Cabbage Soup Diet for 1 week cleansing??

Options
Anyone tried this?? Seems weird

No one person or institute claims credit for creating the cabbage soup diet, so there's no specific standard for dieters to follow. Through the years, multiple variations of the diet have surfaced. Although they differ a bit from one another, they're all quite similar.

For each of the seven days, you should eat at least two bowls of cabbage soup. And there are specific foods that you can eat almost without limit each day, though you're encouraged to try to quiet your hunger by eating the low-calorie soup whenever possible. Foods like bread, alcohol and soda are forbidden, although you drink as much water as you like.

Here's the basic schedule:

•Day One: you can eat all the soup you want, as well as any fruit (except bananas).
•Day Two: soup, low-calorie vegetables and one baked potato with butter
•Day Three: soup, fruits and vegetables
•Day Four: soup, six to eight bananas and all-you-can-drink skim milk
•Day Five: soup, six tomatoes and 15 to 20 ounces of beef, fish or chicken. Make sure to take in at least six glasses on water this day -- if not more.
•Day Six: soup, beef and vegetables
•Day Seven: soup, brown rice, vegetables and fruit juice [source: Every Diet, Zelman]

Remember, after seven days, it's important to return to your normal diet.

Replies

• unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There is no doubt you would lose a lot of water weight and shed a lot in this week. But I think it's always been a fad diet. I know some people who have done it to jump start weight loss, but I don't recommend anything extreme like this.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i tried this about 2yrs ago - stupid me!

dont waste your time. plus it smells awful and tastes similar.

horrible horrible horrible!
  • BmoreGinger
    Options
    I mean, you'll lose "weight", but fad diets just don't work. Anything you can't/shouldn't/wouldn't want to continue doing long term is a bad idea.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I disagree lol
    I tried it about 10 years ago... I thought it was yummy. And it worked. But isn't sustainable or anything.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a long time ago and would rather eat a wider range of food! That said the soup is quite nice every once in a while, low Cal and full of veg but when you're eating it daily you'll hate the sight of it!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You will probably lose 5 lbs if you are new to dieting. Same 5 pounds everybody loses the first week of a calorie restricted diet.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There certainly are different variations to this cleansing diet. Years ago I tried the soup as part of the "Common Sense" diet. It was a diet popular at that time. I lost a few pounds on it.. Mostly water.
    If you think it will work try it. At least it will satisfy your curiousity.
    I don't think there's a magic potion for weight loss. It requires a good diet & exercise plan (for life).
    Good luck!!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I disagree lol
    I tried it about 10 years ago... I thought it was yummy. And it worked. But isn't sustainable or anything.

Then it didn't work.
  • EllytoSkinny
    Options
    I tried it about 20 years ago. I thought it was delicious, but like the other posters said the weight you lose will quickly come back.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here is my opinion and please just take it as that. These diets will change your weight, but I don't think your body is going to look that different from eating just a crazy cabbage soup diet. You body changes more and in better ways from consistent exercise and healthy eating. If you really want to look different in a week do something like Jillian Michaels 30DS for a week and eat sensibly. You would be surprised how quickly your body responds to something like that.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I disagree lol

Then it didn't work.

Actually. It did work. As a CLEANSE. I did it for 2 weeks tho, and lost 9 lbs. It isn't sustainable forever. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, as a cleanse, like the poster asked.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    i tried this and obviously lost like 10 lbs in water weight.

i made the soup delicious though i changed it a lot and made it spicy:) actually i think i wanna make it again and go for another 'cleanse' haha
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Actually. It did work. As a CLEANSE. I did it for 2 weeks tho, and lost 9 lbs. It isn't sustainable forever. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, as a cleanse, like the poster asked.

What did you cleanse?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

What did you cleanse?

she is trying to say she pooped a lot
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Cabbage makes people fart.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Yes I pooped. :blushing:
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As a cleanse, I imagine it would work, EXCEPT for the day with 6-8 bananas and skim milk?!? that's a ton of sugar. And the day with meat, which is not exactly known for its cleansing properties. I'd skip those days and shorten your "cleanse".

Side note: when I was 12 and dieting like crazy because of society (I blame you!) my mom and I did the Cabbage Soup Diet.
    The Soup was pretty good, if you like veggies and cabbage, which I do, but I was so weak that I passed out. Be careful.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Cabbage makes people fart.

True story. Big time cabbage farter here.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Low sodium + high potassium = loss of water weight. What happens on day 8 when I eat that 5000mg of sodium plate of wings and fries...?