I want to lose weight, but love my curves right now!

So I'm currently 165lbs and 5'8". My ideal weight is around 140ish.
I eat healthily, hardly any junk, just too big portions and too many carbs!
The main thing that is holding me back, is that I'm TERRIFIED of losing my curves. And I don't mean how people call larger ladies 'curvy' to be nice, I love my figure. My waist is tiny and my boobs are 32/34DD and I have hips too. My arms and legs are quite slim and toned, not too muscular nor flabby. The only issue is I have a little belly on my lower stomach! Jeans suck it in nicely, but obviously I'd rather it gone completely!

I'm just scared I'm going to lose all that, I know my boobs will disappear and I REALLY don't want that. I feel feminine and sexy with them! Even if I don't show them off that much haha! But they look pretty in bras etc :)

ANYWAY. I'm rambling now! I know there's no such thing as spot training and I need to cut portions and carbs down. But is there anyway to try and keep a feminine shape and not get all gym bunny/overly toned looking? I like the softer, yet shaped and toned look. If you know what I mean!

Thank you! xxx

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    It's not like your weight magically disappear overnight. You can start losing weight and stop if you start losing too much from areas that you don't want to lose. Genetics dictate where you lose. Some women don't lose from their boobs, so you never know. Good luck.

ETA: you can check out mybodygallery.com to see pictures of women who are 5'8" and 140lbs.
  • Losing weight doesn't change your body shape/structure. Some thin girls have curves, some medium-larger girls don't.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    It doesn't really sound like you want to lose weight, just that you think you should be what the scale says you should be. At your height (my bff is your height) you look fabulous, I bet. Maybe start extremely small. Don't try to lose weight, just try to tone/build lean muscle. I bet you'd be LOTS happier!
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    You don't have to lose weight! You're right, there's no such thing as spot training, but strength training can still do wonders to your belly. And you won't look overly toned unless you lift a lot - you're a women after all, it's difficult to get rid of the body fat :wink: maybe start with that, and if you're not satisfied with the results, cut a little? :smile:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I my opinion a woman 5'9 140 is too skinny. Drop a few pounds but strength train to reduce your bodyfat.

Keep those curves!!!
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    I agree with the other posters above.

Doesnt sound like you really need to lose weight, but maybe concentrate on toning through heavy weight training and HIIT.

I'm a tiny bit taller than you and my goal is 165 pounds :P
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    You sound absolutely delicious as you are.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Is it getting hot here or only me feeling this? :O
  • LunaHare
    LunaHare Posts: 30 Member
    I agree, do some excercise to show off the muscles under your tummy but it doesn't sound like you need/want to lose weight.

For what its worth, I have gone from 150 lbs to 136 lbs currently and I still have my curves :) It just depends on your body.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    psst, I've lost 14 kg (er... in pounds I think it's 29) and I went from EU 75D to 70DD - though sadly, there's a bit more sag now. Oh well, it would have happened eventually anyways and now I'm still young and can enjoy 'em ;) or rather, my fiancé can.

I've lost inches everywhere but the proportions are still the same! My waist is now 64 cm and hips are 93 cm
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    My waist is tiny and my boobs are 32/34DD and I have hips too. My arms and legs are quite slim and toned, not too muscular nor flabby. The only issue is I have a little belly on my lower stomach! Jeans suck it in nicely, but obviously I'd rather it gone completely!

That's body type and bone structure and will not go away if you lose weight.

And you can't KNOW that your breasts will get smaller. I'd be willing to guess they won't. Mine are the same size no matter what I weigh and it sounds like you are an hourglass, so you won't lose them.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I my opinion a woman 5'9 140 is too skinny. Drop a few pounds but strength train to reduce your bodyfat.

Keep those curves!!!

In my opinion, your opinion sucks. I'm 5'9 and trying to go to 140... and as you can tell from my pictures, I'm def. not too skinny.

To OP:
    If your happy the way you are, then why are you even here?

