LOW CARB DIET HELP

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes have around the same carbs as regular potatoes! They have lots of good nutrients, but aren't really a low carb choice.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I didn't say low carb. I said a miracle carb food. I don't do low carb, I do healthy carbs. Sweet potatoes are great for people who want energy, and a healthy choice for it...i lift, i need the carbs and potassium.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I did the low carb thing off and on for awhile - it was too hard to stick with.

The major red flag here - as many have said - is that you are having trouble with it right off the bat. Any approach ANYONE makes to weight loss, should be with the intent that you can do this every day for the rest of your life.

if whatever diet approach you are doing, is NOT something you can live with - as a lifestyle change - FOREVER - then chances are you may/will lose the weight, but, since you can't live that way, the minute you feel you are FREE from the dreaded 'diet', you go back to what you were eating BEFORE the diet - and - guess what - all the weight comes back, plus some - for other reasons I won't mention here now.

NO DIET should EVER be a temporary mindset. Temporary approach means temporary results. Do you want Temporary results?

All this said, there IS truth to refined carbs spiking blood sugar and triggering cravings. So if you focus on eating mostly unprocessed foods, lots of fruit and veggies, Protein and healthy fats, you find that you aren't hungry, you FEEL better, have more energy, and CAN do that in most cases for the rest of your life. Additionally, when you eat like that, and you are focusing more on calories in/vs out, then you can allow yourself high calorie days - or treat days once a week, which makes it not feel like a diet. It makes it livable.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options

The major red flag here - as many have said - is that you are having trouble with it right off the bat. Any approach ANYONE makes to weight loss, should be with the intent that you can do this every day for the rest of your life.

if whatever diet approach you are doing, is NOT something you can live with - as a lifestyle change - FOREVER - then chances are you may/will lose the weight, but, since you can't live that way, the minute you feel you are FREE from the dreaded 'diet', you go back to what you were eating BEFORE the diet - and - guess what - all the weight comes back, plus some - for other reasons I won't mention here now.

NO DIET should EVER be a temporary mindset. Temporary approach means temporary results. Do you want Temporary results?

All this said, there IS truth to refined carbs spiking blood sugar and triggering cravings. So if you focus on eating mostly unprocessed foods, lots of fruit and veggies, Protein and healthy fats, you find that you aren't hungry, you FEEL better, have more energy, and CAN do that in most cases for the rest of your life. Additionally, when you eat like that, and you are focusing more on calories in/vs out, then you can allow yourself high calorie days - or treat days once a week, which makes it not feel like a diet. It makes it livable.

Yes!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    You are welcome to look at my diary. :)

I think it is a lot about (for me anyway) starting to care less about food, and getting my pleasure elsewhere. I need to look at food as fuel, not fun. :)
    If you are doing it right- everything will taste delicious, regardless of what it is!! I had a plate of spinach last night with some grilled chicken, that was the best thing I have ever eaten! LOL!! Eat only when you are really hungry, things will feel differently!
  • schustc
    Options

Yes!

OH ! and the irony here is :) when I am doing this right - when I am really focused, I have a HARD Time getting my carbs in. LOL that always blew my mind. Fruits, veggies, lean meats as a general rule are just NOT heavy carb foods. I remember lamenting on not being able to eat ENOUGH carbs. why? because when you cut out a lot of the processed foods, say bye bye to the carb overload. Even oatmeal, and fruit, are not as carb heavy as you think. why? because you can't EAT a ton of those things. It's not like you can sit down and eat 2 cups of oatmeal... You get full WAY faster. but try to sit down and eat 2 cups of ice cream. have 2 cups of a milk shake, 2 cups of gourmet coffee drink with chocolate and sugar for example. one serving of yams (had for lunch) is so crazy filling. I sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over it - and YUM!... enjoy your food, enjoy the way GOOD food makes you feel. Pay attention to how you feel when you eat processed, sugar laden junk and how crappy you feel.

I am just coming off of a week long Stress Eating break. Work was insane and hours were insane and I had no energy to focus on healthy food choices. I ate crap, felt like crap, and could not WAIT to get back on track today. I've had breakfast and lunch, am STUFFED to the gills, feel GREAT, and have plenty of calories to last the rest of the day. THIS is what FEELS AWESOME! to be happy, full, energized, AND on track to lose again. That's addictive, motivating, and habit forming :):drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • VALERIE122386
    VALERIE122386 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think that colon cleasners are a good idea to jump start a diet ?
  • VALERIE122386
    VALERIE122386 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thats great !! I didnt know that sweet potatoes were a health choice for carbs...are there any others ?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Your body LITERALLY needs carbs.

Unless you're exercising heavily, your body only needs about 30g to 40g of carbs a day, to fuel the brain. The body can make those carbs from the protein and fat you eat. The brain will use up to 130g of glucose a day from the diet if it's available, but there's no requirement to eat that many carbs. Fat and protein ARE required. If you're exercising hard for an hour or more at a time, then you'll perform better eating some carbs before or after.

Most people don't need to cut out carbs completely, just modify which ones and how much. Grains have very little nutrition and a higher likelihood of causing problems (celiac disease, gluten intolerance, etc.). Refined sugar has no nutrition at all and is implicated in all sorts of health problems.
  • schustc
    Options
    Does anyone think that colon cleasners are a good idea to jump start a diet ?

