What the..???? Off topic!!

Options
I must vent!!!! I am filled with RAGE!!! Please excuse this completely off topic rant!

Okay, so today I was pitching a show to a network (I'm a TV producer). I got the meeting because I produced lots of other outdoor/ adventure programming. I know what I'm doing by this point in my career. Anyway, I got in there and right away I knew it wouldn't go well. The executive was this kinda snotty woman dressed in designer clothes with a HUGE rock on her finger.

She looks me up and down and checks out my ring finger as I launch into my pitch. Another exec in the room mentions that I was the first girl to produce on the boats on Deadliest Catch. She squeals "OH MY GOD?? NO WAY?? That is sooooooo ca-razy!!!! Well did you get a boyfriend out of it??"

????!!!!!

Did I "get a boyfriend out of it?" Hello!!!! This was producing a show on the most dangerous job in the world. I was representin' for all women out there by filming on the boats with a bunch of maniacs. I totally held my own, was nominated for an Emmy, survived a huge storm at sea that killed eight other fishermen and lived to tell the tale!!!!

So I said "uh, no."

She said (pityingly), "ohhhhhhhh. well. too bad! That would have been, like, so hot!"

** sigh **

Soooo inappropriate!!!!

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I must vent!!!! I am filled with RAGE!!! Please excuse this completely off topic rant!

Okay, so today I was pitching a show to a network (I'm a TV producer). I got the meeting because I produced lots of other outdoor/ adventure programming. I know what I'm doing by this point in my career. Anyway, I got in there and right away I knew it wouldn't go well. The executive was this kinda snotty woman dressed in designer clothes with a HUGE rock on her finger.

She looks me up and down and checks out my ring finger as I launch into my pitch. Another exec in the room mentions that I was the first girl to produce on the boats on Deadliest Catch. She squeals "OH MY GOD?? NO WAY?? That is sooooooo ca-razy!!!! Well did you get a boyfriend out of it??"

????!!!!!

Did I "get a boyfriend out of it?" Hello!!!! This was producing a show on the most dangerous job in the world. I was representin' for all women out there by filming on the boats with a bunch of maniacs. I totally held my own, was nominated for an Emmy, survived a huge storm at sea that killed eight other fishermen and lived to tell the tale!!!!

So I said "uh, no."

She said (pityingly), "ohhhhhhhh. well. too bad! That would have been, like, so hot!"

** sigh **

Soooo inappropriate!!!!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Some members of society are so behind the times!!! I choose not to be married, even though I am in a committed relationship with my daughter's father(She's 10). Sometimes I refer to him as my husband just because it's easier than dealing with all the crap questions that come with it. I have people ask me all the time when I tell them I'm not married "Is it because he wants to have his cake and eat it too?" WTH??? I think some people still have the mentality that women have to have a man and if we don't there must be something wrong. I CHOOSE to have a man be part of MY life. I think the women's movement has taken a backslide in the last 10-20 years. My mom told me to make sure I could always support myself without relying on a man.
    For this lady to initiate the conversation with you is completely unprofessional and makes her look like a total dingbat. "That would be so hot"-are you kidding me? We use to joke in college that some girls went to college not to get their BA or BS but to get their MRS-as in Mrs. *Insert Last Name Here*(As in going to find a husband not an education to actually be used).

By reading your post I know you are far too intelligent to let some overaged Paris Hilton wannabe get to you. I feel sorry for her that she doesn't have a clue.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the comments you endure from being on the Baltic Sea like that!

(incert sarcastic tone here:) What you didn't want one of those chain smoking guys?

When I encounter people like that I usually feel so much better about myself, that I am not that small minded. Ya know?

On a side note..... How cool is that?! That you produced the Deadlest Catch? I watch that show and shudder! I was feeling all proud of myself that I camp by myself with my boys, but now I'm feeling a bit whimpy! LOL!:laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I'm proud of you WL, you have accomplished so much that most people could only dream of.

Don't let someone's obvious shallowness bring you down.

It's obvious that you know that you aren't defined in the way she felt you *should* be. Of course, many times it helps to just take a step back and consider the source. :wink:

-J
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Would she have wanted one of those men for a boyfriend...I think not. That is so cool that you get to travel all over the world AND get paid for it! How great is that!

Sorry this is off your topic, but my husband wants to know if Mike Rowe is really as cool as he seems on TV or if he is a jerk? How about Les Stroud?
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow...you know I can not believe that an executive would act like that in a meeting. She really has alot to learn about class. You on the other hand are a facinating young woman who has her head on straight. you have every reason to feel disgusted tonight since you have to deal with that kind of ignorance while trying to be professional. i would have to say, have a good laugh at her. Humans never cease to amaze me lately.

