To protein or to not?

Options
I am new here so don't know what i am doing. Can't you tell? haha... I know there's a lot of lean protein shakes out there and I am debating whether or not to try a few. I am up and out by 5 am and need a quick breakfast. I suffer from PCOS and is insulin resistance so there's not a lot of protein shakes out there without sugar. Help.

Replies

• juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for quick protein in the morning try hard boiled eggs. Make up a batch on Sunday and keep them in the fridge. They're easy to take on the run with you in the morning.
  • tjeason
    tjeason Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been trying the low carb diet and I find it so easy to follow. I hear it is good for diabetics. Atkins has breakfast bars and shakes that you can have first thing in the morning. If you look at Atkins.com it gives you all kinds of ideas. It may be the same concept as having the protein bars. Good Luck!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been trying the low carb diet and I find it so easy to follow. I hear it is good for diabetics. Atkins has breakfast bars and shakes that you can have first thing in the morning. If you look at Atkins.com it gives you all kinds of ideas. It may be the same concept as having the protein bars. Good Luck!

Atkins has some great products. I did that for about 6 months and lost a bunch of weight (gained it all back when I started eating carbs again but.....). Just a word of caution, most of the "sugar free" stuff uses sugar alcohols as a sweetener. These can have some really nasty side effects if you eat to much - trust me, I know from personal experience.
  • gjump91
    Options
    I always make sure to start my morning off with protein. It starts to get more tricky the busier you are during the week and do not have time to make something with protein in it. I say always have protein on hand! It always does the trick for me! Anyone reading this feel free to add me, I feel like if I start getting some friends on here it will keep me motivated! Thanks!
  • gjump91
    Options
    Maybe try egg whites.. I feel like I have no seen a lot of protein shakes out there without sugar. I do PURE PROTEIN. they have amazing bars, and protein shakes, and I think only 1 gram of sugar! http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ww/pure-protein-shake.html?MCID=F-SHOP&mr:referralID=e8641083-13f4-11e2-b779-001b2166c62d
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I aim to get 1g protein per lb of lean body mass (LBM), and I use protein powder to get there. I say try it! Can't hurt to try!

Re PCOS and IR and sugar: Most of the protein powders that are "Whey Protein" or "whey Isolate" have very little sugar. The Meal replacement ones are the ones with more sugar and calories usually. Buy a protein that is very close to pure, and it shouldn't be a problem. You can then mix it with whatever you want for added nutriton- oats, flax seed, fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, milk etc etc etc. I've been making Chai and coffee lattes recently with protein, milk and tea/coffee.

Personally, I have never found a protein that I think is tolerable with just water. I would suggest using unsweetened almond milk to mix if you are trying to spare calories- the 35 calories it adds makes the protein taste and texture a million times improved.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Personally, I have never found a protein that I think is tolerable with just water. I would suggest using unsweetened almond milk to mix if you are trying to spare calories- the 35 calories it adds makes the protein taste and texture a million times improved.

I recommend Syntrax Nectar - it is not milky at all - rather fresh and fruity. I hate creamy protein drinks, but I love this one, especially after a work out when blended up with lots of ice.

I have been doing the low-carb thing now for a little less than 2 weeks and I am loving it. On days when I have a hard time getting enough protein I add in a drink. But I am trying to get as much as I can from food, so eggs, tuna, turkey and steak have become my go-to foods. Tuna or egg salad in celery is a great snack - could be for breakfast if you wanted, and you can make it the day before. :)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I mix protein powder into smoothies - frozen fruit, yogurt, little bit of fruit juice, spinach, whatever else catches my fancy. I don't like it in water. If I had to, I'd mix it with almond milk and some berries.

For premade shakes, I buy the premier ones at Costco. Lots of protein, low fat and low carb (3 g carb, but 2 g fiber). They taste good too - both choco and vanilla.
  • eldrith1399
    Options
    Try using a whey protein isolate powder. Most have less than 4g of sugar per scoop. And they are also fat and lactose free.
  • DollaMimi86
    Options
    I have done eggs but got tired of that. Lately, it's been apples and almond butter, but that's not enough to sustain me. I always have to watch the sugar and currently I am doing a low carb diet. However, last night I did allow myself some whole wheat pasta :) thank you for suggestions. I tried the EAS soy protein in vanilla and I did not like it... Anything good from GNC?
  • purduegurl18
    Options
    I have the Body Fortress brand Whey protein from Wal-Mart. It's pretty good. My mom is a Type 1 diabetic and she can have it. It isn't too bad, I think 3 or 5 g of sugar for 1 scoop. I mix it in with the milk I pour on cereal.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    http://questproteinbar.com/

I feel like I should be a sales person for this company, I tell all my friends about their products. They have an awesome nutritional profile and almost no sugar. Also, they have no gluten, and the all natural ones do not have any sugar alcohols in them at all. Apparently you can ge them at some GNC's or you can buy them straight from the website.

Easy to grab and go!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    try Jay Rob Whey Protein...