I'm slipping and I don't know how to get back on track!

Options
I've been not exercising as much lately and overeating. I just don't know why. The day starts out healthy and then supper is a complete fail. I've also been bored with dieting and recipes. I just don't know how to get back on track. I was so motivated before and loved eating healthy but I've also been busy with morning meetings and that is the time that I usually work out :/

Any positive suggestions?

I really want to get back on track and start losing weight again!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you want it you'll do it - simple as that.

If you're bored check out Pinterest - millions of diet recipes and exercises to be found there. If you're too busy to exercise in the morning work out in the evening.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree... for me it's usually boredom of what I'm eating. Check out some new cookbooks at the book store or library, or browse a site like allrecipes.com. For exercise, I HAVE to be in a class, otherwise I get bored. I need the social aspect I think... dont know if you're the same, but just what works for me. You can do it, you just need to switch up your routine a bit!
  • Joobster
    Joobster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Attach a new meaning to the process of weight loss"
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Do you watch TV? Cushion the floor in front of your TV and stand up and walk in place. It's at least something.
    And the more you do the more you feel like doing. :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just stop doing it. you get on track by getting on track and starting new habits.

also if you're looking at this as a diet then you're setting yourself up for failure. look at it as a life style style change, not as a sacrifice or deprivation.

if you cant go before work then go at lunch time, or after work or wake up early.

also remember that you dont need to be motivated to do this, just be committed to your goals. start making some goals less vague than "weight loss" if you havent already. fitness goals are great
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Plan out your days

Decide what you WANT to eat the night or morning before your day starts. Allow yourself a treat-- I do this. I plan out my day for what I really want, which might include going with friends for dinner or trying a new dessert recipe or anything really, that way I know how many calories I need to burn in order to meet my goals.

It helps a lot because I know in order to get myself back in the green I need to burn X amount of calories.

And it allows me to eat pretty much what I want because I know I'll burn it off. Find an exercise you enjoy that doesn't feel like a chore. Spin class, Zumba, Hip Hop, Kickboxing...there's ton's of classes offered a gyms and rec centers. Just find what works for you
  • persephone_lyn
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I let myself go for a year and now I'm doing everything I can to get back on track and re-motivate myself. I find it harder and harder to move the longer I let myself go. I go to college so I signed up for a physical education class, aerobics. It is not easy but it is a start to getting me back on track. I also see my coach as a personal trainer on other days. Having someone to hold me accountable is helping me but it is still hard. Trust me the longer you wait the harder it is. Don't wait, do what it takes to get motivated because if you don't and you are anything like me, you will lose motivation over time to do even the things you love. Just take it at your pace but don't stop, eat the foods you love but just break it down into smaller portions more often throughout the day. Just think of how much better you feel when you are being healthy and exercising compared to how you feel when you don't. Good luck and take care of yourself :-) P.S. If you pray about it and put it in God's hands he will help you with it.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Each day try to plan your meals as best you can. Save extra calories for dinner and have a healthy snack later in evening. Just get up and move do something you really, really enjoy. Maybe it's dancing, if it is turn up the music and dance your *kitten* off. Maybe it's yoga, take 30 minutes a few times a week and practice. I personally have a fondness for squats, so if I'm watching TV on commercials I'll get up and knock out 20 to 25 squats, unless I'm watching TBS then its 40 or more they have longgggg commercials. By the end of the night I've got 150 to 300 squats in. Sometimes I'll do jumping jacks or leg raises. Good luck getting back on the wagon.
  • lovingmymuscles
    Options
    i have this same problem and have been struggling with the same 20 lbs for years. Imagine if you were always within 2-3 months of your weight goal, and for 10 years you never bothered?
    That being said, here are my suggestions:

-Take a weekly photo of yourself, and keep them on your desktop, or print them and hang them up. Comparing weekly/monthly change will motivate you, when the scale and mirror are not.

