Eat like a thin person......what In the heck does than mean?

Options
Hi Ya'll! I heard a long time ago that if you are overwight, you should observe how a thin person eats and then work that into your daily plan.

Well, here is my observation... they are full after a couple of bites of their meal.

I don't get it....that doesn't work for me...I'm HUNGRY.

Any advice on how a real thin person eats and how do I incorporate that into my plan?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi Ya'll! I heard a long time ago that if you are overwight, you should observe how a thin person eats and then work that into your daily plan.

Well, here is my observation... they are full after a couple of bites of their meal.

Any advice on how a real thin person eats and how do I incorporate that into my plan?

My advice would be to disregard how thin people eat and instead focus on how you should eat.

Start by creating a reasonable calorie deficit and using some common sense with food selection.
    Get some exercise.
    Get rest
    And repeat.

And don't complicate it beyond that.
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    well, i eat like a real person, the way ive always eaten just not as much, i use my measuring cup alot and measuring spoons and im losing! the only difference is i eat way more fruits and salads than i use to and i only drink water now, havent had a pepsi in almost 3 weeks!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    the thin friends I have woof down food like it's not going to be here tomorrow..that's what pisses me off...they eat whatever they want and don't have to worry about it.

my old man is a rail and he doesn't work out and has almost worn out the fridge hinges. Eats all the friggin time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

My advice would be to disregard how thin people eat and instead focus on how you should eat.

Start by creating a reasonable calorie deficit and using some common sense with food selection.
    Get some exercise.
    Get rest
    And repeat.

You are the king of common sense sir! Excellent advice - follow it OP.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Get some exercise.
    Get rest
    And repeat.

^This. Don't worry about what other people eat. Their body is not yours. You need to focus on what you eat and eat healthy.
  • bobbiebearden
    Options
    My nutritionist tells me to eat like a thin person, and what she means is eating only when you're truly hungry (not bored, grazing, whatever), and more importantly, STOP when you are satisfied! Not when you are stuffed, but when you are satisfied. That has been the hardest part for me, but it really does make a huge difference.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Most of the thin people I know eat like crap, they're just blessed with fast metabolisms. My advice? Eat small healthy meals every two hours to keep your metabolism going, and always eat until you're satisfied. Make sure your largest meal is the one at breakfast too, and eat the most carbs at that time because they'll give you fuel for the day. You shouldn't strive to be thin, just be healthy.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Be happy that you are hungry. I've seen thin people eat like that before, looks miserable. I'm thinner than I have been my whole adult life and I eat a ton. I always feel like I eat the most among my female friends. You probably have a good base for keeping your metabolism high if you've always been an 'eater' like me. Be glad about it! Good luck with your health/fitness goals.
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey! Screw how other people eat, it's about how YOU will eat!

First off, like the previous user said, eat at a caloric deficit. This can be found by putting your height and weight into MFP, and then setting it to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. They will calculate the calories so that just eating the right amount of calories, without exercising or anything, you'll lose weight.

Next - Don't be discouraged by how many calories you get. When I started I was very ambitious and went for 2 lbs a week, I was only allowed like 1300 calories! Heres the thing - at first your body needs to get used to only eating that amount of calories a day, so don't worry it does get better! Next , make sure the calories you DO eat are good ones. In say that I mean... instead of eating a BBQ'd hamburger for 500 calories (that fills you up maybe, but not that much), try eating two grilled turkey burgers for 400 calories. Note: things with protein and good fats, EX: Raw almonds, help keep you full, for longer! When I first started, raw almonds were a staple snack for me.

As long as you eat the right things to keep you nice and full for longer, within a couple of weeks you'll be like "I don't really even get hungry... I just kinda eat when I'm supposed to". It's a very nice feeling :).

Good luck!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    the thin friends I have woof down food like it's not going to be here tomorrow..that's what pisses me off...they eat whatever they want and don't have to worry about it.

my old man is a rail and he doesn't work out and has almost worn out the fridge hinges. Eats all the friggin time.

My Fiance is like that. He can eat whatever and he stays right where he is at. What really sucks is that he likes to exercise and eat the healthy food. I like my sweets and ice cream and etc.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    I wouldn't 'eat like a thin person' because some thin people are naturally like that and eat like crap.

Instead...just eat healthy. Watch your portion sizes. Fill up on healthier parts of the meal. Also, just choose healthier options.

