How do you run?

Options

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way; turn.
  • Sibby123
    Options
    Can I suggest treadmill, uphill, speed walking and gradually work up to a gentle jogging pace.

It worked wonders for me.

Thank you
  • Sibby123
    Options

What?
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started building my cardio on the elliptical machine when I was heavier... As I lost weight and added endurance, I was able to transition into running pretty smoothly.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Reference from the movie "Better off dead".
  • camicat1975
    camicat1975 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I try to run outdoors especially in cooler weather I have a hard time keeping a steady pace and going more then 30 minutes. My ankles and hips start to hurt and I get painfully short of breath. But if I run on the treadmill indoors I can go much longer and steadier with no pain. Not sure why this is exactly but it works for me.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For the first year I did nothing but walking.... started with 1 mile walks at a really low pace and then build up from there... 18 months later I can run 5k.... it ain't easy but walking is the way to go... don't rush it just keep going at it
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I jog and can't say that I run, but hopefully one day I will be a runner :) Takes time to build up your cardiovascular system.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

What?
    http://youtu.be/lEHZJNQ5Y4A

sorry :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    C25K my friend. Go to the coolrunnings.com website for it, has it laid out nice in a 9 week schedule. Follow it more or less exactly. Do less if you have to but don't try to gung-ho it and do more or you might burn out early.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Try the Jeff Galloway method and start with a low mileage (or time) and move up as you gain cardio. Your cardio is just not there yet...you have to build it. Your chest is burning because you are BREATHING ...your lungs aren't used to it....they will become accustomed, but take it slow.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

BTW -- if you aren't ready to run yet...you can do the C25K and walk faster for the "run" segments and build up to it...no where does it say you have to "run"
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I can't even run for a minute tho I jus feel like a failure you know what I mean? :(

When I started running in February 2011 I could not run for more than 15 second intervals...so I did a variation on C25k and it took me a bit longer than the "official" program...but I just completed my 3rd half marathon last month.

Running's not for everyone, but it's worth another try. If you try Couch to 5k again, keep in mind that you can adjust the intervals to meet your own needs. Good luck!
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Don't give up on the couch to 5k. Run as slow as you need to to get it done. Jog no faster than you walk if you have to. It's not a race. Also, if you have to repeat a week 2 or 3 times to work into it then do that. If week 1 takes you a month you will still be a week ahead of EVERYBODY who has not yet begun. Lastly, if you continue to feel pain in your chest when you try to run, even going as slow as you can then it would be a good idea to go to your doctor for a check-up and explain to him/her what you are experiencing. Good luck to you.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Everyone will progress at different rates. I started out running 1 minute, walking 3. It took me 6 months to run a 5k without walking part of it.

I finished a half marathon a little while ago in 2:01 (not a race, just today's run). I did the same thing last weekend (although a little slower).

Stick at it, you'll get there. Take it easy, though; I can tell you from personal experience that injuries suck. Although the physical therapy that I did to recover was invaluable - changed everything having proper knee, leg and ankle strength.

Cross training is good for cardio also. Bike, swim, elliptical, whatever. Getting your heart rate up will help with the breathing.
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am just like you somewhat I hate to run but when I do its rough on me I am 6' 257lbs when I have to run at all I try to hit local track at a high school and run either the straights or curves and walk the other part so either run straight walk curve, run curve walk the straights most tracks are also forgiving as in the local one next to me has a soft track bit spring to it , it is not like solid ground. Do that for a while before you try to run for distance.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Try the Jeff Galloway method and start with a low mileage (or time) and move up as you gain cardio. Your cardio is just not there yet...you have to build it. Your chest is burning because you are BREATHING ...your lungs aren't used to it....they will become accustomed, but take it slow.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

BTW -- if you aren't ready to run yet...you can do the C25K and walk faster for the "run" segments and build up to it...no where does it say you have to "run"

This too :)
  • Sibby123
    Options

What?
    http://youtu.be/lEHZJNQ5Y4A

sorry :)

OOO lol
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I love to run but it hurts so bad in my shins after 2-3miles..it's terrible.
    Cardio's fine that's the worst..I could go way longer
  • Sibby123
    Options
    Thanks every one :D
  • Sibby123
    Options
    Hey just an update, weirdly.. I went to the gym today for an induction, got on the treadmill and ended up doing 1minute walking 1 minute running, did 5mins of running all together, I'm feeling really chuffed!