:wink:
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    wow. . . how freaking unprofessional!:grumble:

sorry you had to go through that!:smile:
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for the exec. :grumble: Her need to compare herself to another is indicative of a low self esteem. Since things did not go well in the meeting due to her belittling insecurities---consider yourself lucky. A full time gig with her would be worst than a ride on the deadliest catch boat. :explode:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    EEEEEEEEK!!!! :explode: That makes me want to scream, can you tell??

It kind of sounds like that woman was intimidated by your accomplishments and tried to find some way to lord it over you. How small-minded is that for her to downplay your accomplishments by suggesting that finding a man is more important than the great things you did?!

I totally agree w/mkeithley - "I think the women's movement has taken a backslide in the last 10-20 years." It is up to us to be the change we want to see in the world. Here's to you fellow independent sisters for not needing a man to define who you are as a person! :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    That's pretty sad. As if your only goal in working on such an exciting and dangerous show was to land a man? PUH-LEASE! You have accomplished so much. Clearly she doesn't have anything between HER ears, or has spent her life suppressing it for the purposes of playing a role.

This is probably really crass, but what do you want to bet she finds herself divorced 10 years down the line because she never bothered to figure out what was truly important in life??? :huh:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww you guys are so awesome! Your kind words have truly made me feel better. I've been able to laugh about it tonight...and maybe it will eventually become one of those "remember when?" stories. Sitarami hit it on the head <<A full time gig with her would be worst than a ride on the deadliest catch boat. >>

So I guess it's good. Onward and upward!

Oh and Dbuckl, to answer your question, Mike is EXACTLY like you see on TV. He's one of the coolest, funniest, most down to earth people you'd ever be likely to meet. And he has a photographic memory -- he can scan a page of a script or a list of questions and remember them verbatim. He's just a dream to work with (and even better to have a beer with!) Everybody loves him.

I haven't met Les, so I can't comment!
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    I imagine that one day, when Teri Gross is interviewing you on Fresh Air, she'll ask about some of the sexism you've encountered in your profession. What a great story you'll have to tell.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Well, at least you won't have to listen to nitchy country music lyrics like "I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free blabidy bla I'll gladly stand up next to you bla bla bla god bless the USA" or ..."bla blabidy bla bla and they call the thing a rodeo..." or "and the statue of liberty started shaking her fist... bla bla.. feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you... bla... brought to you curtesy of the red white and blue..." a million times this summer. Seriously, you would have gone nuts. (My ears are still bleeding from the time I spent at a country music station). I have to admit, though... rodeos are fun! And country boys are cuuuuuuuute!
    :smooched:
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    Good to know women's lib has gotten us so far.....*sigh*
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    that's when you want to reply:

"uhm, yes, but he fell overboard... I can't talk about it, it's just too painful".

Seriously though, I always find I can think of things to say after the fact but usually in the moment I am so gobsmacked by the person's thoughtlessness that I am blankfaced!

Quelque Vache!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Just to say,

I was star struck when i found out your produced the deadliest catch, I watch it all the time...

Just think of this, you can look back on your accomplishments and think, as other do, wow check me out! what the hell is that suit going to look back on??? lol when she met you i bet lol cos shes done f**k all else!!!

Oh and does this mean you are single? :flowerforyou:

lol

Al
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Sorry you encountered that--I know it hurts to have your personal accomplishments brought to down one person's base level to measure success. I run into sexism almost daily on my job, so I know how you feel.

Keep your chin up! You do fantastic work! Don't allow someone else to define who you are--only you can do that!!

:flowerforyou:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww you guys are so awesome! Your kind words have truly made me feel better. I've been able to laugh about it tonight...and maybe it will eventually become one of those "remember when?" stories. Sitarami hit it on the head <<A full time gig with her would be worst than a ride on the deadliest catch boat. >>

So I guess it's good. Onward and upward!

Oh and Dbuckl, to answer your question, Mike is EXACTLY like you see on TV. He's one of the coolest, funniest, most down to earth people you'd ever be likely to meet. And he has a photographic memory -- he can scan a page of a script or a list of questions and remember them verbatim. He's just a dream to work with (and even better to have a beer with!) Everybody loves him.

I haven't met Les, so I can't comment!

I am talking to the producer of "Deadliest Catches" the only TV show that I make time for these days. I not Worthy, I'm not worthy...Awesome show. Thanks for the insight on Mike Rowe he is my SmartA@# idol.

By the way, I have worked with some wealthy and influential people through the years and have learned I do not want to be like them. That person is a prime example.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    How rude!!
    How did your pitch go for the next show?
    Don't worry about it, she's just jealous that you're beautiful and have a way cooler job than her!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that is so inappropriate!
    Did she at least listen to your pitch for the other show?

I love the deadliest catch- we live in a small fishing community, that's my dad's fave show! lol
    Good job!:smile: