Afraid to take a day off...

Options
Is anyone else afraid to take a day off from working out? I've only taken 1 day in the past month and it was so hard to go back that I hesitate to do it again...

Replies

• neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes, but forcing myself to take off one day, then sub in some walking or something mild..yoga perhaps. Mindset before was if I miss a day, I was a failure and quit altogether, trying to get past that.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I used to work out 6 days a week but recently dropped it down to 5. I give my body 2 days of rest so that I come back hard on the next workout day. :-)
  • bsmcdonald0513
    bsmcdonald0513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take two days off every week, it's important for your body to have time to repair itself!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was like that at first, but after a day off, I could just tell that my body really needed the rest. If you set one or two days a week as your days off no matter what, would it be easier? Plus you have those days of rest to look forward to. :)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    have a real hard time...I walk 3 - 4 miles a day...then throw in zumba class one night a week...ab roller and your shape dvd a couple of times a week...I take a day off when my body says it needs a break. I think I am at 14 in a row today.
  • bvav5408
    bvav5408 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    your body needs to rest! Working out everyday with out a rest day is counter productive. The body needs the rest to rebuild the muscles. I run Mon, Tue, Thur, Friday and take Wed and the weekend off. I have improved all of my runs by doing this. Once football season ends I will be back to 6 days a week. But the rest is good for you!!!!!!
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i was working out 6 days a week....started doing more strength training and now i workout 4 days a week
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think I would've quit a long time ago if I didn't take rest days. I allow myself 2 each week, sometimes even 3 and I feel much more energized and ready to get back to it after I've rested. Your body needs it and you're going to crash if you don't get the rest. You might need to push yourself to get back after a rest day for the first while, but once you train your brain that this is how it should be, you will be much happier.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to be active everyday. I like to do something active even on my "day off" whether that be go on a hike, short run, play some kind of sport, etc.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lol yes.

I posted a topic earlier because I haven't lifted or "worked out" since Tuesday because I'm sick with whatever the **** keeps going around the entire planet.

Nearly everyone (including my pretty well versed fiance) says to take it easy, so I have been. I did lost a 1lb since last week, even though I hadn't lost a pound in a month and a half, so... there are benefits, I suppose. (I haven't been throwing up, sneezing, etc. or anything, so I doubt I lost anything but actual weight... hopefully fat).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else afraid to take a day off from working out? I've only taken 1 day in the past month and it was so hard to go back that I hesitate to do it again...

This is one of the hardest things for me to do. I love working out. It makes me insecure to take a day off. However, it is a very important part of the muscle building process; letting the muscles recover from working hard, it is just as important as working out hard. But you can change it up on the rest day and do something light like walking or light cardio.

Just keep in mind that on your rest day, even if complete rest from exercise that you maintain your weight (fat loss) by the calorie deficit or calorie budget alone. Rest assured that if you keep within calorie budget you will not fall backwards in your goals and have that be your peace of mind.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to take a day off every 3-4 days...I work out 5-6 days a week. It was hard at first, but now I look forward to those days!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Schedule your "Rest Days" the same way that you schedule your Workouts. And on Rest Days you can still do something Active - Walking, Sports, Swimming, Geo-Caching, etc. Just something DIFFRENT than your Regular Workouts.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    No. U NEED a day off. It's part of the process. You have to give ur body time to heal.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Lol yes.

I posted a topic earlier because I haven't lifted or "worked out" since Tuesday because I'm sick with whatever the **** keeps going around the entire planet.

Nearly everyone (including my pretty well versed fiance) says to take it easy, so I have been. I did lost a 1lb since last week, even though I hadn't lost a pound in a month and a half, so... there are benefits, I suppose. (I haven't been throwing up, sneezing, etc. or anything, so I doubt I lost anything but actual weight... hopefully fat).

My second week on MFP (back on), I was sick with the crud, but I had just started and was so afraid to take time off. I went to the gym anyways, Dayquil, Aleve, and 5 hour energy got me through...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lol yes.

My second week on MFP (back on), I was sick with the crud, but I had just started and was so afraid to take time off. I went to the gym anyways, Dayquil, Aleve, and 5 hour energy got me through...

Did you feel okay after? You may be a bad influence on me ;)
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Lol yes.

Did you feel okay after? You may be a bad influence on me ;)

I did. I read up and found out that as long as I didn't have a fever and the sysmptoms were above the shoulders (my coughing was due to drainage), that working out could help shorten the life of the virus...