I've always been obese. Anyone else?

Options
It's been 2 weeks now and I've made a firm decision about changing my lifestyle. One of my mental roadblocks is the fact that I have quite literally always been obese. In Kindergarten I was 4ft 3 and 100lbs. My senior year of high school 280lbs at 5ft 10. I recently turned 30 and knew something had to be done. But my one mental roadblock is this obese life is all I've ever known. It's all I've ever been. I've never met anyone who has consistently been obese that has also turned their life around. I've lost nearly 7lbs in the last 2 weeks. I hope that's a good indication that things can change.

Thanks for listening. :D

Replies

• CanadianDot
    CanadianDot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I weighed more than 300 lbs just going IN to high school!! 2009, I lost 100 lbs... And then I gained it all back, plus 10.

I'm waiting to talk to a Bariatric Surgeon about getting a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, but here, that takes years. (I can't complain too much, because it's covered by medicare) In the meantime, I can't, can't, can't keep gaining weight!!
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking along these same lines today!! I was born heavy into a very heavy family who all turn to food for comfort. What has saved me is the man that I married. He helped get me moving. I remember one of the first hikes that we were on, and he told me that I could do anything that I set my mind to and that I needed to stop thinking that I couldn't. He told me that he would love me no matter what, but he wouldn't be enabling me to continue to slowing kill myself.

I have lost 65 pounds on Weight Watchers. I have ran five half marathons. I can DO IT and so can you!!

I still have 40 more pounds to lose, just 20 more until I am no longer obese according to my bmi.

You are here, so that is a step in the right direction!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks now and I've made a firm decision about changing my lifestyle. One of my mental roadblocks is the fact that I have quite literally always been obese. In Kindergarten I was 4ft 3 and 100lbs. My senior year of high school 280lbs at 5ft 10. I recently turned 30 and knew something had to be done. But my one mental roadblock is this obese life is all I've ever known. It's all I've ever been. I've never met anyone who has consistently been obese that has also turned their life around. I've lost nearly 7lbs in the last 2 weeks. I hope that's a good indication that things can change.

Thanks for listening. :D

Raising my hand too. My story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout Don't give up. I almost did and I'm glad I didn't.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are whatever you want to be in life. If you don't want to obese anymore, than you wont be. Don't mentally set yourself up for failure. I've always been obese, and I still am, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question. However, I can say I'm down 120 pounds over the last few years and I intend to keep going or die trying :smile:
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yup. 75lbs at 3 years old and just got bigger and bigger. Welcome to MFP!
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i've always been obese or overweight. i have no idea how much i really want to lose, because i have no idea what i'll look like at 120, 130 or 140. i've always done crash diets and gained more weight back than i'd lost in the first place. it's taken me a couple of tries with MFP over the past few months, but i started with a goal of losing 100 pounds and i've hit my stride with this and gotten 1/5th of the way. i'm excited to lose weight, but i'm also nervous about ever being able to see myself as anything but obese.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Genetics don't define you. They are only a predisposition that can be managed. Just watch out for bad eating habits and work on those. Eating healthful, balanced, portioned meals will give you much better self control. You have to be very stubborn about what's good for you and stick with it. You can get there! There is no rush as long as you are going in the right direction.
  • TashiaMH
    TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Very motivating responses!
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    I was quite skinny until puberty, ended up around 224lbs at 16, I was doing weights but also over eating and it has gone up since to a max of around 300. There is a pre-disposition there with family history but I know I didnt help it :) I think a slow road but with permanent lifestyle changes is always the better way forward.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    *Raises hand too* Yep, in the same boat! I was a chubby baby when I was born, and raised in a family that had a very sedentary lifestyle. I've been dating someone for over a year that comes from the complete opposite family life that I do, and it's been challenging. But I'm trying to change and drop the weight so I can be healthier and happier. Food has always been a comfort in my family, and it's a very difficult habit to break, especially if you've never known anything different. I've always been the bigger girl, regardless of how old I was. Now, I do have a larger frame, and I know I'll never weigh 125lbs. And I'm completely fine with that. But I do know that I need to drop at least 75-100 lbs. It's hard, and hard to change your habits. But with enough faith in yourself and support, it can be done. I sent you a friend request :) Wishing you the best of luck!!!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yup, I had been obese since the age of three.
    I'm in the healthy weight category now though, since early this year I think. If I can do it (mostly with no information and resources) then anyone can. It's all about changing your lifestyle for the better. Just don't see it as punishment or "a" diet.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you in doing the best thing you can do for YOU! Getting inside your head (yourself) is what it takes to begin this life of healthy and fabulousness :D learning how you got to where you did and removing those and putting in good things that are going to get you to the goal you have set for yourself. You can do this; take it day by day and girlfriend, its gonna be yours!!
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

Part of who you are is being the "big girl", I struggle with who I'll be if I'm not the big girl, but I've realized I don't need to worry about it, it will happen as it does and deal with it from there.

My goal is currently 199, because I have no idea what "normal" would look like for me, I'm sure 150 pounds would be healthier, but I'll get to 199 and re-evaluate from there.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I was always the bulky girl in life. I found junk food at eight years old and went crazy. I got my life in order once in high school, but never learned how to eat properly, so I gained it all back and then some. I found this website at 224 in serious health duress about to become a pre diabetic. Take it from someone who has been there and has won the battle, it's worth it. You feel so much better about yourself. The best birthday gift I have ever gotten was the scale telling me my BMI was under 30, meaning I wasn't obese anymore. I'm healthy now. You'll have hard days where you fail, but you always have to pick yourself up and remind yourself, change doesn't happened in a day. I look at myself in the mirror in my new smaller sized clothes and I can't get over I that I look the way I do. It's worth it!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I was always a skinny kid, starting gaining weight at age 10 and by grade 8 was 200 pounds. Over the next 10 years gained another 100+ pounds. Have never been thin or healthy as a teen or as an adult, It does make it seem more intimidating, but also exciting. We get to discover our bodies all over again.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hiya, I read your post and want you to know that you are so very far from being alone. My story mirrors yours so much it's scary. I was over 500 lbs 13 mos ago. I went on a major diet and in 11 mos I lost 110 lbs. I then had RNY Gastric bypass because I, unlike you, had so very much weight to lose. I have lost 50 more lbs in just barely over 8 weeks. It has been a godsend for me.

7 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome...especially since they say to lose like 1.5 lbs in a week at most...It CAN be done as you are now doing it, and if there is any way I can help you or add encouragement, please feel free to contact me. Any effort is a positive effort and what you have done so far is amazing...Keep up the good work, and you won't be sorry. I'm not. Every single thing I have been through is worth it right now, to weigh 160 lbs less than I did a year ago. Hang in there, YOU CAN DO THIS...and don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

Your new friend (if ya want) Janine Alfke

janinealfke is my name here...feel free to friend me if you like. Have an amazing weekend!!!