looking for other friends with mental health issues

Options
I have PTSD. I also had depression from the ages of 13-19, and when I began exercising it went away for a year, I even came off meds for a full year.
It is now back in full force and would love some friends in the same boat as I am to help support me and make me feel like I'm not alone with what I'm going through... I'm getting tested for Bipolar soon.

Replies

• beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are pretty strong to be able to come and ask for help and support.
    Exercise is very helpful and can assist dealing with symptoms of depression because is changes the brain chemistry. Don't get discourage use positive imaging and get in contact with a counselor.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

I'm in the boat with ya. I was diagnosed depressed when I was eight...it morphed into PTSD and Borderline Personality disorder. If you need some support feel free to add me!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    PTSD, ex military.... I know what your going thru...got off the meds a couple of years ago. It's a struggle everyday. Add for support if you wish. :smile:
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just got myself off my depression meds. I found someone who treats me well and supports me dieting. So add me if you want. I will accept ya.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never had to go on meds before...

Had counselling etc though for all the crap :)

x
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I am struggling with depression. I have been from a young age. I'm on meds for it and in couseling for it. I still struggle with not wanting to self harm. So I know how you feel to struggle.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

I'm in the boat with ya. I was diagnosed depressed when I was eight...it morphed into PTSD and Borderline Personality disorder. If you need some support feel free to add me!

Similar story, diagnosed clinical depression at 13, then diagnosed with borderline, social anxiety, ocd and suspected mild asperger's syndrome. You can tend to end up feeling you are simply a label rather than a complete and valid human being which gets very difficult at times, especially given the stigma and misconceptions attached to some diagnoses.

Feel free to add if willing to give support and accept support.
  • themaskedpixie
    themaskedpixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depression, ADHD, panic attacks

just started medication two weeks ago after being off of it for years. feel free to add.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Schizoaffective disorder with depressive tendencies . Feel free to add me if you need more support. I am not on meds. I decided to treat it without drugs (EXTREMELY difficult and not for everyone). Best of luck to you!!!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have Major Depressive Disorder w/ PTSD. I have since I was 14 to 15 years old. I deal with it every day... but, I'm getting better. Feel free to add.
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with depression and PTSD after a childhood of sexual and mental abuse. Raised by a paranoid schizophrenic who died this last year. I am back in counseling and taking zoloft 50mg at bedtime for the depression. Everytime I try to lose weight it brings the sexual abuse back and I usually put the weight back on. Please feel free to friend me.... we need all the friends we can get when you are in the boat we are in.
    I am a 48 year old hospice nurse and I am hoping to finally get healthy - mind, body and spirit. I pray we all do. I have been through hell and am looking forward to a life where I can put my past away and live as a human being, not a tortured soul.
    Deb
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I also deal (dealt?) with depression/PTSD, was on a cocktail of 5 meds at one point. Feel free to add me for support.

I strongly urge you to find a good therapist. It's a rough road to travel, and guidance by a good therapist can be invaluable.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I have PTSD, Major Depression Disorder, Insomnia, sleep apnea, schizophrenia, anxiety, migraines...

I have a small boat with a leak.

I take a lot of medication and sometimes that affects the way I have to handle things with my eating and weight loss.

I have to take topramax and wellbutrin and they said that the combination together is a weight loss.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Lived in a loveless marriage for 29 years raised 5 children when last child moved out suffered empty nest syndrome bad. Then my beloved dog of 11 years died so I left as there nothing to love or be loved. During that time was medicated to get through the day. Have been divorced 7 years now but, I stayed too long damage is done so will probably be on medication rest of my life as I have tried to stop but am unable to cope in society. I lead an wonderful life now alone with my new dog and he's wonderful have great friends and family so I feel my life is blessed.
  • z149189
    z149189 Posts: 57
    Options
    I've had major depression and general/social anxiety for years. Feel free to add me. There's also a good anxiety support group on mfp if you're ever interested.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder (type I). I've been stable for about three years, but I can still empathize. Most of my family has a mood disorder diagnosis of some sort, so it's always there somehow. Feel free to add me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with depression (more like dysthymia) and anxiety off and on since I was in junior high school...have done counseling and medication in the past, as well as dietary changes, exercise, and cognitive behavioral therapy--the last three seem to be the most effective for me. I am not currently on medication or in therapy, although I've considered going back to counseling because I am dealing with a lot of stress.

It's hard to explain depression and anxiety to people who just tell you to "buck up and deal." I've given up trying to explain how it feels to my family, now I just get support from friends who can empathize.

To the group at large:

How much do you think exercise and controlling diet help with mental health issues? I have found that it helps me a lot...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with depression (more like dysthymia) and anxiety off and on since I was in junior high school...have done counseling and medication in the past, as well as dietary changes, exercise, and cognitive behavioral therapy--the last three seem to be the most effective for me. I am not currently on medication or in therapy, although I've considered going back to counseling because I am dealing with a lot of stress.

It's hard to explain depression and anxiety to people who just tell you to "buck up and deal." I've given up trying to explain how it feels to my family, now I just get support from friends who can empathize.

To the group at large:

How much do you think exercise and controlling diet help with mental health issues? I have found that it helps me a lot...

I think it helps tremendously.. that's the reason I have been feeling so good for the past year, off all meds.. unfortunately it is back but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Gonna look into CBT (=
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

To the group at large:

I think it helps so much. I'm on lithium, and I've reached the point where I'm okay with the idea of being on lithium for the rest of my life. However, no matter how stable I've been, I do still have ups and downs in reaction to environmental events (ALMOST like a 'normal' person!). Exercise has helped a lot with that, and I think the weight loss has helped my overall health.
  • bludolphins41
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have Bi-Polar and depression, and I've suffered with it for most of my life, but didn't realize what it was I had untill my early thirthies, and then I plunged in 2005. I got help, on meds, and other than situational depression at times, I feel pretty good. It is not easy to ask for help especially from strangers. More power to you!!!!! Find the positive side in everything, mostly all the bad. Take time for yourself everyday, even if it's only for 10 min, and it'll do wonders. I am also taking a pilates class, and it's worked wonders for my mental and emotional part of my life. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!