40 year old and up runners

Options
Looking for 40 year old and up runners for motivation, support, and to share info. I have recently run a couple of 5ks and am now in training for a 10k. I am addicted! Anyone else out there a late bloomer in the sport?

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm a late bloomer, too--later than you! I'm 60 and ran my first 5K race in March 2012 and my second 5K in April. I ran a 10K in June. I'm running a 5K with my niece on Oct. 20th, and I'm training for a half marathon in March 2013. Who knows? There may be a full marathon in my future. I have a neighbor (male) who started running at age 62, and I know he's completed at least two marathons. I've read recently that distance running is good for seniors--good for the heart and bone density! You could be running for a long time! Have fun!
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm 44, and started running longer distances (for me) about a year and a half ago. I've been trying to get in about 20km a week and I have run two 10k races. It has been fun, for the most part!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Late bloomer also--started running at age 41, 1 1/2 years and 40 pounds ago ;)

I've done a handful of 5ks, a couple 10ks, and 3 half marathons so far. I found 2 running groups through my local running specialty store and made friends that keep me motivated and supported when I need it.

Edited to add: OP you look way closer to 40 than 50! :flowerforyou:
  • andreajp
    andreajp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and just started the Couch to 5k (I'm in week 2). Ten years ago I used to run 3-4 miles, four or five times a week. I started because I wanted to lose weight and once I got to the point where I could run three miles the weight just started falling off of me. I ended up losing 60 lbs. I'm hoping for similar results :)

I love running and can't wait until I'm to the point where I can run a couple of miles without stopping or walking. Even just doing the C25K I feel so much better the days I run compared to the days I just walk. It's like I feel good all day long.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 42 and although I've flirted with running off and on when I was younger, I never really pursued it until this year. It's the only thing that I can do easily and inexpensively with my kids. I did a 5km run in August with my then-2 year old in her jogging pram, and am going to be doing a 10km in January next year with her, too. Can't leave her with anyone, and she really loves coming along. I can't believe how much I am enjoying it.

I have just had a couple of weeks break because of our school holidays, and this week it has been raining and windy so unable to do it outdoors until next week when the weather gets better for my littlie. Can't afford for her to get a chill.

It was a struggle when I started, but I have definitely been bitten by the bug, and am keen to keep increasing my stamina. Next year I would love to compete in a half marathon, but that really depends on what is going on with everything else in my life. If it all falls into place, then I will be completely stoked. In the meantime, I don't need to do it as a formal event, I try to get out 5-6 days per week.

I have the treadmill as a backstop on days where weather or my daughter's health are a factor.

I agree - the days when I get a run in are infinitely more positive for me than the days where I don't.

Wil
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Turning 45 tomorrow! I mean today (after midnight here). Started running at age 42. Have since run six 5ks and one half-marathon. Running a 15k this Sunday. I love it, and am hooked! I reciently joined a running group....it's so much fun running with others, they push you to go longer and run better. We run 4 days a week!

Please feel free to friend me....
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Also a late bloomer and addicted! Could always use more friends who run :-)
  • cowboy48
    cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started running at 49. Weighed over 300 pounds. On my 50th birthday, at 175 pounds, I ran my first 1/2 marathon. Now another year later and I have run 2 more 1/2 marathons and am looking at doing a full marathon. I was the chubby little kid that turned into a rather large adult-lol, so never ,ever ran before. Now there is nothing I like better than getting out for a run.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and just started Week 3 of C25K last night. It was a little tough and I had to stop part way through the second run but I'll get there! lol Never thought I would like running but I do so far.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I started running at 49. Weighed over 300 pounds. On my 50th birthday, at 175 pounds, I ran my first 1/2 marathon. Now another year later and I have run 2 more 1/2 marathons and am looking at doing a full marathon. I was the chubby little kid that turned into a rather large adult-lol, so never ,ever ran before. Now there is nothing I like better than getting out for a run.

wow, that's awesome!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running.
    Have fun & enjoy. I'm in my 40s and try and enter 3 or 4 long runs a year.
    Addicted Z.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well...how about 37? I started running in March of this year. I did my first 5K in May and have done about one a month since then. I'm training for a 10K and it's going slowly. I'm not a natural runner, so even after 7 months, it's still hard for me.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a late bloomer! I am 50 and just started running a year ago this past Sept. I also am addicted to running~love it! Am running a half marathon in two weeks (getting a little nervous about it, too!). Have lost over 100 pounds and am thrilled!
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in April 2013 and started running about 2 years ago. Have done one 5K and an 8K. Right now I'm a month into my second round of Insanity but I'm really missing my running! Will be back at it as soon as I finish. Sending you a friend request now. :smile:
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 6 Day 1 of C25k, and I'm 41. I'll send you a request.
    I have NEVER been a runner. I hated it in high school gym class. I did start to get into it a little bit about 7 years ago (wow, that long ago) when I was hiking thru the hills. Never really 'took off' though.
    I'm now deciding between my first 5k. (thinking of doing a 5k at Disney World)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and started running in January, and ran my first half marathon in September. My next race is a 12K in a couple weeks. Friend request me if you want!
  • soultrain1913
    soultrain1913 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am about to turn 41 and have been running for about 3 years now. I am running a relay leg of a marathon TOMORROW(7 miles) and training for my 2nd half marathon in December! After that I have a half scheduled every month starting at the beginning of the year. Not sure that I can do it...but I want to try. I could use the encouragement too. I'll send you a friend request! :-)
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 y.o., turning 40 next month. I've started running actually one year ago, just before winter, telling myself that if I could keep up with it all winter long, I could accomplish anything! So I ran outside all winter and loved it - even with -25 C temperatures, I was out there, and am still out there every day! I'm actually babying my right knee, so I cut my daily mileage, but definitely going out there every day!

At first, it really was about losing weight... now it's about personal records, endurance, strength, mental accomplishment!! lol And I'm definitely addicted to running and to the feeling we get after a run!!! Never done either a 5k, 10k or marathon, but did sign up for a Spartan Race next May :laugh: I guess I'm doing everything the other way around! :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome in the running family!
  • jennycasper
    jennycasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in May and have recently made a triumphant return to running. In, get this, middle school, I was quite the track star and logged an 7:33 mile. Then, life. I now am a WAHM with two boys 5 and 2 so I struggle to squeeze in time to run, but have motivation to run faster.
    I completed the C25K this summer and am planning to run in a race in December.
    Good luck to everyone running as the weather turns. Running in the Pacific Northwest fall means running in the rain.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    VERY VERY late bloomer started at 58. Will be running my second half marathon in Miami this January with my four kids! I'll be 61 we are doing this for my birthday!! Never too late I run 6 miles 6 days a week! When I'm training for half I do one 10-13 mile plus every week. If can do it anyone can. Never ran before in my life.