Replies

• JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    These sound great!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Bake some sliced up apples sprinkles with cinnamon :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Bake some sliced up apples sprinkles with cinnamon :)

** really good stuffed in toasted pita bread :) nom noms.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Brr! It's cold out all of a sudden, and the last thing I want to eat is a nice, crisp, cold apple. I want warm and comforting foods (like cookies!). So I got to thinking, maybe some of you folks have great ways to make fruit warm and delicious in the winter.

My only ideas so far: Cinnamon apples in the microwave, heated frozen berries with granola over them, and peanut butter toast with sliced bananas on it.

So, anything you do to make fruit awesome during those cold winter months? The less sugar and fat added, the better.

what about using the crock pot to make a nice chunky applesauce? I make applesauce, I leave some little bits of the skin on it, and I cook it to the point where I can stir it with a spoon and get a chunky sauce.If you throw a handful of granola over it, it sorta tastes like apple cobbler.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Pan Fried or baked bananas with a coconut based batter SO good and healthy.

Baked or fried apples with butter and cinnamon

Broiled or grilled Pears

Grape Salad - with cream cheese and brown sugar and pecans.

Oranges slices with warm melted chocolate drizzled on top.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bumping for these great ideas
  • candctaber
    Options
    Yum!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Not a fruit, but if you can find it, red kuri squash (sorta looks like pumpkin, tastes like chestnuts). Cut it in half, sprinkle with pumpkin pie spices, cocoa, brown sugar or a drizzle of honey, a bit of butter, and bake it at 350 for 45m. The skin gets soft and is edible too! It would be a great dessert with some whipped cream, calories allowing :D

Also, I like broiled grapefruits topped with brown sugar.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Calorie King has a nice list of recipes. Each one includes the calorie count too which is nice.

The page can be found here: http://www.calorieking.com/recipes/Desserts/Warm-Desserts/

The site has many more recipes than just desserts so enjoy!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Choco-cherry compote....mmm, I made this a lot last fall, I think its time for it to come back out.

1 Cup of Frozen dark sweet cherries.
    1 Tbs of cornstarch
    1 Tbs cocoa powder
    Sweetener of choice...I like just a bit of stevia but use what works on your eating plan.

Cherries go in a small sauce pan on low/med to thaw, once warm and juices running, mix cornstarch, cocoa powder, sweetener and about 3 tbs of water together to form a slurry. Pour slurry over the cherries and stir well. increase heat to med and let mixture begin to bubble, stir frequently until thickened, this doesn't take long a few minutes. Can be eaten as is, sprinkled with granola, used as an oatmeal or yogurt topping, as a topping for the 3-2-1 cake that shows up on the message bords a lot, the possibilities are endless
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Marking for that apple pie egg roll heaven!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Warming up applesauce in the microwave is soooo good....and warm.

Also (I know you want to avoid sugar but live on the wild side) sliced banana with marshmallow on graham cracker heated up...the bomb dot com.

Warmed berries over waffles (Van's Lite my fav) instead of syrup is soooo good.

Raisins in oatmeal.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me so hungry I can't even stand it.
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Brr! It's cold out all of a sudden, and the last thing I want to eat is a nice, crisp, cold apple. I want warm and comforting foods (like cookies!). So I got to thinking, maybe some of you folks have great ways to make fruit warm and delicious in the winter.

My only ideas so far: Cinnamon apples in the microwave, heated frozen berries with granola over them, and peanut butter toast with sliced bananas on it.

So, anything you do to make fruit awesome during those cold winter months? The less sugar and fat added, the better.

The suggestions you already stated are the only things I can think of. Those cinnamon apples sound really good. Yummmm!! Also, maybe you can dip some strawberries in melted dark chocolate. It's not cold like that. But... just be careful with portions. Dark chocolate is better than regular chocolate, though.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Try Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls!

10907224067880214_0I2OQmn0_c_zps4c7b1b17.jpg

Directions & Ingredients:

2 apples 1 granny smith and 1 gala (about 2 heaping cups worth)
    1 large lemon juiced
    1/3 cup sugar
    4 Tbsp. flour
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. all spice
    1/8 tsp. salt
    16 egg roll wrappers
    1 egg lightly beaten
    . SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM DIP . .
    3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla
    cinnamon to sprinkle on top
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Peel and chop up apples. Add to a medium bowl. Add remaining filling ingredients to bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.

Lay 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface and brush edge with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.

Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper. You do not want to over stuff these.

Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.

Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.

Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, pull out and brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Put back in oven for remaining 5 minutes. Serve immediately with sweetened whipped cream.

TO MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: Place cream in a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer, on medium-high speed. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Add vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form. I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top as well.

We have a BUNCH of apples from apple picking. This should be good....