LOW CARB DIET HELP

Options

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I follow a lower carb diet because it works for me and I have a wheat issue... I find that if I cheat I crave carbs more. When I stick to my plan I'm fine.

That being said if it's not sustainable for you, you might try a different eating philosophy.

I generally eat a veggies & eggs for breakfast, protein on a salad for lunch and protein/veggies for dinner. I also have protein shakes mixed with fruit & coconut oil.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Why not try medifast?

Please. Stop. Most of us are here to eat real food and improve health. Buying processed "diet" food is not healthy advice and neither is severely limiting calories. I, for one, refuse to give any more of my hard earned money to any weight loss corporation.
  • Clemsonmom
    Clemsonmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for low carb help but I just wanted to comment. I have tried for 9 months (doctor insisting I lose) but nothing seemed to work for me. My nurse put me on the high protein low carb, only for me to gain more weight. I was exercising 16 out of 23 days to gain 4 pounds.
    Finally, my daughter agreed to be my support and the nutritionist told me to eat anything that I wanted but to keep my calories around 1600.
    I have only been doing this since September 10, but I have already lost 15 pounds.
    Hope you find what will work for you!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The word "obese" is my medical reason... Doctor suggested this due to my weight and specially where I carry my excess weight.

I wonder why he picked low carb for you? There are lots of obese people that do not eat low carb. And no I am not a low carb hater. In fact, this is my lifestyle for the last year and a half (and likely will be for the rest of my life). For me it is what works best because I have PCOS.

**shrug**

For me, I think of my eating habits as whole foods eating. I don't eat white flour, rice, pasta (except for the occasional Dreamfields pasta), and I avoid very sugary fruits sticking mostly to berries. I don't eat processed foods (no chips, crackers, cereal, etc) or drink any soda or juice. I enjoy the way I eat, but it is not for everyone.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that was suggested and it's quite good: Linda's low carb menus and recipes....also you could join another site like lowcarbfriends.com and get some suggestions/ideas from there. We also have a low carb group on this site with a lot of great info! Good luck!!
    I like to eat lowish carbs, but healthy ones...Ezekial bread and low carb tortillas, Shirataki noodles instead of pasta, berries, lots of veges, plus smaller portions of brown rice or quinoa. You can count cals plus keep your carbs on the lower side.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    youre welcome to take a look at my diary ....im trying to eat low carb..hope it can give you some ideas.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    low carb? that's so 90's. the new fad is paleo.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I did low carb, I LOVED grilled chicken caesar salads. There are caesar dressings with only 1 carb per serving (I believe Kens Roasted Garlic Caesar is one of them) topped with parmesan, bacon crumbles and grilled chicken.

Also, cream cheese/egg pancakes ( one batch of 6-8 is 8 oz cream cheese heated for 1 minute in microwave, 5 eggs stirred in one at a time, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp splenda. Drop by 1/3 cup onto heated skillet and cook on both sides. These are amazing, although the recipe is NOT mine.

Baked Kale chips... 350 degrees for 15 minutes spread out on a baking sheet, with parmesan cheese sprinkled on

