Anyone else MORE hungry when they are sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your body is expending more calories to fight off what ever it is fighting off. Feed yourself, don't worry about the calories and weight. Just get better then you can make those fat cells cry (sweat) at the gym when you are back to 100%.
  • shetwirls
    Options
    If you're sick, you should just eat if and when you are hungry - just not "junk" food. Your body needs the extra energy to fight whatever it is that is wrong with you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I always eat a large pizza when I have the flu.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am starving when sick! But I think of it as my body's need of energy to fight the cold.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I had mono at 25 y/o...

I always thought a case of mono would be nice for the weight loss.. Apparently not!

I lost about 15 lbs when I had mono, to the point that my doctor was worried. I only had sport shakes for two weeks, and that was only 3 times a day.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My appetite gets ridiculous when I am sick with a head cold and right after I have stomach issues...

My theory is that my body needs energy to fight off the cold. The problem also is that I can't usually taste anything when I'm sick, so I tend to eat junk - sweat, salty, rich - to get that satisfaction. I still try to throw in as much good stuff as i can, but it's never what I want...

Again after stomach issues, I just figure it's my body's way of recovering.

In the times I've been since while doing MFP, I've actually not gained weight by still eating horribly while sick.