I'm running a half marathon...TOMORROW

Options
Ok, so one of my goals when joining this site was to eventually run a half marathon. After months of training, the big day is tomorrow! However, I'm so nervous and I just can't relax. Any tips from marathon runners? What should I do this evening?

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Get some sleep! Once you're there the race day buzz will take over. I've done a few halls now and it's a brilliant challenge. Don't take off too quickly and enjoy the atmosphere.

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You should get max sleep tonight, but if you're like the rest of us that just isn't going to happen. . . too much race anticipation. Otherwise, eat well, but not too much. You don't want to feel weighed down in the morning.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Trust your training, tomorrow is pay day!

Eat a healthy dinner today (you don't need to specifically carb load but my favourite the night before a race is a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce) nothing new however.

Lay out your gear for the race tonight, that way you're less likely to feel stressed tomorrow and go to bed on the early side.

Try to eat at least a couple of hours in advance of start time - again, no new foods, something like a bagel and peanut butter (after a few races you'll almost become ritualistic about what you eat pre-race) and try to get to the starting area in good time. Go to the bathroom.......(I know, I hate porta potties too but it's time to take one for the team) warm up a bit and find your corral if they're using them. If the race has pace bunnies try to find (and latch onto) the one closest to your predicted finishing time, if they don't pay attention to your pace, it's really easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast.

Most importantly......smile as you cross the finish line. Have a great race!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    avoid alcohol, drink plenty of water, and carb up. enjoy a big pasta dinner.

go to bed waaaaay earlier then normal, because you will be nervous and have trouble sleeping.

good luck!!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    RELAX! Enjoy a great movie and go to bed early!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Trust your training, tomorrow is pay day!

Eat a healthy dinner today (you don't need to specifically carb load by my favourite the night before a race is a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce) nothing new however.

Lay out your gear for the race tonight, that way you're less likely to feel stressed tomorrow and go to bed on the early side.

Try to eat at least a couple of hours in advance of start time - again, no new foods, something like a bagel and peanut butter (after a few races you'll almost become ritualistic about what you eat pre-race) and try to get to the starting area in good time. Go to the bathroom.......(I know, I hate porta potties too but it's time to take one for the team) warm up a bit and find your corral if they're using them. If the race has pace bunnies try to find (and latch onto) the one closest to your predicted finishing time, if they don't pay attention to your pace, it's really easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast.

Most importantly......smile as you cross the finish line. Have a great race!

All of this...and don't try anything new as far as fueling or shoes...trust your training.

Oh yeah...the second most important thing after smiling at the finish line (for your race photo LOL): HAVE FUN!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump as I have my first next week and am anxious to see all of your suggestions...OH and GOOD LUCK!!! :)
  • midmomike2
    Options
    First, you should be so proud of all the work you put in to get to this point! That's AWESOME! Tonight, just try to get rest, have a good quality carb based meal(pasta,quinoa,rice,etc.), and be sure to layout what you'll need tommorow. Best of luck! You'll do fine I'm sure!
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No advice, since I have never done this. Have fun and listen to your body! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't go out too fast!

I hope you win!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, you should be very proud. Give it your best tomorrow, go girl!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful time!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    eat, sleep

poop
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not much more to add except my first is next Sunday and I know how you're feeling! I plan to just order room service and chill out in a great suite with the husband for the night and try to sleep. Good luck!!!!! I can't wait!
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you!! Enjoy your day, and have fun with the high! I haven't done a half for years (kids and time-inefficient), but am slowly working back up to it. The excitement and rush of the day are to be savoured. It is really easy to get caught up in it, and to rush yourself. Initially, the start is a little slow because of the press of people, but once it starts to clear it is easy to go from a walk to a sprint - like everyone says, ease into your pace.

I just read an article that said that rushing it can see you hitting the wall. Some seasoned runners explained that when they pace themselves, start a little slower and build to finishing a little faster, they often beat their times consistently. They have ALL started a race too fast, and each one of them finished their race with a much slower time than they had hoped to achieve. These are the truly committed athletes, though. Not many of us are like them!! (Well, in my mind, I feel like I am after a good run!!) I am not sure if you have a time goal. Probably with your first it is better to just go in looking to experience it and enjoy it. But if you do, I hope that this info helps.

The nerves won't ease up until after you cross that finish line (smiling widely), and then you will be grabbed by the high of finishing! Wow, are you in for a wonderful day tomorrow! Please let us know how you went. And we would love to see a photo of you post-race!!!

Good luck, and have FUN!!!!

Wil
  • girlsrun
    Options
    I totally agree with what was said above!! Enjoy your day, you worked hard for it. Biggest mistake is going out too fast. Let everyone go. It's so tempting to get into the rush at the start but let people pass you. Trust that you will be picking them off at mile 9 when they hit the "Wall".
    Rest, eat smart, and NOTHING new on race day. No new shoes, food, socks...

Sending good vibes and energy!
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "real" tips to provide (I'm training and plan to do my first half this spring)... but rest tonight and enjoy your run!

Good luck and have a blast!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Wow, 1/2 marathon? I'd love to get there. I just did my first 5K and I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it. Well I did! I wasn't the first one done, but I sure wasn't the last one either. It wasn't about being the first or last one over the finish line. It was about going over the finish line with the best effort I had to put forth and that is what I did.
    You will do fine, you sound ready, nervous, because it's new to you, but hey, what an accomplishment and that sure does give you bragging rights! Have fun, pace yourself and just do the best you can. It's all you can do. I'd recommend a tablespoon or two of peanut butter before you go, not too heavy but a little something. Good luck!
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Plus, not all race organizers provide safety pins for your bib. Bring 4 just in case. :)

And have fun!! You will definitely get a boost from the excitement and the people around you. Just enjoy yourself.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't go out too fast!

^^^Best advice right there!