Is 1600 calories "gonna make me fat"?

Options
My older sister insists 1600 calories is too many to eat for weight loss. I'm trying to lose fat and drop 20 pounds but if I can't get down to 122 - 125 on the scale then *kitten* it. I'd rather weigh 150 pounds and be a fit size 2 then weigh 125 pounds and be an average and soft size 8 like I used to be.

I'm 5'3" and 18 years old and I weigh 145 pounds. My workout is weights for 35 minutes and 20 minutes of light pilates 3x a week and walking at 3.5 mph with 5 pound ankle weights for 45 - 60 minutes 5x a week.

My BMR is about 1400 calories, and my TDEE is about 2100 so I thought 1600, a 500 calorie cut, on the days I exercise, would be good.

Opinions?

Replies

• ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That sounds well-reasoned to me, and is a good number to work from. It's not too many calories for weight loss. Good luck!
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    I'm no expert but that sounds good :) Maybe eat back some exercise cals if you start training a bit more.
    Also, I started at 1200 and now up around 1800. Its a trial and error thing :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Any deficit at all will help you lose weight.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am eating roughly 1500 calories a day with very little exercise and I am losing weight. 1600 with all your exercise should be just fine.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My older sister insists 1600 calories is too many to eat for weight loss. I'm trying to lose fat and drop 20 pounds but if I can't get down to 122 - 125 on the scale then *kitten* it. I'd rather weigh 150 pounds and be a fit size 2 then weigh 125 pounds and be an average and soft size 8 like I used to be.

I'm 5'3" and 18 years old and I weigh 145 pounds. My workout is weights for 35 minutes and 20 minutes of light pilates 3x a week and walking at 3.5 mph with 5 pound ankle weights for 45 - 60 minutes 5x a week.

My BMR is about 1400 calories, and my TDEE is about 2100 so I thought 1600, a 500 calorie cut, on the days I exercise, would be good.

Opinions?

Hmmm..I have lost 28 lbs and am eating 1800 a day...soooo...lol No idea where she gets that idea from! A good rule of thumb is to take 20% off your TDEE to lose weight, but since you don't have that much to lose, you could even do 10% and lose slowly. So, 20% off your TDEE is 1680, and 10% would be 1890-1900. Better slowly and than fast imho...more likely to keep it off!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I'm no expert but that sounds good :) Maybe eat back some exercise cals if you start training a bit more.
    Also, I started at 1200 and now up around 1800. Its a trial and error thing :)

Oh I would be eating back some exercise calories. MFP sets me at 1390 calories so if I eat about 1600 that's about 65% of my exercise calories :)
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Opinions?

Hmmm..I have lost 28 lbs and am eating 1800 a day...soooo...lol No idea where she gets that idea from! A good rule of thumb is to take 20% off your TDEE to lose weight, but since you don't have that much to lose, you could even do 10% and lose slowly. So, 10% off your TDEE is 1680, and 10% would be 1890-1900. Better slowly and than fast imho...more likely to keep it off!

Hmm, maybe I'll try 1600 - 1700 and see how that does :3
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I am eating roughly 1500 calories a day with very little exercise and I am losing weight. 1600 with all your exercise should be just fine.

Thank you! :D
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Any deficit at all will help you lose weight.

Yes, but you can make too big a deficit and I don't want to do that ^^;
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you are eating off your TDEE, exercise is usually included in that, so you would probably not eat it back... just stay at 1600-1800 cals.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If you are eating off your TDEE, exercise is usually included in that, so you would probably not eat it back... just stay at 1600-1800 cals.

That's the plan! Thanks!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your work out routine seems great and your calories are great, maybe your sister should be taking tips from you :) keep doing what your doing and you'll be fine :)
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Your work out routine seems great and your calories are great, maybe your sister should be taking tips from you :) keep doing what your doing and you'll be fine :)

Thank you ma'am!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off. If that is 1600, then do that. Work out, eat some of your exercise calories back and be patient. Don't listed to people that don't know crap. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat better, work out and get to a weight you are happy with and then learn to maintain.
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off. If that is 1600, then do that. Work out, eat some of your exercise calories back and be patient. Don't listed to people that don't know crap. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat better, work out and get to a weight you are happy with and then learn to maintain.

What he said! PERFECT!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options

You seem to have a pretty rational and well-researched goal of 1600. Did you ask your sister what her rationale for her statement about 1600 calories being too high is?
  • kittymewmew66
    Options
    1600 is a pretty good goal and you shouldn't be afraid of it. 1200 is tough and not my cup of tea:( Try playing around with your veges, fruits, carbs, and protien and make things fun! Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If that's truly your TDEE, then you've got it right. Sounds like a healthy way to lose weight to me.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat will you eat on the 1600 cal diet?:smile:
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    How many grams of fat will you eat on the 1600 cal diet?:smile:

I have my macros set to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. My fat comes from things like nuts and eggs usually.