Do you enjoy pushups?

Options
I hate them. I'm doing ChaLean Extreme right now and she says that if you hate pushups it's because you don't do them much. She claims I'll get better at them, but I can't even do ONE "boy" pushup (on my feet). I have to do them on my knees and I can only do maybe 10.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just keep at it. you'll get there.

next time try to do 2 pushups on your toes then do the rest on your knees. next workout do 3..

just keep working at it. :smile:
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    like above. add one more push up each time you do them. haha i could do like 2 when i started... am up to 30. still rubbish but i do weights to boost ha
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Push ups are my least favorite exercise.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I suck at them. I can do 4 or 5 boy ones, and that's only on an energetic day. To be fair though I couldn't do one 6 months ago so practise does help.
    But still. They're horrible and should die.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I always say that I would rather run a straight 10 miles than do any kind of strength training. I lift free weights but I cannot for the life of me do push ups. Every time I do them, my wrists get painfully sore. I know push ups are supposed to be really good for you, but my wrists can't handle it.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

next time try to do 2 pushups on your toes then do the rest on your knees. next workout do 3..

I can't even do ONE. I can bring my chest to the floor, but I cannot push myself back up.
  • Alioops831
    Options
    I hate them. I suck at them. I can do 4 or 5 boy ones, and that's only on an energetic day. To be fair though I couldn't do one 6 months ago so practise does help.
    But still. They're horrible and should die.

Yes, I agree. They SHOULD die.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    NO! I hate pushups. Hatehatehate! :tongue:
  • madworld1
    Options
    I think there is enough of us here to kill the push ups. No one will ever know. (If we delete this thread).
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    We should stab them until they bleed to death. Quick, while it's quiet.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes, but i'm having trouble with my elbow. i use the push up bar which rotates which i notice that it fix my elbow problems
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I do them off of a bar or a bench right now (as per my trainer) so I don't REALLY hate them, and i'm getting better and better. I've lowered the bar 2 spots since I started.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I can't even do ONE. I can bring my chest to the floor, but I cannot push myself back up.

working on negative push ups also work too. slowly lower yourself down then get back into starting position any way you can and repeat like 10 times.

also for getting up from the floor you can also try have one leg straight and the other knee on the floor.

you can also practice straight legged against surfaces of various heights.

there are many ways to make push ups your friend. let push ups be your friend. they are warm and fuzzy like cute lil puppies and kittens :smile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I used to hate them!

Now, I love them. Started on my knees doing 2 sets of 20 and barely making it through. Saw great definition in my back and lower abs, and was hooked from that point on. I can do "real" pushups now, and it's a great whole body workout.
  • Alioops831
    Options
    We should stab them until they bleed to death. Quick, while it's quiet.

I would inject them with arsenic. Quick and clean. :P
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I hate pushups too, but I agree that it's probably because I can't do them. I hate anything that I can't physically do. It's frustrating. My husband's in the army, and he can pump out like 80 of them in a row. I just stare at him in amazement. On a good day, I can maybe do one or two "boy" pushups.... which is one or two better than I could do a few months ago! I doubt I'll ever get to my husband's level, but I don't think I'll hate them as fiercely once I can do enough to get through a set.
  • madworld1
    Options
    I used to hate them!

Now, I love them. Started on my knees doing 2 sets of 20 and barely making it through. Saw great definition in my back and lower abs, and was hooked from that point on. I can do "real" pushups now, and it's a great whole body workout.

dammit... now we have a witness among us! haha ;)
  • Alioops831
    Options

there are many ways to make push ups your friend. let push ups be your friend. they are warm and fuzzy like cute lil puppies and kittens :smile:

But they smell nasty.

Oh, fine. I'll try to love them. *grumbles*
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pushups, but that's probably because I CAN do them... I do about 100 in an Insanity workout these days. It hurts like hayell, but I can do it, and that's energizing to me.

Something that might help you is to do reverse pull ups.

Climb up onto a pull up bar, then slowly lower yourself down. Climb back up, slowly lower yourself down (as slowly as you can control).

A while ago I couldn't do pull ups, and that's how I learned to do them. It uses many of the same muscles as pushups.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I'm doing ChaLean Extreme right now and she says that if you hate pushups it's because you don't do them much. She claims I'll get better at them, but I can't even do ONE "boy" pushup (on my feet). I have to do them on my knees and I can only do maybe 10.

If you keep doing them you will get stronger. I used to not be able to do them, now I can whip them out and it feels quite awesome. It's very empowering for a female. Keep up the good work.