Your Online Alterego

Options
GorillaEsq
GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
Are you different "online" versus "real life?"

I've been online since the Internet became deregulated in 1994, and we used tin cans to hook-up to modems. My practice centers around Internet, computer technology, intellectual property, et al. I'm basically a computer nerd with a law degree (which makes me a nerd squared I think, mathematically speaking).

In short, I'm very "online."

There are some people who might say my "online persona" is a bit "intense." They'd use other words, but the Community Guidelines on this particular site forbids such types of free-expression, so we'll leave it at "intense." (Feel free to email me with your actually descriptors... most of my haters already do... it amuses me to no end.)

When individuals meet me in person, who only knew me from online forums, the media, advertisements, seminars, etc, their initial response is always the same... basically, "Holy crap, you are exactly the same in real life as you appear to be online (or in the media)."

...And some don't say that as a "compliment."

I find this interesting, because I always considered my "online" persona to be less "intense" than my "real life" persona. Apparently, it is not.

Thus the questions and topic of discussion...

- Are you different online vs offline?
- Are other people you've met different from one platform to the other?
- If there is a difference in persona for you and/or others, why is that?
- Is anonymity the root of all evil on the Internet?

Happy Friday.
Be safe this weekend.
And keep being awesome.

(Oh, and "alter ego" is two words. I meant to change that before I posted and forgot. Sorry)

Replies

• fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am who I am. I will admit that my erotic side is more intense on here than initially in person, although that side does appear once I am comfortable.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I am who I am. I will admit that my erotic side is more intense on here than initially in person, although that side does appear once I am comfortable.
    Do you think the "erotic side" is exacerbated by the fact that no one knows who you are?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much me. I think maybe I have more courage/confidence online.

I met my husband online. He's pretty much the goof he was online and that's what I fell in love with. =)
  • dalana84
    dalana84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going to think about this one and decide...... I've never really payed attention for myself but I know quite a few people who live vicariously through the Internet because they can't (or won't) try living real life
  • dumbbanana
    Options
    I'm not really a dumb banana, I just play one online.
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options
    ...I know quite a few people who live vicariously through the Internet because they can't (or won't) try living real life

Pardon me for saying so, but isn't this PART of real life? I'm real, sitting here typing this. What about that isn't real?
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am told I am far more charming in real life. And smell better.

Seriously though, I do think internet behaviours are changing the way we interact IRL. Initially, online communication didn't require the accountability that face to face did. I am glad to see that it is harder and harder to be someone different online than in real life.

That being said, it is fun to be anonymous. As evidenced by much of the behaviour you see in forums like this.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    ...I know quite a few people who live vicariously through the Internet because they can't (or won't) try living real life

Pardon me for saying so, but isn't this PART of real life? I'm real, sitting here typing this. What about that isn't real?
    Me too. However, I'm actually a 97 year old black woman in Nebraska.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    - Are you different online vs offline?
    Yes, I'm more of a douche in person. I have way less "friends" in real life.

- Are other people you've met different from one platform to the other?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes I think "wow, you looked A LOT different in your pictures.."

- If there is a difference in persona for you and/or others, why is that?
    Because MFP will give me strikes. Oh, and for some reason family members added me on Facebook. I just don't post anything there. I don't want grandma to see me talking about d*cks and stuff.

- Is anonymity the root of all evil on the Internet?
    Yeah, probably.
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options

Me too. However, I'm actually a 97 year old black woman in Nebraska.

...Grandma?! O_O
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am more likely to stand up for myself online than I am in real life. But otherwise, I'm the same. I'm the shy, quiet, innocent one until you get to know the real me, and I'm loud, outgoing and, well, a major perv. :wink: Most people don't realize this about me until they've known me for a while.

Edited for typos.
  • fawndam
    Options
    Do you think the "erotic side" is exacerbated by the fact that no one knows who you are?
    [/quote

That could be true. The intensity grows as more people get involved. There are only a few who keep my attention also. Why is that?
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I'm the shy, quiet, innocent one
    Me too. I'm hoping to one day come out of my shell.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I kinda like it in my shell, it's cozy!
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options

^^^^^ Pretty much this...
  • fawndam
    Options

Let me help you with that shell!:love:
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    I am who am as well, BUUUUUT I am 100% less social offline. More often then not I do not speak unless spoken to...
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I learned to socialize before twitter (ZOMG, REALLY LULZ). So I'm the same online as I am in person. You just pick up the sarcasm better IRL.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    In real life I am shy, reticent and modest...
  • FloridasFinest
    Options
    I am more likely to stand up for myself online than I am in real life. But otherwise, I'm the same. I'm the shy, quiet, innocent one until you get to know the real me, and I'm loud, outgoing and, well, a major perv. :wink: Most people don't realize this about me until they've known me for a while.

This describes me exactly! I'm a sweetheart to everyone (online & in person) but once I get comfortable with someone, I can be a bit of a smartass. :happy: