I went to an amusement park last night

Options
Hello All -

My name is Michelle. I am 23 years old and married to the most amazing man. I have a wonderful 4 year old son.

Yesterday, after a month of planning, my husband and I had a date! Areal date - jeez it's been months. So we headed out to Cedar Point. I was so excited, I hadn't been in 10 years and needed to get my fun on.

After getting there, we rode my favorite ride - Power Tower! So much fun!

Then my husband asked to ride the Mantis. We walked over there, and there was a tester seat in front. I really didn't want to go in front of hundreds of people to try Tue tester seat - but I did and the buckle didn't.

Mortified, I fought back tears and insisted my husband ride it anyways. He refused. Next up - The Gemini - again, there was no way I was going to fit.

At that point - I gave up on roller coasters. We headed to the Haunted Houses. But it was no use - the day was ruined. My husband tried really hard not to show his disappointment but I could tell. I was mortified, embarrassed and just wanted to go home.

Even worse yet - we bought season passes for next year already.

But the worst of it was that my husband apologized to me. You see for the past 6 months I have been begging my husband to please help me. But when he goes to the store, he'll bring me back big Mac's Reese cups, milk shakes etc. Even though I insisted I did not want anything.

He'd whine if I told him I was going for a walk after my son was in bed because " I want to spend time with you"

Finally I gave up trying. What is the point if your own spouse isn't supportive?

I think he saw last night just how much my weight hinders me - and how badly I need his help.

He is naturally thin - so he doesn't realize how hard I will have to work to lose the weight -

But here goes. I'm done being fat. I am 262 pounds. I want to be 200 by next May - when the park reopens. I have 198 days to do so.
Wish me luck

Replies

• jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It can be hard when those around you don't want to comply with your lifestyle changes. But, you can do it! I can tell you are motivated and you are ready to make a real change. It may take a serious heart to heart with your hubby to get him on board with your goals, but if he loves like I know he does he will find a way to help you!. Feel free to add me for some added motivation an accountability. I love having new buddies :)
  • tlelizondo
    tlelizondo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You can do it! My goal for many years has been to lose enough weight to go on rides with my kids and I know I will finally get there by next May if I don't stop working at it. GOOD LUCK!:smile:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your experience, but glad you made a healthy choice--coming here--as a result and glad that he understands a little better now.

Good luck on your journey!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh, that must have been so hard. I would have felt really bad too!
    Don't get yourself down though, just start making changes. Doesn't matter if you don't change everything exactly perfect, just start making changes NOW. Take this seriously, exercise, watch your calories and you will have success!
    Good luck! FR if you'd like!
  • samarlove
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support! I definitley know how it feels to have a naturally thin husband who can eat whatever he wants lol you can definitely do it. Don't consider it a diet, consider it a lifestyle change. I started really legit using MFP about 60 days ago, I had my account longer than that but I didn't really stick with it until then. Now I see it as a healthy lifestyle change and a daily routine. Sure sometimes we can't always get a good burn in but that doesn't mean we can't control what we put in our mouths. I truly believe that you can do it! So keep your head up! Remember you didn't gain all the weight in one night so be patient and don't focus on the number on the scale. Focus on loser fitting clothing, building muscle tone, etc! Good luck!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so sorry you had a bad day at the amusement park. I am glad to hear that you are on your way to a better life. My boyfriend used to do the same things to me but not anymore. I have decided to do it with or without his help.

Good Luck to you!
  • xMoppie38
    xMoppie38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess your husband really needed that wake up call! I bet, as all men, he didn't even have a clue your weight bothered you that much. But please don't be sad about the rollercoasers, or a ruined day, because now it had inspired you to take the challenge and lose the weight., and that's a great thing right? Good luck to you x
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. My highschool marching band when to cedar point every year and in the past 4 years, every year it was harder and harder to fit in the carts. So i give up going until i know for a fact i can fit. So i don't have to stand and wait while my friends ride without me.
  • chefsx4
    Options
    Welcome Michelle. You've come to a good place with lots of support and good people.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, you've set a very realistic goal and it seems like your husband truly had a "lightbulb" moment. Best of luck to you as you start your journey.
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just by posting this you have the motivation to start. I would love to have you as a friend to help with your journey but also to have a friend to help me with mine. You are not alone, Having your husbands support is helpful and definitely needed but it has to start with you. Have the conversation with him and let him know you need his help. As wonderful of words that you write about him I have no doubt he will be there 100% for you!
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    I too have experienced this exactly mortification. Only I started alot bigger then you (285). I have been exercizing since January, and using MFP since July. I have lost a total of 45 lbs, so I am currently 240. I would like to lost 60 more lbs, and then reevaluate at that point. Mt boyfriend is similar to your husband, naturally thin his whole life, he doesn't always understand that I can't eat Pizza for dinner or have icecream alot of nights and that it is a constant stuggle to keep focused on eating well and exercizing regularly. Please feel free to add me and we can support each other.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I can hear your pain. I think you need to NOT brush this off, use this! Make this "your moment that changed your life". Always remember this feeling and no matter how hard this journey is going to be, think back and remember you'll never need that damn tester seat again. Feel free to friend me and we'll support each other. I'm hoping your hubby will be a bit more helpful now. Sometimes it takes an awaking for your spouse too.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Welcome Michelle. You've come to a good place with lots of support and good people.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, you've set a very realistic goal and it seems like your husband truly had a "lightbulb" moment. Best of luck to you as you start your journey.

this.
  • Bunski
    Bunski Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    <3 So sorry you had to go through that awful experience. I haven't been to an amusement park since summer 2007, probably 60-70 lbs ago. One roller coaster I went on, the bar would barely come all the way down. It was definitely snug, and pretty darn embarrassing (I didn't think I was that fat!!!! D: ) . I haven't gone to an amusement park since, even though I would love to go ride roller coasters again.

You can definitely do this! It's great that your husband is on board finally. Having a good support system at home is really important. Sometimes it just takes one big event to make you finally dig in and get serious about losing the weight.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    been there...done that
    If I can do it, you can do it....one day at a time
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I worked out your goal, it's about 2 lbs a week. It will be hard work, but is totally doable, if you're committed! I know you can do it! If I had any advice, it'd be: don't get discouraged by slip up days, I've learned that they will happen to everyone, and when they do, just start over the next day!

I will support and motivate you if you want to add me!
  • andreachirillo
    andreachirillo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I completely relate. I have a story very similar to this. It is what caused me to get control of my life. I just purchased 2013 season tickets that allowed us to enter the park for the rest of 2013 and I am excited to say that this time I was able to ride EVERYTHING. I am so excited about next spring and summer!
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can do it! As you mentioned - it won't be easy - but it will be worth it! Good luck!
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step. Now stick to it. Remember you are capable. And you must maintain dedicated. Good luck!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I understand...to an extent. My boyfriend never really wants me to exercise or wants me to eat healthy because HE doesn't have to and when he works out he can squat like 300lbs on the first day after months of doing nothing. So he doesn't understand that losing weight is a really hard thing for me.

I'm glad that he finally had a light bulb go off, but I'm very sorry that it came at your expense. Make the best of it! 200 days can get you very far if you do it right!

Best of luck to you! :)