Runners who use endomondo?

Options

Replies

• cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    No, I dont. I do have RunDouble. I'm not sure who puts that one out tho.. Truth be told I dont have a place to put my phone.. so ..typically I run it.. get home.. and drive it with my car and thus get my milage and compare my time gone while I was running. Tedious I know ..but accurate. Some day I might actually use the app..LOL

Run Double is put out by RunDouble, just simpley a c25k program. BUT - you don't have to drive your route. When you get home, if you have something like a mapmyrun account, which is what i use. You can log in and enter the route on that and it will give you the miles and then you can log it as whatever kind of workout it was.

I use mapmyrun to figure out new routes of specific distances too. I really like it and it's pretty easy to figure out.
  • staceywilk
    staceywilk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use it at most once a week. I plan to start using it more as I try to improve my 2 mile time for my boot camp PT test.

Feel free to add me - Stacey Wilkinson
  • SyllyThings
    SyllyThings Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. Sounds like there are so many out there.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyWalk - it covers running and biking etc too tho. I wouldn't be without it!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use it but its not accurate on your run as on one of them it said i ran across a pond/river but I also use sports tracker at the same time so get to use both
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but i do use it when I'm out walking. But i also track w/ my FitBit and HRM, so I'm just looking for my MPH & distance covered.

My biggest thing - I have Endo & Fitbit linked to Earndit - rewards for being healthy *squee* can't beat that!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've used it consistently to track my bike rides and other activity since May. I've logged over 2400 miles biking with it, for example. It's a great app and the challenges on the Web are great motivators. Here's a list of activities I've successfully tracked with it:

Running
    Walking
    Hiking
    Kayaking
    Downhill Skiing
    Tennis
    Biking

The app on Android has been updated multiple times since May and it just keeps getting better and better so if anyone gave up on it, it's worth another chance.

Here's some tips based on my experience:

-Turn on auto-pause for bike riding or anything where you will be going faster than 5 MPH. This allows you to get a more accurate time as it will cut out the time you spend at stop lights etc. If you go slower than 5 MPH, then turn it off as it will be constantly pausing it as it senses that you've stopped when you really haven't. For instance, when I went hiking a couple weeks ago, I turned off auto-pause as during some steep parts I was only going 1 MPH. I just had to remember to turn it back on when I got back on my bike.

-Don't rely on its calorie calculations as it seems to use a pretty crude formula. It doesn't seem to take into account elevation gain and speed in its calculations. It just seems to be time x calorie burn per unit time. It does seem to adjust based on the weight you provide. If you have an HRM, you can manually enter your average and maximum heart rates for the workout in the Web interface and it will adjust the calorie burn down considerably (at least in my case as I'm fit). I find that after entering in my heart rate it comes within about 10% of the calories that my HRM indicates, though it's always over.

-If you want really in-depth heart rate analysis, you can get a special heart rate strap that interfaces directly with the Endomondo app for about $75. There are ones for iPhone and Android, though they use different technology. I opted not to go this route because I can use my Polar FT7 in multiple activities, including in the gym where Endomondo is useless. At some point I might get the other strap but at this point I can't justify the extra expense.

-I have the Endomondo Pro app because I bought it when it was on sale for $.10 last year. However, it's not required. As far as I can tell, the only thing you get with the pro version is interval workout modes. I haven't even used these, but if you need the app to remind you of different intervals etc. then the pro version is the way to go. Otherwise, the free version should work fine.

-You can put notes about your workout on the Website. I use this to record how I felt etc., for each workout. This way I can go back and see trends or remember when I added a specific piece of equipment or had a particularly strong or weak day.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm Scott Edward Johnson on Endomondo.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Truth be told I dont have a place to put my phone..

Oh, I was also going to mention - I went to Wal-Mart and got a running pack. It's a flat pack that fits like a fanny pack, but it's more flat to you and it might hold your phone and it has two little compartments that are great for keys. That's how I carry my phone on runs. I don't like armbands and don't want to drop anything - so this pack has been perfect.

Oh and there is a hole that you can put your headphones into while you are listening to the phone. I carry a doggy bag in it too - cuz I want to be responsible about taking my buddy out so it's been handy to have.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I use it and it's touch and go, at least for me and my area. It tends to drop the GPS signal alot, such as my run today. It only picked up like .04 miles then just crapped out. And I had regular service, internet service, etc. perfect. Weird.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    does anyone know how much data the application uses? i'm too cheap to pay for unlimited data. :sad:
  • spotdog14
    Options
    I use it almost every day. I love it.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I use it and really like it. How does the pep-talk feature work?

Well I can see when my friends are out for a run or cycle or whatever and I can type them a message and it will come through your headphones as a message. My man sends them to me on long runs and it really helps with a second wind!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options

Well I can see when my friends are out for a run or cycle or whatever and I can type them a message and it will come through your headphones as a message. My man sends them to me on long runs and it really helps with a second wind!

This. It's kind of fun. :-)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how much data the application uses? i'm too cheap to pay for unlimited data. :sad:
    It doesn't use much data. In fact, I've used it several times in places where I didn't have any data at all, most recently hiking. In those cases, you won't get real-time map data unless you've cached it (Android version YMMV) but it will still track your workout as it's simply recording a series of readings from your phone's GPS (lattitude, logitude and elevation). Once you restore a data connection it will upload the info to its Website, but this can be done over Wi-Fi.

I took a look on my phone. Android Ice Cream Sandwich has a feature where it will show you how much data each app is taking. Since September 27th, Endomondo has used a whopping .97 MB. In that time, I've recorded and uploaded 18 workouts. That should give you some idea.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options

This. It's kind of fun. :-)

And now my OTHER man (^^^^) sends me messages too! Lol.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    lol I'll try not to miss you next time. :-D
  • spotdog14
    Options
    Make sure you join our MFP challenge.

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/sZcF1Dv2NV4
  • wood2415
    wood2415 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded this app. I normally use Runkeeper or Mapmyrun. I'll give it a try.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Make sure you join our MFP challenge.

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/sZcF1Dv2NV4

I did, although my Fitbit is linked to Endomondo, so mine is kind of skewed.
  • MRincrediBURN
    Options
    So love my Endomondo PRO! I would love to have friends on there, dont have any at the moment.