Cauliflower mashed potatoes

Cauliflower crust pizza

If you want the recipes for any of these, send me a message. I try to stay under 80g per day (I was doing 20, but that was not something I could stick to after a few weeks) Also, if you like, send me a friend request :)
  • thatgirlmellie
    Options
    Hi, I was doing Weight Watchers and stayed within my points perfectly and was working out 4-5 times a week and my weight wasn't budging. I decided that the carbs might be hendering my weight loss. In the last couple of days I've kept my carbs to 40 g and I lost 1.5 pounds. For instance yesterday, I ate all my meals low carb and then for dinner I made a Turkey Meatball Soup with whole grain penne noodles. So I'm not feeling deprived since I am having some carbs. I usually have at atlkins snack bar after dinner with a cup of tea. I think my keeping my carbs to 40-50, I could live like this long term.
  • jlcarter1975
    jlcarter1975 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth was mentioned earlier. If you make your own (very simle) it is quite health and will not contain all of the sodium that the pre-made stuff does. There are alot of things to do with cauliflower that mimics potatoes such as whipped cauliflower and cauli-rice. If you are after some crunch, I have a serving of pork rinds. It's really the next best thing to chips. I'm ure there are plenty of homemade dressing recipes that would hardly have any carbs, probably a vinegrette. I'm not tottaly going low carb myself, but I am trying to eat "real" food and stay away from pre-packaged items with ingredients that I cannot pronounce. Good luck in your endeavor and remember you are worth it!! Everyone deserves to be as healthy as they can be an I a slowly on my way there.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi. I know your struggle. Due to medical reasons I am doing low carb as well. Check out a book that helped me get started. The Metabolism Miracle. It helped me get past "the carb flu", which was the first few days of your body adjusting to the changes and getting rid of toxins from processed refined carbs. Once you get thru that period, you may find the lifestyle works for you as it did for me.
    I eat all vegetables, except broccoli and cauliflower due to my thyroid condition. I don't include them in my carb allowances. This works for me and it has helped me eat more vegetables in general.
    You can check out my diary. I have bad days and great days. I hope this helps.
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried and was successful with a low carb diet but I quickly gained back 30 of the 50 lbs. I lost. I could not sustain long term and always felt deprived. Now I'm counting calories instead, still being smart about carbs--I average btw. 100-120 per day. Quinoa, whole wheat and other grains, and even the occasional potato have helped me keep my sanity! I try to keep dinner carbs to a minimum. No, I'm not losing as fast as I did but I am losing consistantly--16 lbs. so far this year . I was borderline diabetic and my numbers have improved greatly! Of course, you need to do what you, and possibly your doctor, think is best for you. Good luck on your journey!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I like romaine lettuce wraps with lunch meat and mustard, tons of salads, Chicken with a little salsa and cheese melted on top, slim jims and cheese, eggs all kindddddddds of ways, Taco salad minus shells of course.... I usually fluctuate between 20 carbs a day up to 100 carbs a day....
    With 40-70 carbs a day you have tons of options. And if you are really struggling, maybe splurge on something once or 2ce a week when you eat all 70 carbs.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all the low sodium being thrown about. Low carb you hold less water and lose a fair amount of salt via this. Some low carb diets even recommend a glass of broth daily to keep up sodium levels so too much sodium really shouldnt be a concern.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me and look at my diary. I am trying low ish carb, i average around 80 total carbs a day, but most days is more like 60-70 with the odd 40 and even rarer higher carb 'relax/cheat' day. remember that the important number is actually the net carbs, that's carbs minus dietary fibre content, so whilst my average total carbs over the last 42 days has been just under 80, my average net carbs are only 61, with some days being as low as 30, others as high as 120+ (again, that's one day a week, for a relax day, but I haven't done that for two weeks now)

anyway, food wise, I allow myself bread or cereal for breakfast but after that i try to only eat carbs from vegetables, i eat lots of cheese and chicken (i don't eat red meat) and plenty of vegetables, peppers, courgettes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots etc and lots of salad with olive oil, salt and pepper for dressing. anyway, it can be done and i find it gives many of my meals more flavour too.

Good luck to you.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Your body LITERALLY needs carbs. Too many have tried low or no carb it and it backfired. I eat 45% carbs, 45% protein, 10% fat.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Carbs are just about the one thing in food your body does NOT NEED!

I'm not saying that means we should go without, but the body can survive without them.
  • Lady_Bane
    Options
    Carbs are just about the one thing in food your body does NOT NEED!

I'm not saying that means we should go without, but the body can survive without them.

Survive but not function very well. YOUR BRAIN SURVIVES ON CARBS!
    And thats interesting seeing as your veggies and fruits have carbs, so do meats.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/carbohydrates-do-more-than-make-energy-for-your-bo.html
    http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nutrition/shocking-but-true-your-body-needs-carbs-after-exercising/
    http://www.indoorclimbing.com/carbohydrates.html
    http://www.skinnytwinkie.com/2011/02/healthy-carbohydrates-your-body-needs/

Yes....you need carbs to be healthy and in GREAT shape.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Low carb snacks:

Boiled eggs
    cheese (sticks, string, spready triangles)
    crab sticks
    prawns
    jerky/ pepperami
    nuts
    olives
  • Lady_Bane
    Options
    Low carb snacks:

Boiled eggs
    cheese (sticks, string, spready triangles)
    crab sticks
    prawns
    jerky/ pepperami
    nuts
    olives

Sweet potatoes are also a miracle carb food! :happy: