Lack of Protein

Options
Hi guys.
I just recognized it especially on the weekend that my proteine intake comes HARDLY to 100, and thats on the weekend where im able to eat eggs, bacon,meat so on, so under the week it even gives me a more hard time because i can not eat fried eggs or stuff in the office. Any suggestions for high proteine food already for breakfast, and probably rest of the day as well? As i workout quite every day i guess i need at least 130 proteins /day... I mostly eat at the desk at office so it cannot get too fancy.. Evening is everything possible, but faster is better :).. cheers.

Ceo

Replies

• randomirrelevant
    Options
    Try hard boiled eggs, perhaps? High quality protein in its own convenient package. You can boil a whole dozen or two at a time and have them in the fridge ready to grab & go.
  • Ceofreak
    Options
    That sounds great! When i boil them, how long do they last in the fridge? And how much should i eat for breakfast? 2?
  • PartyMcLovin
    Options
    Don't go too hard on the eggs as they're quite high in cholesterol (and not the good sort), 5 or 6 per week tops. If you want a quick protien fix with little fuss then your best bet a protein powder from any health store, same stuff bodybuilders take. It's got a high % of protein and can be mixed with milk or water. The flavours have come a long way in recent years and they generally taste quite nice. Shop around online and you can get a 1-3kg tub quite cheap and it'll last you ages :smile:
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    You don't need to eat conventional 'breakfast foods' for breakfast! :) I second eggs as a good source, and I've found that turkey, chicken and fish are excellent choices too. On days I have these, I usually go over on my protein :P

Try slicing up chicken/turkey breast fillets and bringing them to work in a sandwich maybe, or cooking some fish and bringing it in a tupperware tub along with some rice and vegetables? There's a great thread going over on the recipes board as well for good ideas on how to make chicken more exciting, though I admit I LOVE it just as it is.

Chicken especially is getting a bit pricey where I am, so it could be a good idea to look into a butcher's where you can buy quality meat in bulk for a cheaper price.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    Don't go too hard on the eggs as they're quite high in cholesterol (and not the good sort), 5 or 6 per week tops. If you want a quick protien fix with little fuss then your best bet a protein powder from any health store, same stuff bodybuilders take. It's got a high % of protein and can be mixed with milk or water. The flavours have come a long way in recent years and they generally taste quite nice. Shop around online and you can get a 1-3kg tub quite cheap and it'll last you ages :smile:

Ooh, this! I've never tried protein powder myself but a lot of people say it's brilliant and good quality.
  • DeanaThompson
    DeanaThompson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Healthy Protein bars!! Are always a good source!! :)
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with the boiled eggs. I think more recent studies show that cholesterol levels are not significantly increased by eggs in most people. If you leave them in the shells, they will last for days in the fridge. I boil about 3 days worth at a time.

Protein powder is OK too, although I'd rather eat. Of course you can add it to foods, rather than just drink it as well - you can add it to yogurt or make your own protein bars and muffins.

Cheese is a good source of protein. Greek yogurt is as well, if you like it. (I don't)

Protein bars if you can find ones you like.
  • Ceofreak
    Options
    Oh i think i forget to say that im on Keto :) So no sandwiches :(
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I can't make my own shakes with protein powder, I keep a box of Atkins Mocha Latte protein drinks in my fridge. They are the only ones I think taste good and they offer a pretty big protein kick. I prefer to mix my own but sometimes I just need to grab and run.

I wish you could get samples of protein powder mixes so you don't have to buy a huge tub to find out if you like the flavor.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I just recognized it especially on the weekend that my proteine intake comes HARDLY to 100, and thats on the weekend where im able to eat eggs, bacon,meat so on, so under the week it even gives me a more hard time because i can not eat fried eggs or stuff in the office. Any suggestions for high proteine food already for breakfast, and probably rest of the day as well? As i workout quite every day i guess i need at least 130 proteins /day... I mostly eat at the desk at office so it cannot get too fancy.. Evening is everything possible, but faster is better :).. cheers.

Ceo

Re: Healthy protien bars - try Zone Perfect (12-15 grams per bar and they are delicious!) Luna bars, Cliff bars, power bars..etc.

Things I have on hand at all times that are full of protein:
    Hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, chicken breasts, power bars, quinoa, kashi go lean cereal (10 g protein per serving!!!!)
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When I can't make my own shakes with protein powder, I keep a box of Atkins Mocha Latte protein drinks in my fridge. They are the only ones I think taste good and they offer a pretty big protein kick. I prefer to mix my own but sometimes I just need to grab and run.

I wish you could get samples of protein powder mixes so you don't have to buy a huge tub to find out if you like the flavor.

You can order samples from here
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact-whey-protein-sample
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i just had 2 hard boiled eggs 12 grams protein, and then i have a Nature Valley protein bar with 10 grams.
    breakfast with oats, honey, banana and walnuts. 14 gr
    lunch is reduced sodium ham, cheese and bread. 17 gr
    after workout is protein shake 52gr
    supper is veggies and tuna 21 gr
    puts me at about 126 grams for the day........shooting for 137 grams i think, so not far off!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. Made with Greek yogurt, oats, fruit and protein powder. Mine are 488 cal / 56g protein but you can adjust as you need. Check the diary if you want to see the full spec. Also I have Greek yogurt and used to have boiled eggs for snacks (I got tired of them so I haven't for a while) I hit about 130g /day or so.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Make a breakfast frittata with 6-8 servings.
    freeze 1/2 so you can graze through it through the week for breakfast by just nuking it.
    adding cheese and some sort of breakfast meat will increase the amount of protein.
  • cdhaskins1
    cdhaskins1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    -Protein drinks (usually one serving has 25 grams)
    -Quinoa
    -Brown Rice & Lentils
    -Salmon
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time meeting protein recommendations too. I've been slowly working myself up, though... with eggs and meat in the morning. Nuts. Peanut butter. Protein bars. I have to try to stay under 1500 calories, though... no matter what (because of diabetes and doctor recommendations). I sometimes go over that some... but, not much. It's always hard for me to find high protein foods with low calories. I look forward to reading through the suggestions everyone has been giving.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I make a protein drink after every workout. I usually just use almond milk and chocolate protein powder (25 grams of protein) and it tastes like chocolate milk. This helps me reach my protein goals and I feel great and satisfied afterwards.
  • valeriekey
    Options
    I know there is protein fortified milk that comes in different flavors such as vanilla, strawberry and chocolate which is 20 grams of protein. They are at Dominicks or Safeway. If it is on sale they are $1. I know Jewel has a different brand of protein milk and I didnt like them as much. Plus they were about $4.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    1. Boiled Eggs. If you're worried about the hard boiled eggs. You can always chuck the yolks out. You'll still get about 4g of protein per egg white. I like them with Texas Pete Hot sauce personally.

2. Oats are about the only grain I still eat with regularity. They have about 6g of protein per cooked cup. I often mix with nuts, milled flax seed, Greek yogurt, or protein powder and fruits for nutrition and flavor.

3. FAGE brand greek yogurt. I like the 2% milk fat better than the 0%. I only eat plain personally, but you get 20g protein, 8g carbs. This is approximately the reverse proportion of regular "plain yogurt".

4. Protein Powder. Try to sample several before you buy. Not everyone will like every brand/flavor. I had a wonderfully flavored chocolate, but once It's done I'm starting a 5lb tub of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey. It's only naturally sweetened. I didn't want any more "artificial" in my diet, especially sweeteners, so I'll be trying this option. It also seems to be one of the only all whey proteins out there not loaded with carbs and art. sweetners.