Eat like a thin person......what In the heck does than mean?

Options

Replies

• pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    they're just blessed with fast metabolisms

I'm not intending to direct this at anyone:

Thin people are more active. They burn more calories because they move around a lot, they might fidget. and they eat less.

Thinking that it's luck indicates a lack of accountability and I think that's quite detrimental.

^^ this

also, not to generalise, but a lot of overweight people eat very quicky- i am not saying thin people dont do this also, but slowing down and giving your body time to acknowledge that it is satisfied (satisfied, not stuffed) would be beneficial
  • ddtph_hayes
    ddtph_hayes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would wait until Im hungry and then eat even if it is at an odd time. Sometimes I dont eat very much.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be thin...I'd rather follow around a body builder and see how they eat.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi Ya'll! I heard a long time ago that if you are overwight, you should observe how a thin person eats and then work that into your daily plan.

Well, here is my observation... they are full after a couple of bites of their meal.

I don't get it....that doesn't work for me...I'm HUNGRY.

Any advice on how a real thin person eats and how do I incorporate that into my plan?

Full after a couple of bites?!? LOL you obviously never sat down to dinner with our daughter #2 who is and has always been rail thin and can outeat anyone! She is also very active, vibrant and healthy, which I am sure helps a lot, but dang, the girl was never a cheap date! The poor young man would order a large pizza and Carrie was asking him what he planned on eating :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I was young and skinny, I could "eat whatever I wanted," but what I wanted tended to be small portions a lot of the times. Or I'd skip a meal here or there. I could eat quite a bit, especially desserts or munchie foods, but it wasn't how I ate consistently. I might have skipped breakfast, had a bowl of cereal for lunch, then pigged out on pizza for dinner.

Now, on the other hand, I've worked hard to increase my TDEE, I'm very active, and eat more than ever. Someone less active would gain weight eating how I eat.
  • laanalcr2268
    Options
    the thin friends I have woof down food like it's not going to be here tomorrow..that's what pisses me off...they eat whatever they want and don't have to worry about it.

my old man is a rail and he doesn't work out and has almost worn out the fridge hinges. Eats all the friggin time.

^^^This
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Eat like a thin person means you figure out what your maintenance calories are for your goal weight and if that's how many you eat daily, eventually your body will drop to that weight. I just use the mfp recommendations that have a built in 1000 calorie deficit, that updates calories for me with the click of a mouse, they made it so easy to follow.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    well don't eat like me! i forced myself thin, being bulimic... binge/starve. no. find your own personal balance. what feels full to you? when do feel hungry? listen to yourself.
  • lynnemack
    lynnemack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for these posts, i feel so much better about myself; what i've noticed about naturally thin people - they eat, exercise, don't binge on sugar - i eat, don't exercise, & binge on sugar; i'd guess this is my problem, i've stopped focusing on others & had to face the reality of me; i wish you all the best; there is some great words of wisdom & advice in these posts :-)
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i think this should be renamed "how do you eat like a fit person" - that's a better question.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi Ya'll! I heard a long time ago that if you are overwight, you should observe how a thin person eats and then work that into your daily plan.

Well, here is my observation... they are full after a couple of bites of their meal.

I don't get it....that doesn't work for me...I'm HUNGRY.

Any advice on how a real thin person eats and how do I incorporate that into my plan?

these guys vouch for eating at the maintenance calories for the weight you want to be www.fat2fit.com
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    i think this should be renamed "how do you eat like a fit person" - that's a better question.

Yes, because in my experience, "thin" people are that way naturally and could eat a full grown horse everyday and not gain weight. My brother is like that. He crams food in like there's no tomorrow and never works out and he's just as thin as ever...
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eat six small meals a day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat six small meals a day

Why?
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It keeps you full, this way. I prefer six small meal over 3 regular meals.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My mom was always thin without trying to be. She rarely ate desserts, she ate verrrry slowly, ate small portions, drank a lot of water and didn't drink soda. Pretty much what MFP promotes.

On the other hand DH is skinny and eats like crap.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I can tell you this for sure: I know why most of my friends are fat. I have spent weekends with them, hung out for long periods of time, and I know what they do, how they eat, and why they are over weight. It is so obvious to me. But, I try not to say anything unless they ask or whatever. But, it's really easy to see. I don't know if they consider me skinny, but if they followed me around for a week and ate what I ate, they'd lose weight right off the bat. They are lazy (don't exercise at all), the ones that do exercise put in minimal effort and then ruin it with a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. They eat like crap; fried food, heavy food with butter salt, cream based things, and giant portions...i mean HUGE. Where I live, most people eat out more than at home. So, if you take shorter women that eat these crazy huge plates of restaurant food drenched in oil and butter, it's pretty easy to see where the problem is. It's one thing to say you're hungry. It's another to say that that is nutrition. Sorry, but that's the truth.

So, in some respects, if anyone that is overweight hung out with me, I'm pretty sure they'd drop weight if they did what I did. If they didn't drop weight, I would say that they probably should visit their doctor because something else is going on. And, by eating what I eat, I don't mean the same portions, I just mean basically we ate together for every meal, and we did the same exercises for a week or two.

So, yes. I think it would work. But, that's just me.

And, I am assuming that that is more of what the nutritionist is talking about. They are not saying, hang out with anyone that is thin and copy them. She probably means, and you should clarify, hang out with someone at a weight and fitness level you would like to achieve and do what they do, and you will probably get similar results, or better results, at a minimum. Just a guess, but that's probably what the nutritionist means.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    It keeps you full, this way. I prefer six small meal over 3 regular meals.

Do you eat smaller meals? Do you a Calorie 1500 or more?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    all of the naturally thin people i know eat FOOD.

they just eat when they are hungry. not because it's there. not because they are bored or sad. they stop eating when they are full, even if that means their eyes were bigger than their stomachs when ordering or putting food on their plates.

there's also no schedule they all adhere to. some eat small meals, some eat 1 big meal and 2 snack, some eat 3 meals no snacks, etc
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    and i only drink water now, havent had a pepsi in almost 3 weeks!

Good for you!! I've had maybe two sodas in the past 9 months and we split them @ the movies.