activities you associate with food

Options
I was contemplating today, and was wondering if others experience anything similar to this, and if so how you handle it.

I have always, since I was a very small child, associated reading with eating. Particularly snacks such as crisps. And I find it really hard to sit down and read a good book now, without the impulse to eat making an appearance.

Almost all of the times that I have slipped up food wise have been when i was reading, and i didn't really realise it til now.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? How do you handle it?

Replies

• hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Switch out food for water, that way your free hand and your mouth are still kept busy.
  • Hogscliffe
    Hogscliffe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi I've always found that tv or cinema makes me think I'll have a packet of crisps, now I'm having a cup of tea, mint or chamomile. It helps not having the crisps in the house:)
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    Road trips = potato chips.....and lots of other snacks! I try to take along fruits and veggies now. :)
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Road trips = potato chips.....and lots of other snacks! I try to take along fruits and veggies now. :)

Man that rhymes and EVERYTHING :D

I keep less crisps in now, but i still have to buy them because boyf eats them......and they call to me....
  • jhutch2011
    jhutch2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find that having sugar free gum helps "distract" me from wanting to snack while I'm reading or watching TV.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Long road trips - A cup, bag of sunflower seeds and Coke Zero (that is until the salt burns a hole in my check)
    Sporting events - NACHOS!!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    movies - now i try to just sip a diet soda.
    sporting event - either at home or at the event
    I agree with the road trips
    and even hanging w/ friends (lets do lunch, picnic at the park, ice cream date, etc)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Helping someone move means pizza. Movies used to mean popcorn and snowcaps (at the SAME TIME, try it if you have room in your plan for the day). Apple picking means at least a few apples straight off the tree. Dropping in on a relative always meant some kind of desserty pastry thing (and coffee) if we weren't coming for dinner.

Football on TV = wings.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Reading definitely = snacking...chocolate, then chips, then chocolate, etc...
    playing cards with friends = frozen margaritas and home made pizza
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    smoking weed. :) Don't know how you get away from that one.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Long road trips - A cup, bag of sunflower seeds and Coke Zero (that is until the salt burns a hole in my check)

Sunflower seeds!! we just started doing this! It's a great way to keep your eyes from rolling to the back of your head on a long road trip, too!

Seeing family = food. Some are food pushers
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Football games/tailgating
    So I do all the usuals - Bud Select, turkey instead of ribs, stay away from the chips & dip.
    I do sample some of the "forbidden fares" if someone tells me it is amazing...why waste calories on mediocre high cal. foods.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I do sample some of the "forbidden fares" if someone tells me it is amazing...why waste calories on mediocre high cal. foods.

completely agree. if i'm going to have a high cal food.....it'll be a damn good one ;)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Don't smoke?

Friend round for coffee = cake (I've started getting low cal individual slices in).

Films with the boyfriend = crisps and chocolate (Again, individual bags of crisps and chocolates instead of big share size bags that are meant to serve 4 but we'd eat between us!).
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    - Going to the movies - that popcorn smell gets me everytime.
    - Hanging out with friends or family - usually it involves dinner or snacks
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i snack while surfing the internet hahaha, which makes even getting on MFP a food challenge for me
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Roadtrips and movies are the 2 big ones for me.
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    Did I mention the whole month of October = CANDY CORN!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bowling. On my league nights, I leave work at 5, pick up a teammate (who can't drive for medical reasons) and we go to the bowling alley, get our greasy food and bowl til 9. It's more convenient to me to do that that pack lunch and dinner for work.

Recently, I've traded out eating for vodka/soda. It's worked because I enjoy the vodka more than the food. :laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Eat before. Then you won't lose your buzz either.