Do you like maple syrup on your pancakes? Have steel oats instead with maple syrup (light, lower sugar) and brown sugar instead. You'll have about 1/2 the calories (approx). Instead of eating fast food every day (upwards of 1000 calories) eat a sandwhich with lighter deli meat (ham, turkey, chicken).

For dinner, if you cook a chicken breast that's 10 oz. 10 oz of meat (which is about 490 - 500 calories) split the chicken in half, and eat 5 oz...which would be about 250 calories instead.

Drink a glass of water before you eat, that tricks you into thinking you're hungry.

Little things can go a long way. Oh, and don't say no to cravings, just avoid over doing it. I crave candy at work, so I enjoy A fun-size candy bar for like 80 calories instead of 3 or 4.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It either sounds like either:

A.) Completely dumb and patronizing advice *OR*
    B.) Sensible advice which would be far more effective if phrased as "If you eat much smaller meals far more frequently than you do now, you will probably find that you will not be overeating as you tend to do when you wait 6 hours between meals and then scarf down 2,000 in one sitting because you're starving."

I have personally found that by eating small meals (or 300 calories snacks, even) every 2-3 hours has helped LOADS with my daily caloric intake. If I go too long without eating, then I will eat everything on the menu and make really, really bad food choices.

That's my 2 cents anyhow. :smile:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The only thin person I've eaten with in recent months eats 2 or 3 times what I can eat. On my diet, I think he would die.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options

I honestly agree with you, everyone body is different, and everyone eats differently!!

Get some exercise.
    Get rest
    And repeat.

^This. Don't worry about what other people eat. Their body is not yours. You need to focus on what you eat and eat healthy.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO!!!!!

I've been thin all my life until my 40's when my metabolism slowed a bit. I'm in the process of modifying foods now.

Thin people are thin because they eat reasonably, they move around a lot and even when sitting, they are active.

There is no secret at all why we look the way we do. It's what and how much we eat.

I've observed people eat all my life and heavy people eat lots of food and really dress it up.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Julie, thanks for the question :flowerforyou:

As a "Skinny Fat" person, I was always able to burn calories because I have always been active...however...up til I joined MFP and logging my food and exercise... I became more AWARE of WHAT foods to eat...As a SKINNY FAT (meaning fat around my organs) and being an ACTIVE person, I ate all the WRONG foods...FRIED almost everyday, JUNK foods (potato chips, candy, SWEETS), and LATE NIGHT SNACKING. I never thought I would get back to my HS weight...cause I thought that was too thin for me...but since we cannot spot reduce, and my goal was to lose Body Fat, I started paying attention here. I am celebrating 285 days here...and I've learned to eat more HEALTHILY! I had a heart attack 3 years ago, and have VOWED I will not have another one. My problem was WHAT I ate. Now I stay away from SWEETS...keep an average calorie deficit til GOAL...Strength train and NO LATE NIGHT SNACKING. You will get there...don't forget to DRINK you WATER, too :bigsmile: Good Luck!!! Deb :drinker:
  • GreatVibe
    Options
    Most of the thin people I know eat like crap, they're just blessed with fast metabolisms. My advice? Eat small healthy meals every two hours to keep your metabolism going, and always eat until you're satisfied. Make sure your largest meal is the one at breakfast too, and eat the most carbs at that time because they'll give you fuel for the day. You shouldn't strive to be thin, just be healthy.

agree ^ :)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For me, I have found that this means to eat lightly 90% of the time, and then allow yourself treats/cheats - once a week. i.e., I now realize this is how many of the thin people eat that I know - I feel kind of dumb for not recognizing it sooner. you don't have to diet 7 days a week 52 weeks a year to get results, you just need to watch MOST of the time, and let yourself eat NORMAL (not binge) the rest of the time.

This is why I have regular cheat days - it's NORMAL to eat good/healthful, 90% of the time, and then eat what you want the other times. I've come to realize, when I am out to eat with the 'thin folk' and they are eating whatever they want, chances are, they aren't doing that for EVERY meal, EVERY day. I've heard them plenty of times say "I'm eating light for lunch because I'm having a BIG DINNER!" unfortunately, I just never GOT it until now.

Anyhow - that's my 2Cents :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    they're just blessed with fast metabolisms

I'm not intending to direct this at anyone:

Thin people are more active. They burn more calories because they move around a lot, they might fidget. and they eat less.

Thinking that it's luck indicates a lack of accountability and I think that's quite detrimental.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Intra-day meal frequency or timing has no impact on your metabolism, assuming calories and macros remain the same.

"Fast metabolism' comment already addressed above.