-pay more attention to your measurements, rather than the scale

-If you don't want to eat it white your 'dieting', get it out of your house, or put it out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. If you over-eat even healthy food, than don't keep a lot of food in the house...but if you find that you over eat because you don't have good food available to you when you are hungry, then pre cook your meals 3-7 days in advance, and pre assemble your salads etc, into portioned tupperware containers, and keep handy vegetable snacks ready to eat...then only eat what's in the tupperware.

-join a group online, or get an accountability partner, who has the same general exercise goals and eating aspirations, and who wants to lose about the same amount.

-talk to yourself. "no, you cannot eat that cookie, you beautiful goddess, you! Cookies are for fat and pre-diabetic people and are not fit for a goddess"

-If people are derailing you by offering you food/alcohol when you're dieting, or telling you "you don't need to lose weight", and saying "one little bit won't hurt." Then keep your goals to yourself, and feel satisfaction in your daily accomplishments.

-find a picture of the body you know you can attain. Make it huge, and put it where you're going to see it everyday...or right next to the picture you took of yourself.

-Aim to eat and exercise well 80% of the time, and allow yourself 20% of the time for those cheats.

-if you start eating food that's not part of your diet, don't despair and end up eating even more of it...just relax, log the calories immediately, and drink a bunch of water. Forgive yourself, but don't be too forgiving!

-make a list of what motivates you to loose the weight. keep that list somewhere where you can read it easily. You want to be healthy, you want to have more energy, you want to look good in your clothes, or sexy naked, you want to be alive to see your kids grow up, you want to climb mount everest...

-If you skip a day in exercise, don't go to bed without doing some push ups or sit ups, or 15 mins walking, etc.

-if you lack motivation, find some songs that really get you pumped up. Play those during your exercises, or in the morning, or in the evening when you get home.

-take every day, one day at a time.

-Love the body you have, and the health you have. This will teach you to respect yourself. Treat yourself like a little seed, or baby, or warrior. You need to nurture and care for yourself. You want to feed yourself the best food and keep yourself in the best shape, because you love and honour yourself.

-Don't go more than 2 days skipping exercise, and if you do miss more days than that...just take it easy on yourself. Don't give up and remind yourself of what motivates you.

-If you would be motivated by going to the gym, join. If spending the money and being accountable to your word is important to you, it might be a motivator for you to make sure you never skip class.

-if you think to yourself," oh i can't eat well because i can't afford healthy food"...or "i can't afford that dvd, gym pass, etc...i'll start next month when i save some money, etc." then just remind yourself that all you need to lose weight is your body and your mind.

-Go to the library, or online and find a new exercise program/work out video, etc.

-instead of thinking, "i'll eat this crap today and wake up an hour early to exercise tomorrow, and get back on track tomorrow." Tell yourself "i'll stop binging RIGHT NOW, and i'll go for a walk "right now!"

-get an outfit that you want to fit into, and try it on with pictures, every week. Hang that outfit up where you can see it, and remind yourself you want to look hot in that. Make sure the outfit is a size your can reasonably attain, or maybe as you drop weight, get another outfit...maybe start a size or two down, and soon that outfit will be too large!

-remember that you're strong. That you love yourself. That you're doing this ultimately for you. That you don't have to succumb to being unhappy and unhealthy.

-check out the success stories and photos online.

-Get a weight loss buddy in your city, who you can walk/run, go to the gym with, call up when you're feeling weak, etc.

-join over eaters anonymous.

-log your calories and your activity, even if you know you ate way too much, or really crappy food. Log everyday!!

-If you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off, think one day at a time, slowly but surely, and get back into it. This is a process and a lifestyle change.

-Watch jillian michaels. Picture her in your head, yelling at you.

-Think of yourself as already at your goal weight. Feed your body the way your goal weight body would eat.

-When you have cravings, ask yourself "would i eat an apple or vegetable right now?". If you're not really hungry, drink water, go for walk, get out of the house, remove yourself from the situation.

-find out how your time could be arranged better. Are you spending too much time on the internet, watching TV, having naps, talking on the phone, reading, etc....if you could be exercising, then do it. The 30 day shred is only 20 minutes long, for instance. Walking around the block for 15 minutes is hard to motivate yourself to do sometimes, but why is it so easy to spend an hour on the internet without even noticing the time fly by?

