Does anyone else eat raw veggies plain?

Options
Lately I've gotten into the habit of eating raw veggies like spinach, romaine or shredded carrot by themselves or on the side of a meal.

For example I'll have a grilled chicken sandwich and a cup of plain raw baby spinach leaves. & I'll stuff as much of the spinach into the sandwich as possible, then I'll just eat the rest of the spinach little by little between bites of the sandwich. I've found that doing this really helps increase my fullness with VERY little caloric sacrifice (10 calories for a cup of baby spinach leaves!) and the flavor of the chicken (or whatever my main course is) easily balances with the blandness of the plain veggie. In fact I've kind of grown to enjoy how fresh some veggies taste by themselves.

I just wanted to share this because I know a lot of people feel like if they eat vegetables it HAS to be dipped in ranch or have shredded cheese on top or boiled with butter or something. But I encourage you guys to try to simply eat them plain sometimes to accompany your main course, and see if you like it. You can get the nutritional benefit of the veggie but save a LOT of calories, 'cause usually those dips & cheeses have more calories than the veggies themselves.

Replies

• MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been known to eat my swiss chard in the car, right out of the bag when leaving the CSA! If the veggies are fresh it's no problem at all and quite tastey!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my veggies plain. Every once in a while I will dip them in hummus.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    All the time!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes, but some times I use lemon juice on celery and other greens like lettuce. I use pepper on cucumbers and occasionally i use hummus on carrots. But plain is fine too.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    oh man! If it is veggies, I will eat them. Preferably plain.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i don't like ranch very much.. the only time i'll get it is when i have cheese fries from a diner in my hometown (which is a veryyyy rare occasion for me, thank goodness. those fries are dripping with grease and soaked in that awesome nacho "cheese" - cheese that's not really cheese but tastes amazing. heart attack on a plate, pretty much.)

i feel inclined to have anything on my raw veggies, i'll sprinkle a little vinegar for extra zing. but that's it. i actually enjoy the taste of veggies by themselves.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers are the BEST just sliced and eaten raw with no dips. YUM!!!
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I love my veggies raw....

especially when I make salads. I don't even use dressing. If I use a lot of spinach, especially of the bitterness. I will just put some pepper and squeeze some lemon juice. That dilutes it.

I have a problem using dressing. If I am going to pour gobs of dressing over my salad, based on the fat and calories, I might as well have a nice juicy hamburger. Some people will go for the lite dressing or fat free but what makes up for the calories and fat is the sodium that is in those dressings.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would. Unfortunately they taste like I'm being poisoned.
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    Bell peppers are the BEST just sliced and eaten raw with no dips. YUM!!!

this^^ I also like cauliflower, cucumbers and carrots just plain too!!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Plain is lovely, especially carrot.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of plain, raw veg. It's delicious!

Tomatoes + a few basil leaves from my garden is my favorite snack.

I munch on carrots, cucumbers, and peppers too.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat raw veggies plain. Even salads. =)
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big on vegetables, but I mostly don't like gooey sauces and dips and such, so when I do eat them, it's usually plain. I love eating spinach and other greens with my fingers, like potato chips! If they didn't go bad so quickly I'd happily have a bowl of 'em to snack on next to me while watching TV or surfing online. :-)
  • sonyashine
    sonyashine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I notmally eat my plain or with hummus or even greek yogurt..yum. I reallly like the idea of haveing spinach as a side, as normally I'm not in the mood for a salad
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The veggies I love to eat plain are red bell peppers, grape or cherry tomatoes, zucchini, bibb lettuce, endive, and cauliflower. :happy: Great topic!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Every single day ....... almost every meal :drinker:
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    Does carrots and celery count?
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would. Unfortunately they taste like I'm being poisoned.
    LOL! you sound like my brother :laugh:
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I buy my fruits and veggies almost everyday. To make sure they stay fresh.