Do you enjoy pushups?

Options

Replies

• possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love them. The 100 pushup challenge was great motivation for me.

Same for me! Just finished week 5 today! Granted, I've been doing them on my knees for this run, next time I think I'm going to switch to 1 knee, and then hopefully when I finish that one I'll be able to move up to real ones, etc. etc. =]]]
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I can't even do them from my knees yet, I have to lean against a wall to do them right now. I hate them too, but since my chest resembles two fried eggs hanging on a nail, I need to do them to build up my chest muscles.
  • tburnelis
    Options
    I always say that I would rather run a straight 10 miles than do any kind of strength training. I lift free weights but I cannot for the life of me do push ups. Every time I do them, my wrists get painfully sore. I know push ups are supposed to be really good for you, but my wrists can't handle it.

Be sure to stretch your forearms and wrists before and after push-ups. I'm capable of doing the push ups, but my wrists also get sore and end up being my limiting factor in how many I can do. My biggest issue was the forearm muscles getting tight and pulling on my wrist and elbow.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Used to dislike pushups - they weren't awful, but they weren't too, bad, I guess. Now I can't do them at all, thanks to wrist and shoulder surgery, and of course, now I *really* want to do pushups :grumble: Finding this is really hindering me as to toning up my upper body.

Am doing kickbacks and bicep curls with light weights (3kg) instead to help slowly nudge things in the right direction. Any advice as to anything else I can do?
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love pushups! It's one of the best strength training exercises to work your whole body.
    I do Les Mills body attack at the gym and there's a 4-5 minutes track of pushups and I do most of them on my toes. One of the pushup tracks we did recently I counted 65, I did them all on my toes!!!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I always say that I would rather run a straight 10 miles than do any kind of strength training. I lift free weights but I cannot for the life of me do push ups. Every time I do them, my wrists get painfully sore. I know push ups are supposed to be really good for you, but my wrists can't handle it.

Be sure to stretch your forearms and wrists before and after push-ups. I'm capable of doing the push ups, but my wrists also get sore and end up being my limiting factor in how many I can do. My biggest issue was the forearm muscles getting tight and pulling on my wrist and elbow.

Interesting... I will try stretching beforehand. Thanks.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Such a negative thread! Pushups are so awesome and you can get creative. My current favorites are plyo medicine ball pushups and narrow hand position (diamond) pushups!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    One of my fav strength exercises. Although Im unable to do them at the moment. Someone suggested I do push ups off a bench and I ended up injuring my shoulder. currently having treatment for that. I miss doing push ups :(
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a single proper push at the beginning of last year, but I was determined I would do them so I kept trying.....I've managed to do 55 push ups without stopping, yay! Goes to show if you're determined you can achieve things you never thought possible.

Push ups are really good for you!
  • Samelmo
    Options
    Mind over matter.Decide you will do it and slowly introduce a push up at a time on your toes. What I find really challenging is Chaturanga push ups. Keep trying!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I love push ups lol, I can definitely understand where the dislike of them can come in though. If you are having trouble with them, do as many as you can on your toes, and if/when that doesn't work, drop to the knees. Just keep at them and progress will come!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was an over 300lb couldn't do one. Still at about 255 and I try to do 50 a day. Some just plain, some with a pushup bar, and some elevated legs for variety.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I used to hate them, but now I can do proper man push ups, I love them. Still hate lateral raises and arnold presses.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    No, but like them better than squats and lunges. But I have to do the knee kind most of the time. Plank is hard too. But I can't stand the squat or lunge, which I still can't do properly! :angry:
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have been doing ChaLEAN Extreme now for 5 months and still suck at pushup ...but I must say there has been a slight improvement,lol Keep at it...we will master it at some point! :laugh: I think I would have the strength to do a "real" pushup if I would lose more weight , and have less to pushup!!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like that I can do them, I like that my arms are toned and not as jiggly... hmm. I think I'm apathetic towards them ;).
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the 100 pushup challenge. I'm on week 3 (again because day 2 was just too hard for my liking). I did 25 on my last fitness test!

eta: I cant say I enjoy them per say, but I enjoy being able to do more and feeling stronger.
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pushups and I are not friends :( At all...
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Okay.... was my original post just yesterday? It was, I think. Well, today I started the Push phase of ChaLean Extreme and guess what? I did ONE real pushup (on my toes)! It wasn't perfect, but I finally pushed myself back up. One is better than nothing, right?
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I hate pushups and am just starting to get in shape. But, I always heard that the exercises you dislike the most are the ones you NEED the most, so I try ... It is a a great exercise for toning up.