Heading off to Disney World...any advice?

Options
Lovestoscrapbook
Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
Heading off to Disney...flying part of the way and driving part of the way. First trip for me and my kids...looking for advice on things that we should be sure to do as well as ideas for healthy snacks to pack. Starting off with a 9 hour drive so will be packing:
fruit snacks
string cheese
almonds
craisings
apples
sugar snap peas
peanut butter
raisins
cereal in snack sized bags (apple cinammon cheerios...yum)
Crystal light for water

Any other ideas for snacks? Things we should do?

Replies

• Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Typing too fast...meant "craisins"
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Have fun, walk lots, and drink your water
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    This is the perfect time of year to come to Orlando...our weather has been beautiful!

I highly recommend getting a fast pass while at the parks if your little ones are impatient...makes for a much better experience (if you don't mind the extra cost).
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Note that at most of the lesser-cost restaurants, you can switch out the fries and get apple slices instead.

Do EVERYTHING. I love Disneyworld. :)
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Our weather is awesome today. A bit windy, but awesome.

When you say things to do, do you mean inside Disney or in Orlando area? If you mean in Orlando area, do EPCOT for sure. That can be a whole day event. I love EPCOT. So much to see there and it's so well done.

Also, try to eat before and after you go to the parks. Their prices are insane - especially if you got all your kids with you.

Depending on the age of your kids, you could also check out Lego Land. I've never been, but hear good things.

If you're unfamiliar with the stores, Publix is our major grocery store chain - but the food is usually cheaper at super-target. I say that in case you want to restock on snacks at a grocery store. I remember when I first moved to FL, I didn't realize Publix was a grocery store so it took a while to figure out where to get food.
  • joveen86
    joveen86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    California Adventure and Indiana jones rides. Wohoooooooooo... Take me Take meeeeeeeeeee pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.. Oh so many rides come to mind. And get a turkey leg. lol..
  • ktillotson14
    Options

If you're unfamiliar with the stores, Publix is our major grocery store chain - but the food is usually cheaper at super-target. I say that in case you want to restock on snacks at a grocery store. I remember when I first moved to FL, I didn't realize Publix was a grocery store so it took a while to figure out where to get food.

Lol this made me laugh for some reason
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Go on the teacup ride.
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    Lego Land is great depending on your children's ages. It's geared more toward younger kids.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Lol this made me laugh for some reason

There's a software comany by the same name. I figured that the place was one of their offices. Also, from where I moved, there were no super targets, so I didn't realize they sold food either. The only place I even knew of was walmart, but it was in a crappy area. I was living out of a hotel at the time and my computer was out of state, so I had to figure it all out by word of mouth. Don't hate. =P
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I might go to Disney this month (or next one... hopefully october to see all the halloween deco), and I never have a problem with the food there.. I never get hungry, when friends or relatives wanna sit down to eat im like ´come onnnnnn, im not hungry, lets go here, lets go there we are wasting timeeee´ :sad:
    hahaha I rarely eat.. the only thing I can miss is my cinnamon churro at night, mmmmmm
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy choices there, as well, especially if you're staying at a Disney resort. I stayed at Carribean Beach and there were a ton of healthy sandwich and breakfasts available. And allow a splurge one or 2 nights for dinner. It's not everyday you're lucky enough togo to Disney! Have fun!
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    check out your options dont grab the first thing you see ...but, try new things that you dont have everyday also HAVE FUN!!!
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    @normal- Well aren't you glad you discovered Publix? I refuse to shop anywhere else...I'm a dedicated patron :)

When did you move here?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There's a grocery store within walking distance of Downtown Disney so you can get there without a car if necessary for anything you might want to pick up in Orlando. Our usual when we go is to keep some stuff in the hotel room fridge and we go back to the room midday because it's too much to spend all day at the parks without a break.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    http://www.disboards.com/ <---- endless advice on all things Disney
  • bahlquist
    Options
    lots of water and get the fast pass for rides saves a ton of time less waiting in long lines!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on how old your kids are (older ones appreciate food more than younger) and your budget, I once ate at a restaurant by the Boardwalk Hotel (the Captain's something or other, I can't remember) that had some of the best food I've ever eaten. It takes a lot to impress me and they really did. Dinner and dessert were AMAZING. But it was really expensive (I wasn't paying! lol).
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    First holiday with your kids? To dizney? Just enjoy yourself honey! X
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    try to get the fast passes ahead of time, sux to be in those 45min to 1hr lines