30 Day Shred - Please tell me it gets better!!

Options
I'm on my second day of Jillian's 30 day shred and I am SORE!!! Ive been working out the past 2 months (elliptical, on day 3 of week 3 C25K) so I really believed that this would be a good addition to boost my workouts.

My 5th anniversary is at the end of December and I really want to look and feel amazing. Hubby is very healthy and a runner so I wanted to surprise him and go for a run together on our anniversary.

All that being said, I'm committed but I'm really feeling it from yesterday and this morning. Does anyone have any motivational stories of completing the 30 day shred? I know I can do this but I'd like to hear someone else's story to keep the motivation up!!

Thanks

Replies

• klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I promise, it does get better. The first few days are the worst and then it levels off. It is totally worth it in the end though. It was the first "program" I did when I changed my lifestyle. It kicked off a committment to exercise that has lasted almost a year now. You can do it!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    After the first week, you should feel better. You will probably always get sore on a few workouts but it shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    yes stick with it you'll be suprised how if feels easy later and don;t worry if you feel the same way starting L2 and again at L3 you will see the results - make sure your take your measurements.

good luck
  • Life_is_For_Living
    Options
    I too can vouch for the 30 day shred as I was so sore for the first 4 days (even using the loo was a painful experience). I am just coming to the end of Level 2 and although I puff frantically throughout and sweat profusely I am enjoying it. I feel stronger and more toned and looking forward to Level 3.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am on day 26 and it gets a little more challenging, I think you can handle it if you have gone this far. Good luck!!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah it hurts initially but hurts in a good way! Just tell yourself that your muscles are waking up and getting stronger! It's a good pain. Stick with it and it does get less painful. It's a great program and you'll see results and even better.. you'll feel them!

I was definitely not into exercising every day but found the 30 Day Shred was easy to do.. only 20 minutes a day! You can do anything for 20 minutes a day!

Good luck! Keep it up and you'll definitely reach your goal!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    it gets better. in other words, you become stronger.

i was lifting 2x a week (lifting heavy too), running 5k in under 31min and hiking with my 3year old in his stroller up to 3 hours on a regular basis. then i wanted to see what the fuss was all about and started 30DS. let me tell you...i got my a** handed to me on day one. never in my life was i so sore after a workout. the push-ups nearly killed me. i think it's the combination of working out upper body and lower body AND cardio all at once. but i kept at it. after 4 days, level 1 became significantly easier. i also didn't move to level 2 until i could complete level 1 at natalie's ability (she's the beast on the left side...LOVE her!). i figured i wasn't being honest with myself if i moved on to level 2 at anita's lower impact level.

i am now on day 4 of level 2. i love every minute of this punishment. the walking push-ups were a bit tough in the beginning but i'm proud to say i can do every single one they do in the video.

consistency is key. keep at it. don't give up. it's only 25 minutes a day ... which is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. i'll dedicate 25 minutes of my day everyday if i can be as lean and strong as jillian herself.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! I went through it once already about 6 months ago and am going to start again on Monday. The first time through I lost 1 lb. BUT I lost LOTS of inches overall. 3 off my waist, about 3/4 off each arm, around 1 1/2 off hips, my back muscles were more defined. I did NOT do it everyday for 30 days. It took me 6 weeks to do because I took two weeks to do each level and had 2 rest days a week and still had amazing results.

One thing that I found helped alot with sore muscles is to go for a 20 min. walk at some point during your day as well. It helped to keep my muscles moving and from tightening up too much.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • TakeLifeIn
    Options
    :smile: It does get better. I am doing it too. You are so on the right track with a Jillian Michaels' workout plan. By doing strength training you will burn more fat and continue to burn fat longer in the day. You really should give your muscles a rest after a couple days of the 30 day Shred. What you will find out though is you will be building up your endurance and you will be able to run right along with your husband. Good luck and keep up the good work. Sounds like you are highly motivated which is awesome! :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am doing day 5 of level one tonight. Just keep at it. Yes, it gets easier each time.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    :smile: It does get better. I am doing it too. You are so on the right track with a Jillian Michaels' workout plan. By doing strength training you will burn more fat and continue to burn fat longer in the day. You really should give your muscles a rest after a couple days of the 30 day Shred. What you will find out though is you will be building up your endurance and you will be able to run right along with your husband. Good luck and keep up the good work. Sounds like you are highly motivated which is awesome! :happy:

Yes, rest your muscles! A lot of folks online are spreading rumors that you shouldn't take any rest days with this program. NOT TRUE! Rest days are just as important as workout days! Personally, I'm doing 30ds on MWF, light cardio on Tu/Th, and rest days on the weekend. Jillian recommends two days of shred, light cardio day, then rest day. I'm not sure if you count C25k as light cardio. It was my only workout when I was doing it. I finished it the week before I started 30ds. Personally, I would not have made it past the warm-up of 30ds if not for finishing c25k. :laugh:
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    it will get better..be patient with yourself..give yourself rest inbetween for now and work yourself into it gradually. I had to do modified jumping jacks and push ups my first two times.. It gets easier..promise :)
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It gets better and it is worth it! It is a hard workout - but each day it gets easier if you stick with it. Honestly, I think it is better to go every day without a break instead of taking a day off here and there, because your body adapts better if you do it every day.

Plus, what I say to myself whenever it gets hard (or when I am having an off day and I don't really feel like doing it) is - it is only 20 minutes! I can push through 20 minutes - especially when it is such a productive 20 minutes.

You can do it - and trust me, you will be SO GLAD you did!!!
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get better. The first few times when I started it, my legs were wobbly and sore, but now I can do it with no problem!!
  • TELR85
    TELR85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your kind words and advice. I'm defintitely inspired to keep going.

THANK YOU!!!! :happy:
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well... I don't have a story about completing the 30DS, however I do have a great ending :)

I started out on MFP and picked up a copy of 30DS because everyone seemed to be doing it. I did for about 3 days. Yes, I was a bit sore. Then... I started reading more of the forums. I came across multiple women who were heavy lifting... and getting outstanding results... Rae & CarrieEggo being two of the women who were very inspirational to me when I first started. So, I started lifting heavy weights at home after reading Starting Strength and watching the DVD. So glad I did! Never has my butt perked up so quickly as it did when I started lifting heavy... and I quickly reached my "goal weight" as well.

I would be bored out of my mind if I was still doing videos like that. They are a nice change to throw in and mix things up a bit... but nothing can take the place of strength training.

I will say this... please take rest days during the 30DS... your body is meant to rest and repair itself... not bulldoze straight through in 30 days. I don't care what anyone else says. Read up on how the muscle tears down and then rebuilds... you will understand why a rest day is imperative.

ETA: After 4 months of lifting I picked up the 30DS one day for a change and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and effortless it was to get through... I don't even think I broke a sweat really. It was such a contrast with what it felt like the first time I tried it.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First day of 30ds I was pretty sure I was going to die!
    Second day I was absolutely sure I was going to die!
    Third day I was proud when I was done.
    Fourth day I felt great!
    Fifth day Started to not be able to really push each of the strength pieces.
    Sixth day took a day off.
    Seventh day felt great!

I have talked to quite a few people who were not in the best shape to start with and they all agreed to take breaks, your muscles need to get a break from the stress, otherwise you could burn up and quit. I am going to stick with 1 until I can do it and do it well. Then I will move on, it might take me 45 days to get through it but I bet 3 months from now when I start it over again I will be better!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It gets better and it is worth it! It is a hard workout - but each day it gets easier if you stick with it. Honestly, I think it is better to go every day without a break instead of taking a day off here and there, because your body adapts better if you do it every day.

Plus, what I say to myself whenever it gets hard (or when I am having an off day and I don't really feel like doing it) is - it is only 20 minutes! I can push through 20 minutes - especially when it is such a productive 20 minutes.

You can do it - and trust me, you will be SO GLAD you did!!!

Unless you are slacking and not giving it your all, you NEED rest days. Overtraining can potentially be harmful! Without rest days, your subsequent workouts are inferior because you are less than your best. Also, your muscles do not grow on workout days; they grow on rest days.

See: https://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-0031-1271764
    and: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1450881

1. Amino acids are used up faster than they are supplied in the diet. This is sometimes called "protein deficiency".
    2. The body becomes calorie-deficient and the rate of break down of muscle tissue increases.
    3. Levels of cortisol (the "stress" hormone) are elevated for long periods of time.
    4. The body spends more time in a catabolic state than an anabolic state (perhaps as a result of elevated cortisol levels).
    5. Excessive strain to the nervous system during training.

Overtraining may be accompanied by one or more concomitant symptoms:
    1. Persistent muscle soreness
    2. Persistent fatigue
    3. Elevated resting heart rate
    4. Reduced heart rate variability
    5. Increased susceptibility to infections
    6. Increased incidence of injuries
    7. Irritability
    8. Depression
    9. Mental breakdown
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    it made me really sore too. =)

i took a break on my 3rd day, then another on my 7th and now I find I don't need the breaks as much and I can sit down on the toilet without having to plop myself down because my legs are so sore LOL
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to do because I took two weeks to do each level and had 2 rest days a week and still had amazing results.

^^This. I did it the same way - taking rest days when I needed them - and still lost several inches all around. It's worth it and you can do it!