has anyone out there tried soymilk?

Options
I am trying not to eat so much dairy because I think it may be the culprit of my face breaking out all of the time and i need an alternative to cow's milk. Already tried soy vanilla almondmilk and it is a little too thick for me. Has anyone ever drank soymilk? Is is thick like almondmilk or is it thin like cows milk? What does it taste like? I know it has more protein than almondmilk. Any drinkers out there?

Replies

• LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It has been a long time since I had cows milk. I just do not like it. I do like my soy milk. I do not know how to compare it with almond milk as I have never had that.As I recall cow milk, soy milk is probably comparable with whole milk for consistancy.
  • Dudarfst
    Dudarfst Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I quite like soy milk, it has a slightly nutty taste. I started using it a few years ago as an alternative to cow's milk. I still drink cow's milk most of the time, but alternate occasionally with soy milk. Just have a go and see if you like it!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Imagine paper soaked in water overnight - that's how soy milk tastes like to me. I drink coconut milk instead and haven't have cow's milk in years, although I eat Greek yogurt each day.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Took me a little bit to make the change but I started slow.

Try using vanilla soymilk on cereal or in smoothies
    (love this stuff on milk)
    That helped me a ton....

I know drink unsweetened almond milk or soymilk. I love them both HOWEVER,
    Blue Diamond brand Almond Milk and Soy milk has an additive to make it "creamier" that causes bloating and HORRIBLE gas.
    BEWARE

Silk Soy and Almond is fabulous.

Good luck.
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond or rice milk to soy milk, just because of the fact that a woman's hormones can REALLY be thrown off by too much soy. Mine are slightly imbalanced anyway, so I play it super safe.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond brand Almond Milk and Soy milk has an additive to make it "creamier" that causes bloating and HORRIBLE gas.
    BEWARE

What????!?!! I'm crushed. Love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. :grumble: I should give coconut milk a try - not a big fan of coconut water though. :sick: (Admin should include a barfing smiley)
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    i dont like the taste of soy milk but i make homemade almond milk from time to time.

the only way i like soy milk is for baking! i love cakes and get a lot better and tastier results with soy milk, plus it has less fat
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk!

I've weened myself off of cow's milk a couple of years ago, and I can't go back. It tastes weird to me now.
    Anyway, soy milk is not like almond milk. I personally dislike almond milk, it's too thick and it's too nutty for my taste in milk. Anyway, soy milk is nice and thin, and it's also sort of sweet compared to regular milk, if not bland. If you can't get used to the taste, I suggest vanilla soy milk because it's a tad sweeter without being overbearing.

I drink Silk and 8th Continent brands. They're usually very good, and chocolate soy milk is such a great treat!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk Vanilla Light & I love it. I avoid going anywhere near cows milk after finding out how disgusting & unhealthy it actually is.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk Vanilla Light & I love it. I avoid going anywhere near cows milk after finding out how disgusting & unhealthy it actually is.
    What's wrong with cow milk?
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    BEWARE

What????!?!! I'm crushed. Love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. :grumble: I should give coconut milk a try - not a big fan of coconut water though. :sick: (Admin should include a barfing smiley)

I completely hate coconut water. But I tried coconut milk for my first time the other day, and it's absolutely splendid. Doesn't taste a thing like the water does. It tastes creamy and sweet. Give it a try!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I live a vegan lifestyle, so when I first started I drank soymilk. It is probably the closest alternative to regular dairy milk you can get. I usually cook with soymilk and drink almond milk.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've tried several brands of soy milk and they all seem to be slightly different in taste/texture.

My favorite is natura unsweetened soy milk.

I do like almond milk as well but I use it in my coffee.
  • am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Options
    There's a tonnnnn of discussion about people eating way too much soy, and all of the adverse health effects that come with it. A quick google search on the negative effects of soy will probably have you afraid of eating anything. But I do think there is some validity to it. There's a lot of food propaganda out there though, so really it boils down to what you believe and what makes you feel good or bad when you eat it. I would try rice milk, unsweetened original almond milk and coconut milk. They are relatively cheap at Wal Mart and go on sale frequently.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I like the Alpro Soya light milk x
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    there are a few varieties out there, if you don't like the first brand you buy, try another as everyone has different tastes.

I have found soy milk just a bit more watery than milk, but it was fine on my cereal. The cheese was 'eh
  • shakarock
    shakarock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk :) If it's the thickness that's bothering you, I would try Silk Light Soymilk. 30 less calories, and it's a little thinner.
  • hrouns
    hrouns Posts: 9
    Options
    I LOVE Silk Very Vanilla. It tastes like melted ice cream to me.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cow milk?

Some cultures think it is gross/weird to drink milk. Milk is for babies...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There's a tonnnnn of discussion about people eating way too much soy, and all of the adverse health effects that come with it. A quick google search on the negative effects of soy will probably have you afraid of eating anything. But I do think there is some validity to it. There's a lot of food propaganda out there though, so really it boils down to what you believe and what makes you feel good or bad when you eat it. I would try rice milk, unsweetened original almond milk and coconut milk. They are relatively cheap at Wal Mart and go on sale frequently.

Some of the debate is on the genetically motified soy and whether it is causing the issues and not the organic soy.