Ok. that's what i've got.
    Remember to honour yourself and your words. Hold yourself accountable. If you feel crappy standing up your friends and family, or cancelling your commitments, then remember, when you aren't eating well and exercising, than you are standing yourself up and being unreliable to yourself.
    It's all about developing new habits, and replacing negative habits and thoughts, with positive activity. Make exercise and eating well a part of your life, and something you personally identify with. Then you won't have to think about motivation. Even if you feel unmotivated, you have this commitment to yourself and this healthy lifestyle, and it won't even matter if "you don't feel like it." You just do it. The more you do, the more you'll be able, and want to do.

Do you want to be unfit all your life and unhappy with yourself?
    Imagine if you were happy with yourself now, and getting more fit every day.
    Imagine where you could be in 6 months, or a year if you stick to your goals, one day at a time!
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I had to share my car with my brother and it killed the gym for me. I tried doing the park, walking and running around it, but heading to the park without my dog felt selfish... and of course he's a little dude so he's done after two laps. Finding the motivation to go back after I drop him off was hard. Grocery shopping was harder etc etc.

So last night I officially had my **** back together. I went to the grocery store, bought healthy food for the week. Purged the house of junk. I prepared my meals, set up my stuff. I'm going to the gym this afternoon for a two hour session, which I will do six days this week. If I push through he next few days I'll feel back on track by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sometimes it's really hard to get refocused, but remember it's like pushing a boulder up a big *kitten* hill. Sure, you lost a few inches or even a few feet -- worse you lose the progress you should've made the last few weeks. But, do you really want to start at the bottom of the hill as your new years resolution for 2013? I don't. Healthy food, gym, and forgive yourself for your previous mistakes.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First of all, dont beat yourself up over slipping. Get back on the wagon and keep trotting on.

Now, you need to readjust your feelings and mindset. Alot of what you need to do is in your mind. Remind yourself that the 'diet restrictions' are temporary. It is a journey with a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

If you find your recipes boring, then switch it up. There is no reason 'diet' (I dislike this word-too many negative associations I guess) recipes need to be boring. If it i a burden cooking every meal - prep food in advance or freeze meals ahead. Many successful weight loss has been achieved with such strategies. Make food convenient.

As for exercise, well, you have to push yourself to doing it. It is never something people generally enjoy until they start. Exercise before bed if thats the only time you have. Or get to bed earlier and wake up earlier to fit your workout in.

Its all simple. It just isn't easy. But you know what?

It will all be worth it! Good luck! :)
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    Attached is a blog written by MFP member DirtyStacks titled "You will fail at MFP....." Hope this helps you.

"Until you realize that MFP is not a diet. MFP is a tool to take charge of your life. MFP is not a magical answer to fix your weight problem. MFP is simply a way to measure what you put in your mouth and the movement you do to negate that. It's a pretty simple formula, eat less than you burn. If you don't want to exercise, you can lose weight, but it means you have to limit what you eat. If you want to eat more, you need to exercise. It's as simple as that.

However; MFP does offer more than just a way to keep track of what you put into your body and how you burn off calories. The forums and groups are full of a wealth of good AND BAD information. Reader beware. There are people here who will help you and encourage you. They will be happy when you keep logging day after day and love to cheer you on. There are also those that will bash you for eating too little, too much fat, too much protein, too much meat....too much whatever. Most are genuinely passionate about whatever you are doing or not doing. Others are just plain mean. So is the way of social media.

So you want to lose weight? So do most of us. Having a struggle? So are most of us. Can't find motivation? So are most of us. So how do you do it? One meal at a time. One pound at a time. If you are serious about taking charge of your your weight, your life, your world, you can't expect someone to do it for you. I love when people cheer me on, but they can't cheer me on until I DO SOMETHING! No one can do it for you. If you feel like you are a failure, then stop giving up. I know it's hard. IT'S DAMN HARD WORK! If you aren't willing to work for it, you aren't ready.

If you are ready, then WELCOME! MFP is a FABULOUS TOOL to make a goal and attain it. Make that goal and set another one. Will it be easy? No, but most of us here will help cheer you on. And there are many here that you can find inspiration from and come to the realization that one day, you might be someone else's inspiration. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong.

Want to be successful with MFP? You just have to make the commitment that no matter what, no matter how many times you screw up, no matter how many times you feel like you can't, you have to tell yourself I will not quit. Tell yourself, "If I fall down, I will get back up." Stick to your plan. Encourage others. Be honest to yourself. (Your body doesn't know what you log and don't log..don't cheat yourself by not logging!) Good luck to you and your new commitment...a year from now you will be amazed at what you have accomplished...if you just don't quit."
  • autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem and have been struggling with the same 20 lbs for years. Imagine if you were always within 2-3 months of your weight goal, and for 10 years you never bothered?
    That being said, here are my suggestions:

-Take a weekly photo of yourself, and keep them on your desktop, or print them and hang them up. Comparing weekly/monthly change will motivate you, when the scale and mirror are not.

-pay more attention to your measurements, rather than the scale

-If you don't want to eat it white your 'dieting', get it out of your house, or put it out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. If you over-eat even healthy food, than don't keep a lot of food in the house...but if you find that you over eat because you don't have good food available to you when you are hungry, then pre cook your meals 3-7 days in advance, and pre assemble your salads etc, into portioned tupperware containers, and keep handy vegetable snacks ready to eat...then only eat what's in the tupperware.

-join a group online, or get an accountability partner, who has the same general exercise goals and eating aspirations, and who wants to lose about the same amount.

-talk to yourself. "no, you cannot eat that cookie, you beautiful goddess, you! Cookies are for fat and pre-diabetic people and are not fit for a goddess"

-If people are derailing you by offering you food/alcohol when you're dieting, or telling you "you don't need to lose weight", and saying "one little bit won't hurt." Then keep your goals to yourself, and feel satisfaction in your daily accomplishments.

-find a picture of the body you know you can attain. Make it huge, and put it where you're going to see it everyday...or right next to the picture you took of yourself.

-Aim to eat and exercise well 80% of the time, and allow yourself 20% of the time for those cheats.

-if you start eating food that's not part of your diet, don't despair and end up eating even more of it...just relax, log the calories immediately, and drink a bunch of water. Forgive yourself, but don't be too forgiving!

-make a list of what motivates you to loose the weight. keep that list somewhere where you can read it easily. You want to be healthy, you want to have more energy, you want to look good in your clothes, or sexy naked, you want to be alive to see your kids grow up, you want to climb mount everest...

-If you skip a day in exercise, don't go to bed without doing some push ups or sit ups, or 15 mins walking, etc.

-if you lack motivation, find some songs that really get you pumped up. Play those during your exercises, or in the morning, or in the evening when you get home.

-take every day, one day at a time.

-Love the body you have, and the health you have. This will teach you to respect yourself. Treat yourself like a little seed, or baby, or warrior. You need to nurture and care for yourself. You want to feed yourself the best food and keep yourself in the best shape, because you love and honour yourself.

-Don't go more than 2 days skipping exercise, and if you do miss more days than that...just take it easy on yourself. Don't give up and remind yourself of what motivates you.

-If you would be motivated by going to the gym, join. If spending the money and being accountable to your word is important to you, it might be a motivator for you to make sure you never skip class.

-if you think to yourself," oh i can't eat well because i can't afford healthy food"...or "i can't afford that dvd, gym pass, etc...i'll start next month when i save some money, etc." then just remind yourself that all you need to lose weight is your body and your mind.

-Go to the library, or online and find a new exercise program/work out video, etc.

-instead of thinking, "i'll eat this crap today and wake up an hour early to exercise tomorrow, and get back on track tomorrow." Tell yourself "i'll stop binging RIGHT NOW, and i'll go for a walk "right now!"