I would say no. I'm not so sure colon cleansers are what they claim to be - though that's my opinion. Spend a day eating oatmeal, apples, and toss back some black coffee - prunes if you want too. You won't have to worry about colon cleansing then :)

if you're looking to push the scale results, eh, well, I'm not so sure if what you see is really going to make a difference. Here's the thing, if you do have a lot of .. ahem.. stuff to cleanse out, and you jump on the scale and lose 5 lbs. Guess what? it's not fat. It's just stuff that was in your intestines. The scale is fickle anyhow. If you want to do the colon cleanse for psychological purposes, as it may LOOK good on the scale, go ahead. There's a chance you may lose some bloat, so your pants may fit looser too. but it's not really fat.

all my opinion - but Ive done them, and watch my husband do this cranberry juice cleanse where all he could drink was this cranberry juice concoction. eh. no thanks. I'll take my real food, and some oatmeal and an apple any day. Tastes better, is more filling, and doesn't leave me jonesing at the food commercials on TV. :flowerforyou:
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Keto is a diet that is even lower carb then you are trying (it is what I'm on, restricting to 20 carbs a day)

Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/

That will give you some low carb options and if you stick to those maybe you can still fit in fruits and some other things since you have a higher allowable level. One reason you might be suffering worse craving is when people first start Keto they are going into Ketosis, this can spike cravings for Crabs. Some can stay in Ketosis with 50 carbs or less, so 30-70 you might be going in and out of Ketosis a lot. Low carb diets often require more sodium and Potassium. Try drinking some broth with a KCl salt subsitute and see if that helps. You may be experiencing Keto Flu.

A cookbook that has also helped is http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Carb-Recipes-Snacks-Dessert/dp/1931412065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350152011&sr=8-1&keywords=dana+carpenter+low+carb
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the question and for all the answers. I've been "Stuck" and just yesterday decided to cut back on carbs to see if it would jump start me. I appreciate all the advice and links I've found under this topic.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I tried the 17 day diet (low carb) and it was NOT for me! I just try to eat carbs in moderation.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I try to stay 100 or less for a day. I do subtract my fiber to get my net carbs. You can look at my diary to see what I eat. I think I eat pretty well. Some days I have a few more, but for most part I'm there.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I started the year on the 17 day diet. The first 17 are low carb (but still has fruit so not super low) and low fat (only eating chicken and turkey white meat and some fish), after that it doesn't stay to that. I wasn't able to keep to the 17 day diet because my husband was on Keto and they differed way too much and we couldn't eat the same meals. Making two dinners burned me out so fast.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't for everyone. Until you've depleted your glycogen stores after prolonged low carb changes, you'll crave bad stuff because your body would prefer to burn easy energy like glucose. Took me two weeks (once I was in ketosis) to stop craving bad stuff. Once my body started burning ketones, I started to feel like I've been fueled more efficiently.

All in all, I think if you just take a step back and look at the way certain foods make you feel and tailor your diet to that approach, you should find something sustainable. Best of luck!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I remember when Atkins was very fashionable a few years ago, a local pub did an "Atkins Friendly Cheeseburger"

It was a burger with cheese between 2 chicken breasts! :love:

OMG :love:
  • missbehaviore
    Options
    Please don't listen to people that say you should abandon the low carb diet. Every "dieter" struggles, and processed carbohydrates cause a host of problems for women. Once you reach your goal weight you can, and should, bring back the fruit and higher carb foods slowly, or else you'll never be able to maintain it. I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I am fairly angry about the modern industrial demands and corporate culture that have created a generation of women struggling with diabetes and weight-related issues. Your body is strong and resilient, it has the capacity to make another human being, and then to independently create food to sustain that child's life. And they've managed to concoct food substitutes that interfere with this powerful process.

If you really get a craving for chips, etc (my weakness), there are soy based substitutes that taste pretty good. It still doesn't compare to the natural protein and carbs you get from lean protein and vegetables. I love to make salads with the rotisserie chicken they sell at Costco, baby cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and then a slightly indulgent dressing. You can squeeze a little tangerine juice on it to get that sweet taste with minimal carbs. I like Nitrate free, uncured turkey bacon, laughing cow cheese, and salmon sashimi. I also buy Naked Nectar Juices and water them down by 90% - they still taste pretty sweet. Stir-fry made at home is low carb and filling (even though it's hard to not want the rice!). Polenta is fairly low in carbs and w/ some sauce is my pizza snack substitute. I always use baby veggies, they's just more tender and flavorful, and use as much fresh herb as possible. I just buy one of those $3 basil plants and keep it outside, cilantro on hand at all times and fresh thyme.

When it gets really hard, remind yourself that any diet that allows you a nice lean steak or pork chop isn't the worst thing in the world.

Good luck!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

The major red flag here - as many have said - is that you are having trouble with it right off the bat.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. If someone has been eating a high-carb, low-fat diet for years, their body needs time to adjust to a reduced-carb diet. It may take several weeks, and some experimenting with the amount and type of carbs. It also requires changing old habits, and that can be even harder. I think that may be where the OP is. She knows what to avoid, but needs help on what to add and how to prepare it. Several people have provided good sources for recipes and ideas for snacks.

NO DIET should EVER be a temporary mindset.

<snip>

Totally agree with you.