Phew, this is gonna be a lot of work!

Options
Hi! I'm pretty new to MFP. Been tracking calories for about 2 weeks now and was surprised that I've already lost 1 pound without much exercise. I'm currently at 218 lbs and a size 18. My target weight is 146. That's 72 lbs to lose. At 2 lbs a week, I think I can reach my goal in about 9 months.

I'm tired of being overweight, having no energy and struggling to find clothes that fit. My daughter weighs 50 lbs and I'm struggling to lift her in and out of her carseat everyday. My goal for this time next year is to be able to run in our local autism 5k. (My daughter has autism.) I also would like to be able to shop in a normal store without having to shop the plus section online.

I have a few things working against me. I'm bipolar and on several meds that make me hungry all the time. My daughter has special needs and has doctors and therapy appointments everyday. I don't really know how to cook healthy foods. But I've been reading everyone else's success stories and I think to myself, "If they can do it, then I can do it too."

So no more excuses. It's time to get to work. I've already started to watch what I eat and tomorrow I have an appointment with a fit coach at the gym to get me started on a good workout plan. My friends and family are behind me and that helps a lot. It also helps having a community like this. I'm so glad I found MFP!

Replies

• goingmad
    Options
    Hi, good luck with your journey, I've also got quite a lot to lose so it'll be good to have someone else to support along the way.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 1 lb a week.

There will be weeks you don't lose while staying within goal, or gain while staying within goal or drop 3 lbs even when you are eating more than allowed. It's not exactly 2 lbs a week even if you're set up that way so don't get discouraged.

I've been at this for 8 months and even though I took a few months off I've lost 35lbs. After 8 months I sure would have hoped for at least 75 lbs.

I've had a few set backs but as long as I don't quit trying, I'm not failing.

Good luck in your journey

=)
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You've taken the first step and it sounds like you have a plan in place despite a busy schedule at home. It's nice to hear you have your family's support. I've been up and down since joining, but continue to learn from the wonderful people you can meet on here. Beware of forums - some people can be very critical, and try to find a small group of friends that will encourage and motivate you along the way. Adding too many friends can be overwhelming and detrimental to your goals.

Reach out anytime!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    IT WON'T BE EASY BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • jerriwehmeyer
    jerriwehmeyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just stay with it and don't beat yourself up if you slip. I've lost about 25 lbs since July. The main thing is to keep up with your recording in the system. If you eat your meals and low calorie snacks (about 2-3 a day) then you won't get as hungry. Stay away from excessive sugar like cokes and sweet teas. Be very careful with Diet drinks because they make you think you're getting something sweet and so you can't break that habit. I'm a high school asst. principal so I work a lot with kids. Try to let your daughter be part of this process and give her some choices. For example, ask her if she would rather have an apple or a peach for a snack. The internet is full of good low calorie recipes. And, always remember, you didn't get overweight overnight so it's not coming off overnight either. I'll remember you in prayer and may God bless your endeavor.
  • jlau13
    jlau13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is truly a journey!!! I have been watching what I eat for the last year and lost 30 (and toned!!) lbs! anyone can do whatever they set their mind to!! Use the individuals on this site as resources to help you on your way, everyone here has struggled, fell down and got back up! Cooking healthy is easy! you CAN and WILL do this!! Anyone can add me for support, in which I hope they will give in return!
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I checked out this website years ago but never used it. I have decided as well that I need a change. Good Luck on your journey!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    You will be much better able to handle your disorder and your stresses when you get your eating and exercise under control. A healthy diet and moderate exercise do wonders for stress, anxiety, depression, and I would imagine bipolar. I know there are Groups here who deal with your specific issues, too, if you got to Groups and search.

You're on the road to recovery! Good luck http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Welcome, welcome, welcome! Yes, you can do this! You do have things that will make it a little more difficult, especially the meds for Bipolar - everyone gains weight on those! We pretty much all have something that works against us - time, stress, total inability to cook (that would be me!), but we eventually figure out how to make it work. You've found the right place. Feel free to add me for support & encouragement. :smile:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Don't get too wrapped up in numbers... if you go down 2 oz vs 2 lbs in a week, its still a loss. And hopefully you are eating healthier so that has a lot of benefits besides losing weight. It can be a long hard journey so be flexible, recognize all of your successes and just never give up, because that is when you truly fail.

Good luck!
  • provemwrong
    Options
    Yes, I understand. I just signed up and I feel the same way,I am trying tom stay positive an can see that I definately need support. Im not sure how this works but we could be support for each other. Remember we are not alone on this
    get healthy journey!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I've had a few set backs but as long as I don't quit trying, I'm not failing.

Good luck in your journey

=)

Your post was a GREAT reminder. I'm in one of those slumps now.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    You have amazing goals!! So my advice: when you get into those down moments (which you will), come back to this page. Read your goals again.....look at your little girl.....and know that is your motivation! Also, check out the recipes forum. Go to the View All in the message boards.....scroll down and find the recipes category. SOOOO many people there to share what they eat. That will give you a ton of healthy ideas. Way to go!
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    It's good that you are going to consult with a fitness coach. This will help you a lot. I am seeing a health coach and she has made this whole process of losing weight easier. She's had me set a goal every week. and it's helped me to stop thinking that all of this is overwhelming. I used to absolutely hate to exercise and now, I look forward to it.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking control of YOUR life.... you really can do this... it's just a matter of sticking with it... no more excuses... and getting it done... it really doesn't take that long before you will see some awesome results and you're gonna love the new you!

NOW HAPPY DANCE YOUR *kitten* OFF.... !

:flowerforyou:
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm also glad you found MFP. It sounds like you are off to a good start. And, it always helps to have the support of your family. Congratulations on the 1 pound already; and good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    It is work but remember slow and steady wins the race.

As for the cooking part.....I purchased some new cookbooks that are full of heathly recipes. Plus online there are tons of sites to get new recipes from and when in doubt give a shout out in a forum and it's amazing how many people are willing to share their favorites.

I can honestly say that without my friends and MFP'ers in general, I would not be the woman I am today! Or should I say half the woman I was? :bigsmile:

You can do this, no problem!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It will be a change but it will be worth it like others have said. It used to be work but now it is second nature.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

If you fall, get back up, if you wanna quit, dont. Just keep going and eventually you will be were you want to be. Will it be 9 months from now? Maybe, maybe not but I promise you that 9 months from now your life will be so different you will not be able to remember how hard it was at first.

Please feel free to check out my facebook cooking page. I have lots of ideas and tips to replace our high fat and calorie meals and ingredients with ones that are better for us. I love food and there is no way that I could have done this eating "diet" food.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet

Welcome to your new life. :flowerforyou:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing your progress and success story!
  • airangel55
    airangel55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Three things I learned. Do anything for 30 days and it becomes a habit.
    Cooking meals in bulk allows you to portion out by container and store to eat later...which leads to less diet busting gorging and fast food consumtion.
    And lastly...a stumble is not a fail just another step in the journey.