Bought giant thing of quick oats by accident =(

Options
SomeoneSomeplace
SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
I like old fashioned oats cos they taste better and have a better texture plus I know quite a few recipes using them but I grabbed a giant tub of Quick Oat instead of Old Fashioned by accident, I don't want them to go to waste. Any recipes you guys recommend? They're just the plain ones. A genetic brand so I can add probably anything to them.

A recipe using canned pumpkin would be perfect

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I love quick oats! Sometimes when I have time in the morning (weekends) I will make some for my bf and I and add sliced banana, brown sugar, and a little almond milk.
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    I bought a big bag of them and divided them into my own instant oatmeal packs. You can put pretty much anything with them: brown sugar, salt, freeze dried fruits, powdered milk, nuts. And then you can just add milk or water, and microwave them like you would the regular oatmeal packets. I also like to add mine to yogurt, and I have made pancakes with mine too. They also work in cookies and bars. Hope this helps! :)
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bumpidy bump because I bought one by accident too!
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know these recipes start with "old fashioned oats...don't use quick oats" but I would try it anyway! :)

http://travisjessjones.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-oatmeal-muffins.html

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/moist-pumpkin-protein-muffins/

Both of these bloggers have several recipes that use oats (that have been whirled) in place of flour. I've bookmarked several!
  • AwesomeOne66
    Options
    put a cup or so in a tub of warm water and soak your feet, makes them feel soft and smooth!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You can probably take them back to the store and exchange them, unless you've opened them already.

I like the old fashioned oats, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you haven't opened them you can likely return them. Otherwise, you should be able to add whatever you usually add to old fashioned oats. There's not a lot of difference between the two, other than cooking time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    pumpkin oat pancakes. it just came to me - haven't tried it. maybe substitute 1/2 cup of pancake mix (i use bisquick) for the oats.

i make my own granola balls. it calls for oats. peanut butter, oats, honey, dried fruit, coconut, dark chocolate. all rolled together and freeze

another suggestion i've never tried. grind it up into "flour" and use it on chicken (breaded, baked chicken).
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle instant oats on sliced apples and pears and bake them in the oven. makes a tasty low-cal fruit crisp!
  • luckyroot
    luckyroot Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sitting here eating my pumpkin oatmeal and just about in heaven it's so good! Made the oatmeal with water, and added 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, a splenda, some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. SOOOO GOOD!

Another thing to know - the oats won't go bad. I always have them in the house - but then, I eat them regularly (go thru the large container in about a 2-3 month period).

Enjoy!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try adding peanut butter, cinnamon, cranberries/raisins, chopped nuts or sometimes I add a fruit cup to mine :)
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use quick oats in my protein shakes =)
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Make Christmas cookies for your family and give them all away :D
  • naschulze
    Options
    i add a mixture of fruit and nuts, like apples and almonds, bananas and pecans or peaches and macadamias. I always add some pumpkin pie or apple pie spice and a little bit of sugar or sugar substitiute.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a common thing to do, but I've returned things to the grocery store when I've bought the wrong kind or I thought it was bad (e.g. fruit, milk) when I got it home. I've never had a problem with grocery store customer service at Kroger or HEB.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You could try using them to thiicken soups or casseroles?
  • bdradtke
    bdradtke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use quick oats to make oatmeal cinnamon chip cookies - they are incredibly delicious.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    overnight oats with pumpkin... http://www.katheats.com/pumpkin-pie-2
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes and ideas.

I like the flour idea. That's ingenious!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use them instead of bread in recipes for stuff like meatloaf and meatballs.