wanna fitbit! Are they worth it?

Options
Everyone seems to have fitbit... so I looked at fitbit ultra. ME WANT! But are they actually any good? is the data it gives you reliable? The sleep thing really interests me.

Replies

• Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I never leave home without it. It's all I use. I don't have to log anything, because my main source of exercise is walking and weights. I LOVE it.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I really like mine and it was the sleep feature the interested me the most. I find it very interesting to see how badly I sleep. I never sleep more than 2 hours in a row. I wake up often in the night. Anyhow it give me the info to see how I can tweak things and sleep better. I notice I had a sweet spot from 2 to 4 where I am always a sleep. Don't know what to think of that, but find it interesting.

I also like to look at my activity during the day and try and be more active. Everything I like to do is sedentary, knit, crochet etc. Gets up up and moving.
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had one and they provide motivation. I want my flower to grow!
    One charge lasts about 2 weeks and wireless. Syncing.is good.
    Links directly to MFP, if you add exercises. You need to be accurate with timing, otherwise. It "double dips".
    Only criticism is the bracket/belt clip breaks easily and they are easily lost!
    I have not been able to find mine for a few weeks and is expensive to replace.

I am using a pedometer in its place.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had one and they provide motivation. I want my flower to grow!
    One charge lasts about 2 weeks and wireless. Syncing.is good.
    Links directly to MFP, if you add exercises. You need to be accurate with timing, otherwise. It "double dips".
    Only criticism is the bracket/belt clip breaks easily and they are easily lost!
    I have not been able to find mine for a few weeks and is expensive to replace.

I am using a pedometer in its place.

Right there, is the advantage to being a woman! lol It slides straight onto the bra, no belt clip required!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I got one free:happy: Workplace Wellness Initiative. I love it so far, I was a little nervous about linking it to MFP, but so far I like the results. 3lbs the first week wearing it:bigsmile: I left it at home tonight, (I was running behind) and I feel naked, now I don't know my steps. It helps motivate me to keep moving so I think it's worth it. I think it is probably worth full price, but do a google search for coupon codes, maybe you would get lucky and find a discount.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    LOVE mine! I too feel naked and 'deprived' if I forget it ( thats usually when Im changing clothes and accidentally forget to trandfer it) i always clip it to the center of my bra ratger than using the flimsy clip. Im shocked at how littl sleep I actually get:( but I love seeing my activity numbers grow and it definitely motivates you to move more, especially the 'climbing' lol. Love that to see how high Ive climbed (when were on a hiking trip itsway cool to see that Ive climbed as high as the Hoover Dam or whatever lol)
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I do a lot of strength training workouts during which I don't actually move much. Obviously the fitbit wouldn't be able to actually gauge the correct amount of calories burned from this, would it? So how would that work, would I be able to add the exercise onto MFP like normal and then the calories would work themselves out somehow? A bit confusing how it all works.
  • apatheticLog
    apatheticLog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i have the bodymedia, but theyre all very good tools to have. definitely shows you where you need to amp up your physical activity. A+ for all of these body tools.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fizzletto, you would have to manually log your strength training. I've had FitBit since 2/1/12. I lost more weight faster (almost too fast, really) using FitBit/MFP combo than MFP alone. My hubsand lost a ton of weight as well. The two together really work for us. FitBit has great customer service, too. When I drowned mine by accidentally flipping it off my waistband into the john, they replaced it even though it was my fault.

Trick is to figure out what you're logging where. I log all food on MFP and all activity on FitBit. I use a Garmin for runs and bike riding, so I enter the data from the Garmin into FitBit and it crosses over to MFP for caloric burn. I let FitBit figure the calories; it gets very close to what Garmin gives me with a HRM strap.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup love mine and wear it daily. I do strength training and NO it doesnt work well for that. But I just eat back everything else it synchs (maintance) and have had no problem maintaining =)
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It is according to how competitive you are. My husband and I got them for our wedding anniversary and they have changed our lives. There is something about seeing that I have gone .49 miles in a day when my goal is 5 miles. We also are in competition with each other and try to out step each other every day.

I absolutely love mine and have actually changed clothes and have gone somewhere and realized I forgot it and turned around and went back home to get it.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you mainly walk or run outside, then yes. If you do other stuff or work out indoors, you're better off with a HRM.
    I walk and run and that's pretty much all my exercise, I love my fitbit.
    For a good example, here's my stats. I keep everything public.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/236FKH
  • coloradomt
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday. Amazon has them now for $79.95, which is $20 less than I had seen them anywhere else (the Ultra), and the Zip is only $59, I think, but it runs on batteries and I read some reviews that said the battery compartment broke rather easily, so ... not sure about that. Anyway, I used to use the Bodybugg and it was a great motivator, so I am hoping this will be too! I have a long way to go, so anything that can push me and keep me motivated is a good thing. :-)
  • kimharper13
    Options
    I think it is worth every penny. It is such a great self motivator, you want to see the steps increase, the miles increase, the floors increase but most of all I want to see the flower grow.....it keeps me moving. I never leave home without mine clipped to my bra. :wink:
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend, who is very supportive of my diet and exercise efforts, treats my FitBit like his personal pinball machine counter. When we play tennis (he's great, I suck), he purposely returns the ball to make me take the maximum number of steps; keeps me bouncing back and forth all over my side of the court. If he doesn't make me hit over 7K steps during three sets, he feels like he failed. :-)
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    i have a fitbit ultra, i love it. I also have a FT60 HRM that I use for workouts.

Love the fitbit though for general step counting and stuff.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Love it - did not realize how little I was moving. If you have a smartphone I would check into either the Zip or One as they sync directly to your phone. The Ultra you need to sync through your computer. I am definitely upgrading to the One after the holidays.