Here. You need this more than I do.

Options
Those of you who are on my friends list know that even though I have lost 53 pounds in 2 1/2 months, I had a bit of an eating challenge this morning. It culminated in me writing the following update about 3 hours ago:

"Lesson learned. I was feeling good about my accomplishments over the past 3 or so months. So I played around with a BMI calculator. Turns out, I need to lose 198 more pounds JUST TO GET OUT OF THE OBESE CATEGORY. That news would have destroyed old Scott. New Scott is going to throw on his walking shoes and burn this combination of anger, frustration and sadness."

Shortly after writing that update, I headed out to walk without Mrs.TFT for only the second time since early August. I needed some time to think things through in solitude. The first two miles of my walk were uneventful. Then, something happened as I headed down the Renwick Drive straightaway. About two blocks in front of me-- through my sweat streaked eyeglasses-- I noticed an older woman in a straw hat pushing what looked like a little dog in a wheelie cart in front of her. The woman was holding what looked like the other end of a leash connected to her dog. I was curious why the dog was in a cart, so I sped up my pace to catch up with her. After two blocks of my quickened pace, I realized that I hadn't made up any ground at all. This "old bird" was matching me stride for stride.

Finally, as I was about to make the turn onto Braesvalley Drive, the older lady stopped walking and appeared to bend down and pet the dog. This was my chance to catch up to her and see what was going on. I started walking even faster, sweat streaming down my forehead and splashing against my now saturated shirt in the warm, muggy and still Houston morning. As I caught up to the older woman, I realized that the "dog" in her cart wasn't a dog at all. It was an oxygen machine. The "leash" was an oxygen line connected to a clear plastic mask over her nose and mouth. Even with supplemental oxygen, this lady-- at least 20 years my senior-- was walking as fast as me, or faster.

As I caught up to her, she turned to look at me. I said, "good morning." She said, "good morning." We looked at each other for a moment. The older lady obviously saw that I was breathing hard and sweating up a storm. She moved the oxygen mask away from her face, gestured toward me with it, smiled, and said, "it looks like you need this more than I do." I laughed, politely declined her generous offer, and wished her a great rest of her Sunday.

As I continued down Braesvalley Drive to Chez TFT, I realized that whatever "crisis" I faced earlier that morning, a lot of other people are facing far more serious challenges in their own lives with poise, dignity and grace. It was a good reminder that while I am truly fighting for my life and health, I have the capacity to "cure myself" simply by eating less. Other people are not quite as fortunate. Today is suddenly feeling much brighter.

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post! So inspiring..can u get that lady to join mfp ? :D
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for Sharing!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    May your miles forever be shortened by this memory, a lift put into your step, and you forever wiser.

Awesome.story.

Proud to have you on my support team.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Great story thank you!

The little old ladies at the guy with their oxygen tanks lifting weights(and I mean free weights) I see at the gym from time to time are just awesome.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Beautiful story. Life is all about perspective, and you clearly have a bright outlook for your future.

And I must say, I love when you have little moments that force you to push yourself just a little harder, like you increasing your pace to catch up to the lady. I remember early in my weight-loss journey, I went out for a long walk. I had planned a route that I think was just a few miles. I remember I got to the point where I was supposed to turn right and head home but up ahead of me was a huge hill. I realized, tired as I may be, I had to go up that hill. I huffed and puffed my way up it, and what did I find when I got to the top? Just a little ways ahead was yet another hill. Either I had to turn back or keep going. I kept going. I ended up on the top of a hill that overlooks the city both north and south of it. The smog didn't make it the most beautiful sight, but I realized at that moment that nothing could stop me, and nothing has. Those little moments are precious.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Weird! I've heard this story before. I guess a lot of people are meeting up with this little old lady.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Weird! I've heard this story before. I guess a lot of people are meeting up with this little old lady.

Wow... I guess that from now on, I should bring the notary public from my office when I walk. That way, if something like this happens again, I can take a sworn statement from the other person to verify that it happened. Thanks for your comment.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    This is beautiful.

Thank you for reminding me of this.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great story, great perspective.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great wake up call!! :smile:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Great share, thank you!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wow... I'm not going to lie, I teared up a little reading this.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    wonderful story!

whether its an old lady pushing around an oxygen tank, or someone with another challenge, it never hurts to look at others and consider what THEY may be going through.

thanks for sharing.
  • lonestarsanta2003
    Options
    you know reading this reminded me of a story of my own...not quite so cheerful but none the less..it makes you think about what we have in this world that others do not and it makes you proud and thankful and suddenly what your facing doesn't seem all that bad
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Very insightful and motivating. Congrats on your accomplishments thus far and best of luck on your journey. You're doing a fabulous job and are in the right frame of mind.
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    oh!!!

this is an absolutely lovely story. it really does bring quite a few things into perspective for me. thank you for sharing this.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great share! I truly needed this today. Wish I had been with you seeing the elderly woman! what an awesome motivator.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Standing ovation.

Don't worry about the naysayer. Some folks have great attitudes. Some don't.