If you don't want to lose weight, then don't... maintain what you have, and you won't have worry about losing those "curves" of yours.
  • rml_16

Keep those curves!!!

You don't know what she'll look like at 140. You don't know her frame. That's a ridiculously stupid thing to say. And, as I pointed out, her curves are due to her bone structure, not her weight. She'd have them if she was 90 pounds.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    ... her curves are due to her bone structure, not her weight. She'd have them if she was 90 pounds.

Tatas have bones? Who knew?
    The things one learns on MFP!

OP - perhaps: exercise hard, go slow on the weight loss and re-evaluate. Go for fitness, not weight loss...
  • rml_16
    ... her curves are due to her bone structure, not her weight. She'd have them if she was 90 pounds.

Tatas have bones? Who knew?
    The things one learns on MFP!

No, but she describes an hourglass figure which means a wider rib cage and breasts with more mammary tissue than fat. I have the same shape she does. I have been 102 pounds and I have been 166 pounds. I do have some idea what I'm talking about.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member

Keep those curves!!!

Bah...

I'm 5'9" and 137 lbs. I still have plenty of curves! My waist is 12 inches smaller than my chest and 11 inches smaller than my hips.

When I was 165 pounds, I thought I looked frumpy and 'blousy'.

Every body is different, and you can't make a blanket statement than 140 lbs is too skinny for 5'9".
  • Misstiff33
    Misstiff33 Posts: 2 Member
    So I'm currently 165lbs and 5'8". My ideal weight is around 140ish.
    I eat healthily, hardly any junk, just too big portions and too many carbs!
    The main thing that is holding me back, is that I'm TERRIFIED of losing my curves. And I don't mean how people call larger ladies 'curvy' to be nice, I love my figure. My waist is tiny and my boobs are 32/34DD and I have hips too. My arms and legs are quite slim and toned, not too muscular nor flabby. The only issue is I have a little belly on my lower stomach! Jeans suck it in nicely, but obviously I'd rather it gone completely!

I'm just scared I'm going to lose all that, I know my boobs will disappear and I REALLY don't want that. I feel feminine and sexy with them! Even if I don't show them off that much haha! But they look pretty in bras etc :)

ANYWAY. I'm rambling now! I know there's no such thing as spot training and I need to cut portions and carbs down. But is there anyway to try and keep a feminine shape and not get all gym bunny/overly toned looking? I like the softer, yet shaped and toned look. If you know what I mean!

Thank you! xxx

If you feel happy, healthy, sexy and love your body - why change it! 165 at 5'8 is a healthy weight. Maybe just focus on a healthy lifestyle and enjoy your body!

I'm 5'7 and feel amazing at 165lbs! That's my goal! I don't need to be 140 to feel amazing, 165 is awesome and everything is the right size for me (boobs, butt, thighs, arms)... and my man (bonus). :)
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    I dont know...
    If you really are "terrified" to change- then dont. You sound fine as is - but most of the world is 10-20 lbs over what they should be. If thats ok and youre comfortable maybe you just need to incorporate some exercise into your life.

When ppl start with I want to stay soft and not get "muscle-y" I really am not sure what advice or path to point them towards. Soft is easy- just keep eating and doing what you do- you'll stay soft and curvy for sure.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    I mean your bmi is at a healthy weight, I think. Maybe you could focus on toning/losing inches instead of losing weight. I have the same issues. I have large breasts, wide hips and a tiny waist. Since I've been losing weight, I've mostly noticed it around my waist, which is great! But I don't want to lose my "girly" parts, but I do want to lose my stomach (and reach a healthy bmi). I originally had my goal set at 125lbs (I'm 5'2"). But now, I'm going to reach 135lbs and evaluate. If I'm happy with my size, I'll maintain, but if I'm not I'll lose another 5lbs and evaluate again. It's a process.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Ok - I'm going to sound like creepy stalker guy now - but really we can't make any informed decisions here without pics of the OP :laugh: