Lifting weights when sick?

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
Alright, I *feel* okay, just a little more tired than normal, but I've been sick since Wednesday (maybe even a little earlier). I saw a doc yesterday for an (unrelated) issue, and she was like, "Wow, your lymph nodes are huge!" (in my neck)

But I don't feel that bad. And I've rested since Wednesday.

I've read that "neck and above," you're fine to lift weights. I can't seem to find some good medical verification of that though.

Any experiences with lifting when fighting a cold/possibly sinus infection? Again, no coughing, sneezing, runny nose, chest congestion, etc... just slight sore throat and tiredness, with apparently big ol' lymph nodes (not visible; she felt them).

EDIT: Since no one seems to read all the posts... I HAVE A HOME GYM. I WON'T BE INFECTING YOU EITHER WAY (unless an STD). SO CHILL.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day. Working out hard can lower your resistance and you end up worse.

Plus I don't want your cooties at my gym
  • firstsip
    Options
    Home weight set. Comment invalid.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what I just had. Take a rest day! I tried to push through and get some weights and a small walk in the other day. I woke up feeling 10 times worse than I did the day before. Rest and feel better or you'll be sick a lot longer than you want to be and trust me, that crappy little workout was not worth it.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    take a rest day and let your energy tank refill. you don't want to push it too hard when you're already feeling fatigued which could cause you to feel tired for an additional day or two.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're not feeling that bad, just trust your instincts and don't push yourself to the MAXXX (XXXtreme Doritos style)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Especially lifting at home... I'd probably go for it, but I wouldn't beat myself up if I had to lower the weights a little.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would rest since my body needs some time to recover, but am lazy so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Take a day off. You're not doing your body any favors if you push yourself right now, you're body is trying to heal. By working out you're giving your body yet another thing it will need to recover from.

If you're feeling a little better tomorrow, do some light exercises and slowly work your way back over the next couple of days.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Especially lifting at home... I'd probably go for it, but I wouldn't beat myself up if I had to lower the weights a little.

Unless I have a fever and feel delirious, I'd go for it! Working out actually helps shorten the duration of my colds.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    we were taught in personal training class that if you have cold and can't breathe well through your nose (stopped up) or have a sorethroat, or have stomach "issues" we'll call them. Then you should NOT work out. if it's just like "meh i don't feel good" it's perfectly fine to work out as it can help boost immunity response.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I've taken TWO rest days though... haven't done anything, cardio or lifting, since Wednesday (other than obvious day to day activities).

:( Poop.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

lol...this. Feel better, one day or two won't kill you. Said from the woman who had to lay off for a week and a half after surgery. Gonna kill it tonight though...:bigsmile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My thought is this.

If you "feel" like lifting, then go lift. If you feel dead tired and need the rest, then rest, missing a day won't hurt.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting heavy with the sniffles this week. Its just a runny nose, i can breathe through it, and i can squat. Havent bothered with cardio though
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    It depends, if you are working out in a gym, I would say don't. You really don't know if you are contagious or not.

If you have a private home gym, then I really don't think it would be a problem, as long as you felt good.
    It is ok to miss a few sessions to rest and recuperate.

Good Luck!

ETA: When I click to reply to your post, there was only one reply. No other post to read.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options

^^ This^^ It's not fair to the other people in the gym. But if it is just a head cold, and you can workout at home, then by all means go for it. You know your body best.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was feeling pretty good on Wednesday after skipping exercise on Monday and Tuesday from being sick. So I did my home lifting session and my 30min stationary bike ride. Yesterday, I felt worse than ever and today it's not good either. I absolutely hate the thought of missing exercise, but I'm going to take a break until this passes. Staying on target with the food is the main thing. As my husband has been saying over and again this week, "Health before fitness." bleh! haha! Even being sick and missing all but one day of exercise this week, I still managed to lose two pounds; which was a huge surprise for me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

^^ This^^ It's not fair to the other people in the gym. But if it is just a head cold, and you can workout at home, then by all means go for it. You know your body best.

She did just say she works out at home, the thread isn't so long that you couldn't have read that part
  • firstsip
    Options

She did just say she works out at home, the thread isn't so long that you couldn't have read that part

I like you.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    There is no point in working out if you can't give it 100%. This is the same response I give to people when they ask if they should work out hungover.

I took 2 weeks off a few weeks ago (work travel mainly) and came back stronger than ever.