers occur. Having said that he says that one can't lose weight in spots, overall weight loss causes you to eventually lose belly fat. He also says that you can only lose a small percentage of weight from diet and exercise but if you gain muscle, this burns fat even when you are resting so he strongly advocates strength building exercises, especially around the core or foundational muscles to help you burn fat. I think if you read his books instead of the tabloids you get a very different impression. He says don't weigh yourself, and build muscle and keep track of your waist measurements rather than calories or pounds. He does have a suggested diet which advocates lean proteins, he thinks the fat found in red meat isn't very good. He also advocates eating small meals constantly because when you get hungry your body turns sugar into fat to hold onto it. Actually I've read a lot of diet books and what I like about his book is that it actually explains the science in a pretty accessible way (with a lot of photos). I don't watch his tv program though.
  • MPJCRUZ
    MPJCRUZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was reading his book You: On a diet and he actually doesn't emphasize weight loss directly. He explains that belly fat is the important measurement because the fat that is stored around your belly area stores toxins and belly fat surrounds your more important internal organs like the liver, kidney, cervix, etc. where cancers occur. Having said that he says that one can't lose weight in spots, overall weight loss causes you to eventually lose belly fat. He also says that you can only lose a small percentage of weight from diet and exercise but if you gain muscle, this burns fat even when you are resting so he strongly advocates strength building exercises, especially around the core or foundational muscles to help you burn fat. I think if you read his books instead of the tabloids you get a very different impression. He says don't weigh yourself, and build muscle and keep track of your waist measurements rather than calories or pounds. He does have a suggested diet which advocates lean proteins, he thinks the fat found in red meat isn't very good. He also advocates eating small meals constantly because when you get hungry your body turns sugar into fat to hold onto it. Actually I've read a lot of diet books and what I like about his book is that it actually explains the science in a pretty accessible way (with a lot of photos). I don't watch his tv program though.

i like Dr. Oz and I agree with you in that he explains the science behind what he says. Products don't always work the same for everybody. We are all different. A product he promotes may do the job for you and not me, I rather try something that he suggests as long as there are no side effects. Better to try it out and see for yourself. i tried a product he recommened on his show and it's been working for me. Maybe something else won't but I sure am happy I gave it a try!
  • themcs
    themcs Posts: 1
    Options
    I disagree. Most women I know are always talking about losing weight and not many are doing anything serious about it. He(Dr.Oz) is voicing his opinion on research that was done by a woman who is a fitness trainer and has worked with women to lose weight.If I am not mistaken I think he also did some research himself. I think he knows that the majority of woman want to lose weight the fastest way they know how, and he is providing them with information he thinks they can use.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Most women I know are always talking about losing weight and not many are doing anything serious about it. He(Dr.Oz) is voicing his opinion on research that was done by a woman who is a fitness trainer and has worked with women to lose weight.If I am not mistaken I think he also did some research himself. I think he knows that the majority of woman want to lose weight the fastest way they know how, and he is providing them with information he thinks they can use.

Bull****!

He makes money off of supplement sales.
    Period!
  • MPJCRUZ
    MPJCRUZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am currently writing a paper about these three topics! Mainly, my argument (in nicer, more academic wording) is that Dr Oz is causing all this hype on what he calls 'miracles' when really they don't work like he advertises. I believe he is giving women false hope, making them think this will save their life and they don't need to change a thing! Also, he is putting so much emphasis on weight loss and anti aging - why not women's happiness and wellbeing?! That is what is really important! Its just a new way to make women spend money and be self conscious! What happens when they crash and burn when the product doesn't work, and they gain an extra 10 lbs because of it?

I would love to know your opinions, and please share if you have used any of these products :) Thanks so much!

(PS this is just an argument for a paper, this doesn't mean I think this way completely)

I like Dr. Oz's show and the reality is that when people are overweight they are usually unhappy and unhealthy. He would be a bad Doctor if he has a 300lbs patient or viewer and says "oh don't worry that you are obese the most important thing is your happiness and wellbeing" Hello??? Dr. Oz makes recommendations which may help a person that is dieting and exercising as well and he does state that in his show. Sometimes the problem is that some folks just want to pop a pill and the fat just melts away and that is never going to happen and Dr. Oz does not say that it will. I prefer that he or his guest Dr's recommend a product that does not have side effects and I try it.. Products don't always work the same for everybody. We are all different. A product he promotes may do the job for you and not me; better to try it out and see for yourself. i tried a product he recommened on his show and it's been working for me. Maybe something else won't but I sure am happy I gave it a try! Plus Dr. Oz is more on the natural side and I like that as well. Most if not all of the products he recommends for weight loss ASSISTANCE are natural. Good luck with your paper.