-get an outfit that you want to fit into, and try it on with pictures, every week. Hang that outfit up where you can see it, and remind yourself you want to look hot in that. Make sure the outfit is a size your can reasonably attain, or maybe as you drop weight, get another outfit...maybe start a size or two down, and soon that outfit will be too large!

-remember that you're strong. That you love yourself. That you're doing this ultimately for you. That you don't have to succumb to being unhappy and unhealthy.

-check out the success stories and photos online.

-Get a weight loss buddy in your city, who you can walk/run, go to the gym with, call up when you're feeling weak, etc.

-join over eaters anonymous.

-log your calories and your activity, even if you know you ate way too much, or really crappy food. Log everyday!!

-If you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off, think one day at a time, slowly but surely, and get back into it. This is a process and a lifestyle change.

-Watch jillian michaels. Picture her in your head, yelling at you.

-Think of yourself as already at your goal weight. Feed your body the way your goal weight body would eat.

-When you have cravings, ask yourself "would i eat an apple or vegetable right now?". If you're not really hungry, drink water, go for walk, get out of the house, remove yourself from the situation.

-find out how your time could be arranged better. Are you spending too much time on the internet, watching TV, having naps, talking on the phone, reading, etc....if you could be exercising, then do it. The 30 day shred is only 20 minutes long, for instance. Walking around the block for 15 minutes is hard to motivate yourself to do sometimes, but why is it so easy to spend an hour on the internet without even noticing the time fly by?

Ok. that's what i've got.
    Remember to honour yourself and your words. Hold yourself accountable. If you feel crappy standing up your friends and family, or cancelling your commitments, then remember, when you aren't eating well and exercising, than you are standing yourself up and being unreliable to yourself.
    It's all about developing new habits, and replacing negative habits and thoughts, with positive activity. Make exercise and eating well a part of your life, and something you personally identify with. Then you won't have to think about motivation. Even if you feel unmotivated, you have this commitment to yourself and this healthy lifestyle, and it won't even matter if "you don't feel like it." You just do it. The more you do, the more you'll be able, and want to do.

Do you want to be unfit all your life and unhappy with yourself?
    Imagine if you were happy with yourself now, and getting more fit every day.
    Imagine where you could be in 6 months, or a year if you stick to your goals, one day at a time!

My absolute favorite :laugh:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You will absolutely do it ..if you re READY. committed. Ready to Get With It. ready to make lifestyle changes ...for LIFE. one step at a time. No "diets". Diets don't work. Work = Losing fat, getting fit, feeling and being BAMtastic!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Just gotta do it. Whatever it takes to get you back on track. Not all your days will be perfect and that's okay but keeping your goals and end game in mind can help. Set small goals and reward yourself with maybe something at the mall or a movie or something, not food.

What keeps me on track when I want to slip is I tell myself that this is what hot people do, and I want to be hot. Lol so I do it.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Plan your meals the day before... only eat what you take with you. Look on here for receipes and view what others are eating. I recently replaced my office chair for a stability ball and do some exercises on it while at my office job. Walk on breaks, take stairs when you can. If you can do it with a buddy. I kill it at the gym when I'm with my cousin. Get some videos that will chanllenge you and keep u motivated. If you want to get back at it you will. Good luck
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    A quote I love: "If you're tired of starting over, quit giving up". It really comes down to that. It isn't easy for anyone to form new and healthier habits, but you can only get there by persevering. You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is silly but I have a TV in the workout room in front of the treadmill. I usually turn the TV to QVC and before I know it, 90 minutes and over 700 calories have gone by!
  • helena260
    helena260 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to everyone but you have to decide I'm going to do this!! I truly believe losing weight is 90% mental and 10% Physical!!! You can do it!!!
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    15 minutes of dedicated walking 3-4x a week.
    I have found that this completely minimal amount of exercise is not only enough to actually improve fitness and help with weight loss but it always turns into more after a couple days of doing it. But it doesn't come with a ton of rules or a ton of struggle or a ton of planning.
    I've done it at lunch hour or after work.

After I do this a few times, I usually want to walk longer or more often and I automatically make better food choices more often.