Upping Lung Capacity

Options
Hello,

I'm hoping some of you wonderful people will be able to help me.

I've started to properly run now (around 10 minutes straight) and I'm getting to the point where I know I need more oxygan but cannot seem to breath enough in, without sounding like I'm having a asthma/panic attach. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can increase my overall lung capacity?

Thanks for any help

Nessy

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    By running ;)

Really, this is a big part of building stamina and running is a very good way to do this. But it does take time, unfortunately. You could try running for a bit shorter say 8 minutes, walking a minute, and run another few minutes. You can also try slowing the speed with which you run until you're able to catch your breath again. You're doing great, so just keep up the running and your breath will catch up with what you're doing.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are patient you can do this without spending any money:

many exercises that are used by singers will help. You can do most of these whilst at rest. Continuing to run will inevitably increase your capacity if you breathe deeply, controlled rather than short, shallow gasps which could be counter-productive e.g. hyperventilating.
    I cannot run because of arthritis but I do know what you mean about not feeling able to get enough air from using the cross trainer and rowing machine. It is panic-inducing, isn't it?

I have found this URL which you may find useful: http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Your-Lung-Capacity
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I try to breathe in through my nose and out my mouth and I take in the breath for a slow count of two and then let it out for a slow count of two. I find it actually helps, and for some strange reason I manage to sync my breathing with whatever song is playing on my ipod.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This may sound daft, but i count, breathe in for 4 steps, out for 3, if I'm doing a hill & struggling a bit, then it drops to 3 in, 2 out, & really pushing it 2 in 1 out, but that's only when I'm doing some interval stuff between jogging/sprinting. It's the only way I find I can keep my breathing under control. I'm asthmatic & always take my meds an hour before I run & take them with me just in case, but thankfully have not had to use them during any running & the most I have run in one go is 90 mins, 8 miles just at a slow jog with walking breaks for drinking - not able to run & drink! You are doing great, keep at it, it will come with time :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It will happen over time. Slow long breaths with help rather than short breaths. That can lead to hyperventilation from what I understand.

I usually inhale for 3 breaths and out for 3 breaths no matter what I'm doing.

Keep running and you'll see it increase
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in walking for a bit to recover slightly. Your speed and endurance will improve quicker by mixing up the speed rather than just plodding at the maximum your lungs will currently allow you.
    When I restarted running in August I ran at a good pace for 300 meters and walked for 100 meters - repeat the cycle until you get to your target distance.
    Over time I increased the running distance (and speed) and had fewer recovery walks. I can now run 3km at a good running pace.
    Google "Fartlek training" if you want to know more.

If you are really struggling you could be like me and a natural "chest breather" - I tend to raise my chest rather than breathe from the diaphragm. You have to consciously breathe in and exhale fully and get in a rhythm with your running.
  • glynfreeman
    glynfreeman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its not a matter of upping lung capacity but improving the whole cardio vascular system which basically means facilitating more efficient use and transport of oxygen from the air you breathe right through to the muscles that use it. My motto is no pain no gain, along with more pain more gain and you're doing well if you're hitting the limits and exercising at or just below that point so don't be afraid to back off in intensity and incorporate various recovery periods in your workout (run), I found the quickest gains in feeling good at a set speed come from training short periods in the Anaerobic Threshold area at the top of aerobic, without a monitor you can assess this as the area where it appears you are ie. get breathless after a couple of minutes and then lower intensity backwards and forwards. BrianMac is a great resource, this article explains a lot
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
    I've got great lung capacity (I blow off the air scale at the doctors) but system doesn't use it that well, training the CV system changes that and its a matter of enjoying the journey. Good luck....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you truly ARE asthmatic, your issues likely have nothing to do with either breathing or "lung capacity". The simple answer is that you ate trying to work at too high an intensity for your current fitness level. Your can either switch to a lower intensity or continue at the same speed for shorter intervals. Focusing on "breathing techniques" will not be that productive UNLESS you are tense and rigid when you run and a breathing pattern will help you relax your form. But it's lack of fitness, not lack of breathing.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Run more

Longer more complicated answer: You're probably running too fast, which in turn is making you wheeze like an asthmatic. You should run slow enough in training runs that you can talk in complete sentences. You might puff a bit on the sentences, but you can speak normally without wanting to die. If this is not you, then slow down. Once you slow down, start increasing the time you run. You can run ten minutes straight with your current pace, but if you could get enough oxygen you'd probably do more like fifteen or twenty no problem. Once you're running at the correct training pace, you start increasing your distance over time and your speed will naturally increase. You'll improve your whole cardiovascular system, which is really what you need. More air in your lungs won't help much if your heart and circulatory system can't get the oxygen to your muscles effciently.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you truly ARE asthmatic, your issues likely have nothing to do with either breathing or "lung capacity". The simple answer is that you ate trying to work at too high an intensity for your current fitness level. Your can either switch to a lower intensity or continue at the same speed for shorter intervals. Focusing on "breathing techniques" will not be that productive UNLESS you are tense and rigid when you run and a breathing pattern will help you relax your form. But it's lack of fitness, not lack of breathing.

^^^ This

Slow down.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This article has been helpful to me: http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Breathe-When-Running-19967835
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    ^^I second that.

Your problem isn't your lungs. It is the capacity of your cardiovascular system to transport oxygen to the working muscles and their ability to use that oxygen. It's a function of heart stroke volume, blood volume, capillarization of the working muscles, mitocondrial density, and probably a few other things. The fix is to do a lot of aerobic exercise within your capacity for a long time.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I'm hoping that this info will help me. I am an asthmatic(exercise induced), so absolutely no running. I am working on taking flights of stairs w/ less weazing/heavy breathing at the top. i work on the 3rd floor, so I welcome the challenge. I have been trying to take longer inhales, but still have the feeling of lung expansion cutting off before the end. No, I do not have an inhaler. didn't feel that it worked well and when I mentioned this to the dr, was told that was fine, if I kept the asthma under control. I still get winded while doing cardio, but i only have to cut off 1 or 2 reps to take a few breaths. i don't worry as much anymore about having a ful-blown attack now. just don't ask me to run!
  • em8795
    em8795 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    to improve fitness and therefore lung capacity try the podcast couch to 5k. it really helps :) also swimming
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Definitely run more to increase lung capacity, also I find it necessary to mouth breathe to get oxygen in quickly enough.

I know I am biased but also try Yoga where you are encouraged to breathe in slowly and deeply through the nose and out through the nose. This will, over time, increase your lung capacity and diaphragm strength and suppleness.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm hoping some of you wonderful people will be able to help me.

I've started to properly run now (around 10 minutes straight) and I'm getting to the point where I know I need more oxygan but cannot seem to breath enough in, without sounding like I'm having a asthma/panic attach. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can increase my overall lung capacity?

Thanks for any help

Nessy
    Go to your Dr. and have him check you out. He should have you do a test where you blow hard in a tube.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It'll come with time, run more, slow down.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    Look up Fartlek exercising. It is fantastic for getting your lung capacity and fitness up. Just take it steady and it will come. Good luck
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly but try and relax your breathing when you're going at a comfortable pace. I have asthma and sometimes when I'm out on a long run my breathing gets a bit heavy but if I just slow down a tiny bit and relax my breathing I can keep going for ages.
    As others have said, mix in some sprints and hill runs and your fitness will improve really quickly. Good luck :)
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments (sorry its taken so long, was out for an important meal last night and just woke up lol)

I'm running at 5mph and I'm certain any slower and I'll be walking so what I think I'm going to do is go back to my interval training, I'm wanting to continue to run so I can run a 5k and even longer (fingers crossed).

Thanks again

Nessy