Random but does anyone do Weight Watchers

Options
Does anyone do Weight Watchers and this webiste? I have been finding WW to make me crazy all the counting, and weighting myself etc. It's making me have a very unhealthy outlook on losing weight. I'm not sure this website will help with that.

Here's my thing. I know how to lose weight. Eat the right foods, and exercise more. The goal is to burn more than you consume. 3,500 calories burned equals 1 lb loss. Great.

Right before I went to college (2000) I lost a signifcant amount of weight about 70lbs. I did that by exercising and eating right. Removing refined carbs and refined sugars from my diet. I couldn't even tell you how long it took to lose the weight because I wasn't focused on that. I was focused on eating right and exercising. I didn't weight myself I just went by how many sizes I went down. I went from a 20 to a 5. The only reason I learned how much I weight was because I weighted myself on my friends parents scale that was in their bathroom.

I just wonder how to get back to that point. The point of not caring and just relaxing and enjoying the accomplishments I've achived and not focused on how much further I have to go.

Replies

• Jamariqui
    Jamariqui Posts: 43
    Options
    Does anyone do Weight Watchers and this webiste? I have been finding WW to make me crazy all the counting, and weighting myself etc. It's making me have a very unhealthy outlook on losing weight. I'm not sure this website will help with that.

Here's my thing. I know how to lose weight. Eat the right foods, and exercise more. The goal is to burn more than you consume. 3,500 calories burned equals 1 lb loss. Great.

Right before I went to college (2000) I lost a signifcant amount of weight about 70lbs. I did that by exercising and eating right. Removing refined carbs and refined sugars from my diet. I couldn't even tell you how long it took to lose the weight because I wasn't focused on that. I was focused on eating right and exercising. I didn't weight myself I just went by how many sizes I went down. I went from a 20 to a 5. The only reason I learned how much I weight was because I weighted myself on my friends parents scale that was in their bathroom.

I just wonder how to get back to that point. The point of not caring and just relaxing and enjoying the accomplishments I've achived and not focused on how much further I have to go.
  • jessie1
    jessie1 Posts: 46
    Options
    I tried to do weight watchers. But I just couldnt handle the stress of calculating points. It felt unnatural like I coudnt just go on with my life without planning my every meal. I am new to this but I have been reading everyones comments And it does feel good to see everyone striving for the same goal. If you lost the weight before you can do it again :)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It's changing your mind set.

I tried weight watchers, couldn't do it because my world completely became about foods and points. I can't live like that. Also, I will admit I don't always eat healthy but I am not gonna beat myself up every time I have something unhealthy.

I have only been on here a short time but it's been a huge and wonderful change. It's making me more aware of my decisions. I don't obsess about food. I log it, see where I am at and am done.

Weight watchers has some AWESOME recipes but sometimes the attitude (which could be a leader based issue) can have serious negative affects. I don't like to think of weight loss as a competition, cause I don't compete. That's the vibe I got from our local leaders.
  • Lorelei
    Lorelei Posts: 1
    Options
    I have done both and the journey is similar.. As you have done in the past, whether your counting calories or points, you will find better results with making good food choices: fresh veggies, fresh fruits, unprocessed foods, etc. , You will be able to fill up on these items. You will also find that you will have to count less and less when these good choices become your main stay . Having 1200 calories a day of mostly poor quality food (or 23 points a day) will not give you the best results. plus you will feel like your starving! I have found that fresh, unprocessed nutrient dense foods are the way to go. Try reading Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhram

Hang in there!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I did it but I did the Core Plan (no counting) I loved it and lost the weight I wanted. Then I got pregnant!!! Haha!!! :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I don't do weight watchers, I never had, but my wife did for 5 years. It was maddening at first (see, I do a lot of the cooking, so even though she did it, I was a junior partner in the deal too), but you get used to it. They base it on some good theories, and it does work well for a lot of people, but there is a lot of conversion that has to go on, if you like the idea of points, which to me is very similar to what we do here, just all mashed up into one number, then it's a good tool. If math makes your head hurt though, then I wouldn't even try it.

Bottom line, if you're comfortable with their systems, they do a pretty good job health wise, but if you're new and it looks daunting to you, I would just stick to MFP, it's easier to grasp IMHO.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    On the Core Plan there is no counting unless you eat outside the recommendations. They recommend lean meats, fruits, veggies, ff dairy, and whole grains. Then you have 35 flex points for the week if you want something that "counts". It was easy and I didn't feel restricted.
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I did WW for about 2 years and the weight did come off but I hit a plateau and just needed a change. My trainer told me that WW had "run its course", so that's why I chose MFP and it did help to boost my weight loss. Just really depends on whether you can be committed to planning out your meals every day. With MFP, I find it easier to eat certain foods without having to worry about going over my daily points for the day with WW. With MFP, you still have a calorie allowance for the day but it just seems easier for some reason, maybe just the change in plans. But once you set your mind to it, either program will be beneficial in the end. It all comes down to just changing your eating habits for the better, ya know? Good luck!
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I did WW for about 2 years and the weight did come off but I hit a plateau and just needed a change. My trainer told me that WW had "run its course", so that's why I chose MFP and it did help to boost my weight loss. Just really depends on whether you can be committed to planning out your meals every day. With MFP, I find it easier to eat certain foods without having to worry about going over my daily points for the day with WW. With MFP, you still have a calorie allowance for the day but it just seems easier for some reason, maybe just the change in plans. But once you set your mind to it, either program will be beneficial in the end. It all comes down to just changing your eating habits for the better, ya know? Good luck!

heehee, i was the other way round!! I counted calories on here with not much success. I started WW a couple of months ago and have had a steady progression of weight loss. The reason I find it so good is that I tend to get a bit hung up on the calories you should be eating (different for everyone etc etc) so I like to walk through the oblivion of points! (Dont get me wrong I am intelligent and educated and like to know things, including having my RMR tested), I have just found WW more effective.
    I dont go to meetings though.