Oatmeal

Options
Dupas1962
Dupas1962 Posts: 34 Member
Lately, I have been on a strict eating diet. On my profile I posted that this morning I will be having whole grain oatmeal with banana slices on top for sugar substitution. A lot of people made it clear to me that oatmeal is not there favorite because of the drastic change that occur . You know what I am taliking that slimy barf look lol (I couldn't find a better definition)... In my opinion, I believe that it is best to eat the oatmeal while it's hot which is what I did this morning. YUMMY! IT WASNT THAT BAD WOTHOUT SUGAR. So the question of the morning is what do you flavor your oatmeal with to avoid using sugar? If you do add sugar how much do you put and what type of sugar it is?

Replies

• diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries! Stir them round and as they defrost it turns your oatmeal purple!

Or try half teaspoon maple syrup!

Bon appetite!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do everything with oatmeal! I use sugar free syrups (Torani brand) to flavor them sometimes. Chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and banana, just peanut butter, just chocolate, just banana, applesauce and diced apples, pumpkin, berries, french vanilla and berries is really good.......
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    honey, sugar free jams, jellies, and preserves....I could probably go on!
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This morning i added aggave and cinamon...sometimes i put maple syrup.. But when i do put the sweet stuff, it's just a drizzle and mean a tiny *kitten* drizzle! lol
  • feistymoon
    Options
    cinamon!

Also, a very small amount of very dark choc drops goes a very long way! nom!!!
  • mluanne33
    mluanne33 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I add sugar free smuckers strawberry jam..oh so good
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    With protein, almond milk unsweetend, and cinnamon :).
  • preacheraflame
    Options
    I have two different ways of eating my oatmeal.

1) Cinnamon and a little honey

2) When it's almost done I throw in a handful of frozen blueberries. If I wait until the last couple of minutes it unthaws them but keeps them from being all mushy. Sometimes I'll put some cinnamon in with that too.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I put fruit in mine. But lately I've found a brand that has dried fruit and cinnamon without added sugar. So much easier in the morning.
    I don't overcook mine, I leave it a bit runny so it never goes 'barfy' lol.
  • mandi_2007_b
    Options
    I eat the sugar free maple Brown sugar oatmeal..ok its not reg oatmeal, but I don't like reg oatmeal taste
  • samarlow
    samarlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Oat Fit by Better Oats. It is an instant oatmeal with flax seed and no sugar, but is very tasty. I know instant is not the best, but it is what works for me. I also put frozen berries in my oatmeal.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I have found that nothing saves oatmeal if it gets cold, I usually eat it without any fruit or sugar but if it goes cold well *GAG*
    I'm only on my second week so give me time and I'm sure I will get sick of it plain too and be reffering back to your thread for inspiration :wink:
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i never cared for oatmeal, but savory oatmeal is where its at. using steel cut oats is a much nicer texture than rolled oats too. my recipe is here: http://www.goudamonster.com/2012/10/savory-steel-cut-oats/

savoryoats1_sm.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tiny bit of sugar and a splash of Carnation evaporated milk.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I actually eat packaged oatmeal. I get Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, it has a few delicious flavors like banana bread and brown sugar maple. 7g of protein and actually only 1G OF SUGAR in the entire packet! And very filling. Just had some this morning.... YUM.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is a must for me! If you're looking for inspiration, check out this blog. It's a blog dedicated to oatmeal and nothing else. Some of the recipes are really awesome!

http://theoatmealartist.blogspot.dk/
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am that one rare person who LOVES oatmeal plain...nothing added. But when I feel like adding something it's usually raisins or bananas.
    Some things others I know add:
    Protein powder
    Peanut Butter
    Syrup (to me that sounds disgusting bc I don't really like sweet things)
    Frozen fruit
    Nuts

I even have a friend who likes sausage and brocolli in the oatmeal.....but that's a little extreme.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal... although I do use the flavored packages, I buy either low sugar or steel cut oats packs and I sometimes add a bit of whole grain oats on top. I always have fruit with mine and often sprinkle cinammon on top. I mix mine with a bit of water, heat up, stir and add some milk, heat some more, add fruit on top and enjoy!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The trick to non snotty oatmeal is to put OLD FASHIONED oats in a bowl. Not instant oats. They are just dried snot IMO. Pour the boiling water in the bowl over the old fashioned oats and cover the bowl for 5 minutes or so. Uncover and add your flavorings. Non snotty oatmeal, a bit chewy. Just the way I like it. :bigsmile:
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I buy the old fashioned oats and measure out 1 serving (1/2 cup = 150 cals). Then I either add fruit (blueberries, raspberries, or bananas are my fave) or a serving of almonds. I use the Emerald 100 cal packs (my favorite with my plain oatmeal is the cinnamon almonds). Delicious and filling.