Wanted: More Protein

Options
Please help! I'ma vegetarian aiming for 100g protein per day, and i'm strugging!

I'm having protein shakes, i'm adding protien powder to meals, i'm eating roasted beans and protein bars as snacks, and i'm trying to incorporate a protein component (like eggs, tofu, dairy, beans) into every meal, but i'm STILL coming up short.

suggestions?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

I'm not a vegetarian but this link (if you scroll down) has a nice list of protein sources for vegetarians and shows you how much protein you'll get from them.

Monica

P.S. I just found this link on super proteins...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4364/7-Vegetarian-Superfoods-for-Protein.html
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Tempeh has about 20g of protein for a typical serving (half a package usually).
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Please help! I'ma vegetarian aiming for 100g protein per day, and i'm strugging!

I'm having protein shakes, i'm adding protien powder to meals, i'm eating roasted beans and protein bars as snacks, and i'm trying to incorporate a protein component (like eggs, tofu, dairy, beans) into every meal, but i'm STILL coming up short.

suggestions?

What about listing the top 5 protein foods and combine those? have main protein food with a side of protein and a protein "dessert"

burrito with refried beans, cheese and ground tofu? that can run you an easy 20+ grams of protein.
    black bean burgers with a slice of cheese and a side of edamame beans

scrambled eggs with cheese and togu sausage <or perhaps a breakfast fritatta, you can add whey protein here>
    chili with ground tifu meat topped with cheddar, and you could probably get away with adding protein whey in the tomatoey sauce.

Good luck, not easy!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    thanks monica, very informative reading :)

sadly, both of your links have reminded me that there's no such thing as a quick fix. there is no miraculous zero calorie source of protein, no matter how handy it would be!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    those are good ideas magj0y, thanks
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    how high is your protein goal, btw? seems like with all the good sources you are already using you should be getting a fair amount.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    One of my favs:

greek yogourt (plain)
    peanut butter
    chia seeds
    flax seeds

for breakfast.
  • kaileyjurk
    Options
    If you like "meatless" alternatives, I really like the Lightlife brand veggie burgers and hot dogs! They have a mushroom burger that is really delicious!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Store bought protein bars tend to be high in refined sugar and other processed items I cannot pronounce. This recipe here worked very well for me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595761-homemade-no-bake-protein-bars?hl=bake+protein+bar+oatmeal+peanut
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Milk and Greek yogurt are good for protein.