Potassium Supplements

Options
I notice several friends take Potassium Supplements and I have been told that it can help counter sodium and water weight. Anyone got any advice on this?

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, lean meats, dairy and you don't need any suppliments...

Potassium gets underreported badly in foods and MFP diaries.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Take too much and it might **** you over.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take potassium supplements unless my doctor told me to after doing blood tests. And then I would be sure to have follow up blood work to monitor it. Some people do need to take a supplement because their body isn't absorbing it correctly. But too much can cause serious damage. If you feel you might be low on potassium, go get a blood test.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Potassium is one you're much better off getting from food. Supplements can make you go over too easily, which can mess with your heart, among other things. Low potassium can be a problem, but diet is the best solution. If it's not a problem, just focus on a very healthy, well-rounded diet.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Take too much and it might **** you over.

Most suppliments really don't give you that much though. It's not like iron which is easy to take too much of from suppliments (never more than 80mg unless under doctor's orders for iron. 100% RDA is 18mg).
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. No, I dont have an issue and I do not take them. Was just curious!!! I am on BP med and I know my Dr told me to get some potassium every day b/c if I don't it can cause me to have cramps.........and I DID have some awful stomach muscle and rib cramps for a few days! lol So, I was just wondering if a supplement would be good! Obviously NOT! I eat plenty of meat and cheese and other things that were listed by one person. Thanks for the info!!