How do you treat yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• tiffanypettyjohn
    Options
    I don't treat myself with food or clothes. Food treats have to fit into the calorie limit. New clothes are a necessity. I color my own hair and do my own nails.

Here's how I think it through...I took on this full-time job because it was something I needed to do. I don't reward myself for getting up and going to work because it is expected, and I don't reward myself for losing weight as it is expected.

The reward for me is losing the weight, finding my new forever size, and really living life to the fullest all day every day. I've been told my thinking is a bit skewed, that my goals are vision statements, and my deadlines are unreasonable. I have to say though, I think I've done my very best to try new things, and deliver great results.

I get this from my father who was a teacher. He told me (I was in the third grade) that being satisfied with an A- when there was a bigger goal of A+ was selling yourself short. He said it's not a great leap or even a giant step from an A- to an A+, so get it done. I've kept my eye on that prize my entire life.
    And I would say you have kept your eye on the prize! 100+ pounds? Wow! Thats great!
  • tiffanypettyjohn
    Options
    do not treat yourself with food, you are not a dog :)
    so..CLOTHES of course hahaha
    or new gym gear or something
    Haha... This is true!
  • lorimor80
    lorimor80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a charm bracelet that I get to add a new charm to each time I reach a mini-goal. I also have a mason jar where I "pay myself" a dollar for each pound lost at each weekly weigh in. Both my husband and my mom have agreed to match me dollar for dollar, so I'll be making $3 from each pound I lose! I'll use that money to buy bigger rewards like clothes, new workout items, etc. Once I reach my final goal, I plan on getting a tattoo. I've wanted one for a long time but I want it to be meaningful, so I think that will be a great time to do it.
  • tiffanypettyjohn
    Options
    I have a charm bracelet that I get to add a new charm to each time I reach a mini-goal. I also have a mason jar where I "pay myself" a dollar for each pound lost at each weekly weigh in. Both my husband and my mom have agreed to match me dollar for dollar, so I'll be making $3 from each pound I lose! I'll use that money to buy bigger rewards like clothes, new workout items, etc. Once I reach my final goal, I plan on getting a tattoo. I've wanted one for a long time but I want it to be meaningful, so I think that will be a great time to do it.
    Awesome rewards! I love the mason jar with money! Good luck! :)
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like the way you break down small, med, large--all good goals, and incrementally is a good plan too! :smile:
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haven't had any mini treats, but my plan is once I get to my goal weight, and can maintain it for a few months, I might splurge on some nice jeans that really enhance just how good my butt looks! And some new tops I'm sure!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I break mine up into smaller goals. And treat myself either with a yummy dinner. Or a new workout video or new running shoes. Sometimes Clothes. Or I'll get my hair cut. anything that motivates me.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    PHOTO SHOOT! Seriously can't wait for the day when I like how I look in a photo that someone else takes of me. I'm a photographer and I know how a good photograph can boost someones self-esteem, especially one that hasn't been photoshopped.

My next NSV I hope is to fit into my engagement dress again, and get a photo shoot done in it.

Love this idea!

^^^^ This is my ultimate goal!! When I reach my goal weight I'm going to try and set it up with a photphragher friend to get some shots! Still have about 15-20 pounds to go... but cant wait to have that tangbible proof that I worked so hard and to have it for me.

And I dont necessarily reward myself with clothes, but i do do need smaller ones every once in while lol. And I do the goal outfits too! My halloween costume is my current goal outfit :smile:
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I try not to reward myself with food. I already have "comfort meals" (I prefer to not call them "cheat") too often. One usually just leads to rationalizing another, and that's not productive.

I buy clothes. I figure that every 15lbs or so is about when clothes that used to fit are just way too big to wear anymore. I'm at that point where a few of my jeans are too big to wear, but I haven't had the money to replace them.
  • MCNWifey
    Options

I love the Mason Jar idea, so cute!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't treat myself with food or clothes. Food treats have to fit into the calorie limit. New clothes are a necessity. I color my own hair and do my own nails.

Here's how I think it through...I took on this full-time job because it was something I needed to do. I don't reward myself for getting up and going to work because it is expected, and I don't reward myself for losing weight as it is expected.

The reward for me is losing the weight, finding my new forever size, and really living life to the fullest all day every day. I've been told my thinking is a bit skewed, that my goals are vision statements, and my deadlines are unreasonable. I have to say though, I think I've done my very best to try new things, and deliver great results.

I get this from my father who was a teacher. He told me (I was in the third grade) that being satisfied with an A- when there was a bigger goal of A+ was selling yourself short. He said it's not a great leap or even a giant step from an A- to an A+, so get it done. I've kept my eye on that prize my entire life.

My fun will be in the frivolous things! Since the calf size has always been a problem, tall, leather, not necessary boots are definitely going to be a reward! :happy: I'm smiling already!
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PHOTO SHOOT! Seriously can't wait for the day when I like how I look in a photo that someone else takes of me. I'm a photographer and I know how a good photograph can boost someones self-esteem, especially one that hasn't been photoshopped.

My next NSV I hope is to fit into my engagement dress again, and get a photo shoot done in it.
    I love the photo shoot idea! I have always wanted to do a sexy shoot for my hubby. I wanna be smokin hot! :blushing:

I never thought of a sexy one! I would definitely have to work up the courage! BTW, I work in Ottawa & Toronto and I'm willing to give a discount to my MFP buddies!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I treat myself with a new PR on deadlift, squat, or bench.

There is nothing in the world that I could buy that satisfies me as much as defying gravity, and wrecking a weight that I once couldn't even get off of the floor.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    1. Nails done
    2. Facial
    3. A massage
    4. New clothes
    5. Earrings/Rings
    6. Hair done
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    Guilt free Thrift Store shopping!!!!! :D
    YES!!!!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I have close to none of the kitchen equipment that helps with cooking healthy. I want a grill, a blender, a food scale, a steamer..etc. So every paycheck I will buy one of those, and that's my reward for now until I need to start buying smaller clothes.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my first ever (and probably only) tattoo when I reach my goal weight. Not that it'll have anything weight-related on it but it's a good incentive!

The other day I got a vegetable steamer though, to help my progress.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Different rewards at various points in the weight loss, Ive listed them on my profile, mainly clothes and spa days etc. I also buy "goal" clothes now too because it shows me how far i still have to go - the ultimate is my holiday next Sept to a 5 star resort in Egypt, will really be the trip of a lifetime and have another 75lbs to lose minimum before then!
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been treating myself to new workout gear. One more step to being a "real" athlete!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a hard day not eating, I'll tell myself I can have some food I really love if I have enough calories left to fit it in. At the end of the day, I might not even want it any more, but it helps me say no to things. Food rewards must fit in my calorie allowance!

Yesterday, I let myself have a Lindt Truffle after discovering I've lost another 4 lbs. It was small and only 76 calories and is one of my favorite treats. The best reward was my boyfriend's reaction when he got my text. He's not concerned at all about me losing weight for appearance...he likes curves...but has been encouraging me to eat healthier along with him for my health.