How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Aria scale and weigh in every morning. I dont let the fluctuations bother me because they are natural. I hold myself and the scale accountable on every Monday. That is when I look at the comparison from the previous week and determine if I've lost or gained. As someone else said, if I avoid the scale it is a bad sign for me. It means I'm avoiding the truth and/or facts about my habits.

Over the past 7 days I have lost 3.5 lbs overnight, 2 days later gained 4 lbs back. However, from Monday to Monday I can say I lost 2.3 lbs and use that number to compare next Monday.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Weekly, around the same time before I have eaten anything. I would be to curious to wait a month. But I can see how that works for everyone else! But daily is just too much for me! my weight flucuates too much daily and I get frustrated
  • sandra152
    Options
    I jump on the scales every morning I know i shouldnt it's a habit i must break because every morning I shout whats wrong with these scales are who's been messing with them he he
  • gzmacc
    gzmacc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday, different times of day too. I think more out of curiosity, although it does keep me on the right track, if I weigh more one morning, it get's me motivated!
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    thanks everyone! i'm going to play around with it a little and see what feels best. i honestly like the accountability of weighing yourself daily but will have to give it a trial run. i don't think it would negatively impact my mood when fluctuations are highlighted but you can't be sure until you try it. i think i may start out with the 2x a week idea, that sounded like a good compromise!
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i'm going to play around with it a little and see what feels best. i honestly like the accountability of weighing yourself daily but will have to give it a trial run. i don't think it would negatively impact my mood when fluctuations are highlighted but you can't be sure until you try it. i think i may start out with the 2x a week idea, that sounded like a good compromise!

I know I "shouldn't," but I do weigh myself every morning. Of course, as others have said, weight fluctuates, so I take it with a grain of salt, and don't get too excited (or bummed) until I see an actual trend. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you keep that in mind! I do record my weight daily just for kicks (and because I like spreadsheets :smile: ) but I try to only record on MFP once a week.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    not often at all, because i dont have a scale. i know if i had a scale id be weighing myself all the time x( so its probably a good thing that i dont have one. i normally weigh myself less than once a month on a friend's scale. :)
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At the beginning i weighed every day, as I was losing weight fast, and seeing the scale was very motivating.

When it slowed down I started weighing 2 x a week.

When I reached my first plateau, after a few weeks of that, i started weighing 1 x a week. Which is what I do now.

When I ran into certain obstacles like constipation or injuries I skip my weigh ins as for me it is way too de-motivating and depressing to see myself gain weight. I 'm an emotional eater, and although that is improving somewhat, I dont want to risk sabotaging myself.

im assuming as my weight loss journey continues my weight loss will slow down even more.When it does I may move on to weighing myself every other week, or 2 x a month.

When I reach my goal weight I may begin to weigh every day, again, for awhile.
    we'll see when i get there
    I know one thing for sure my weigh ins will not be on mondays, as I tend to lax up bit on weekends. My weigh day is thursday, thinking that it will help me to be good on the weekends.:flowerforyou:
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...and sometimes twice a day. I know some people say that's bad but it doesn't bother me.

For me it's just curiosity I want to know if that heavy dinner I ate made a difference. I only record my weight when I see a stable loss or gain over a week or more. That works for me

...exactly what I think.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, every morning as soon as I get up. It doesn't work so well for me because weight changes so much daily and then I obsess on it. I'm trying to start doing it weekly as my nutritionist suggested. So far the most I've made it is 3 days. I have a friend that weighs weekly and it works well for her.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every couple of months, for the very simple reason that I don't own a scale so I wait until we visit my bf's parents and use their scale. :) I don't feel at all compelled to buy one myself, partly because I've been using theirs for over 5 years so I like the consistency, and I just don't feel the need to weigh myself very often. I'd like to look like I've lost 20 lbs, but I doubt my numbers will go down that much because of muscle gain, so mass is less important to me anyway.
  • aussiemegs82
    Options
    I want to do it every day but I try to resist and do it weekly on sundays. I obsess and get upset if it I don't lose. I know, totally irrational but there it is. So weekly for me and even now I am thinking of pushing it out to 2 weeks as my weight loss slows down. Rome wasn't built in a day and my weight loss won't occur in a day either.
  • d1angel
    Options
    I weigh and record my weight every morning. If I didn't drink enough water or ate a lot of salty food, that will show up, and then I know to adjust my water/food/exercise for the day accordingly. I'd rather catch things early.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    before and after I poop... I have odd curiosities
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I brush, shave, shower and then weigh myself. If I'm not within the range that I should be, I will redo my food diary and exercise harder the next day. I know many people don't believe in the scale everyday. I do because it works for me. I've managed to keep off 40 lbs and not be surprised by some ten pound overage. Just saying......
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Once every two weeks on the same day at the same time.

I find that my day to day fluctuations are way too dramatic for me to benefit from (or enjoy) daily weigh ins...

The key is finding a frequency that is often enough to provide you with positive feedback while not being so often that you get obsessive.