WHY AM I GIVING UP :(

Options

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can do this. This process gets frustrating at times and makes you want to quit. You've had some success already so every indication is that there is more to come. I found that the weight dropped easily at first and then started to stall. It happens to everyone. Be patient and stay with it.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you give up, you definitely won't see the results you want to see. I know it's not happening as fast as you'd like it to, but you WILL see results if you're on the right track.
  • daringstoic
    Options
    I have no intention of ever cutting out carbs. I had a nice big spaghetti dinner last night and I had lost a pound on my weigh-in this morning. I'm also an avid baker and I'm constantly making ridiculously sugary desserts that are loaded with carbs. The key is to eat them in moderation. I lost 25 pounds before I finally started noticing changes in the way my body looked. 25 pounds! I was frustrated that my clothes still seemed to fit the same, but I kept plodding along. It's worth it.
  • TJBFITNESS
    Options
    Hi There Kiddo...Change takes time!!! You have to focus on one meal at a time, one day at a time and one pound at a time!!! When your look at the big picture it can be quite overwhelming!!! I needed to lose 120 pounds just to get to a place called "NORMAL". Talk about quitting before I even got started!!! I broke that down into 10% goals. I could handle working on losing 12 pounds much easier than 120!!! I knew that my body refused to give up the weight and I had to learn what worked for me. I gave myself 3 months to make my first goal and was shocked that in 3 months I had lost 27 pounds, As of today, I have lost a total of 86 pounds and have been able to maintain it with no problem. If I can do this so can you, trust me,,,it's not easy, but it is possible!!

I still eat all the foods I love, but in moderation. I have finally accepted brown rice instead of white rice...but that has been very hard with my part Japanese heritage and lving 8 years in Hawaii, where sticky white rice is served with everything!!! Lean how to add lean proteins and veggies that you like to your pasta so that you get satisfied with good stuff.

Are you exercising? I am a cardio junkie, I enjoy Kickboxing, Zumba, Hip Hop, Step and even Jogging...but my greatest changes came when I combined strength training with my cardio. Find a group a friends to support you...it makes all the difference in the world!!! My freinds know, if they want to spend time with me, they can find me at my local gym!! Consequently...some of them have joined my gym and Boot Camp...and we are getting sexy together!! It has made this experience much easier and quitting is not an option!!!

Until then, we are here to support you and encourage you!! Trust me...I have cried plenty of tears over this 2 years!! I was a size 24 and now I am a size 12/14. My goal is a size 10, and I am really close. I remember feeling just like you have described...and I will also share this: Being overweight for my whole life stretched my skin terribly. With all the weight that I have lost, I have the loose flabby skin at my thighs, tummy and my arms look like wings!! I hate to look at my body, but in my clothes...no one sees that stuff!! All they see is a new sexy me, and my friends are so proud of me. I have been approved by my insurance to have have the skin removed, but I am motivated to try and tighten it up as much as I can without surgery. That will be a last resort...but it is an option to help me achieve what I have worked so hard for.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you just posted this. I posted a blog a few hours ago about not quitting.

I hope this helps!

12 Reason Why You Can't Quit!

I'm sure you are not about to quit but just in case that reoccurring thoughts have crossed your mind,here's 12 reasons you should not quit.

YOU SHOULD NOT QUIT BECAUSE:

1. You were born a winner and not a loser.

2. If you quit you will not feel good about yourself or about others.

3. Quitting becomes a habit.

4. You will find relief but experience regression.

5. You will give the devil the glory instead of God.

6. You've come to far to turn back now.

7. You will cause others to give up and lose respect for you.

8. Your future is still unfolding and your life is not over yet.

9. You should stop and reason and not react.

10. You may feel alone but you're not alone.

11. You can endure more than you think.

12. You will lose your place and your reward.

I applaud the efforts of everyone that reads this post and hope these few words of encouragement helps someone.

I take no credit for them at all. I simply took great notes during yesterday's church service.

Be Blessed and good luck with your weight loss journey and any other fitness goals you may have set for yourself.

~Fred
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can't expect lasting results over night... I know it's tough, every day is a challenge but stick to it and you will see your hard work pay off.
    Don't quit carbs ( I can't quit them either lol ) instead eat less of them and know at what time of the day to eat them (avoid night time). It's easier to make yourself accustomed to a new lifestyle if you don't try to ban all things you really love, instead learn when to have them and how much of it is good.
    I am a chocaholic, I don't think I can ever quit chocolate. Instead of having milk chocolate, I opt for dark chocolate and if I'm going to treat myself to it, I eat less of it and earlier in the day.
  • LollypopGinger
    LollypopGinger Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this, how long did it take you to put this weight on?

Times that by 2. That is how long you should expect it to take to come off. You need to enjoy this whole process and the fact you are becoming a healthier person! Don't just think about the scale. Think about the pounds of pressure you are removing from your knees, or the years you are adding to your life!

Took me 16 years to put it all on. It will take me 32 years to take it off?!?!?!?!?!? :noway:

I thought that! I've been overweight since I was a child. I'm 20, so it should take me about 30 years!?
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you just posted this. I posted a blog a few hours ago about not quitting.

I hope this helps!

I applaud the efforts of everyone that reads this post and hope these few words of encouragement helps someone.

~Fred

Love these Fred Thanku!!!
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I found that when I restrict my carbs I'm sluggish have little energy and my body doesn't repair muscles therefore leaving me sore alot. I've had to increase my carbs intake to between 325- 450 grams a day mainly from fruit also brown rice and white/sweet potatoes. Just keep your fats low and you will be ok and will not fall victim to the binge eating.
  • saltqueen99
    Options
    I have given up a thousand times over the years and the weight just crept higher. It is a marathon, not a sprint. I am still waiting to find out why 6 oz of M& M's will put 2 pounds on my belly. It always takes longer to remove weight than put in on and sometimes you look worse in spots while you are losing than when you had the fat plumping them out. It is doable but man, it is hard when your family is not supportive. Have you tried taping a picture to the refrigerator of a garment you want to be able wear that you can't get into yet? I personally have a favorite pair of jeans hanging in a prominent place, egging me on to lose back into them. The poor things are dusty from waiting so long. But I am hoping this is the place to be to get it done. When you fall off the wagon, get back up and dust yourself off and climb back on. Like AA says, one day at a time. Food cravings are the same.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Do NOT give up! Only you can make this a success or failure! You have to REALLY want it. I started and stopped and started and stopped and yo-yo'd many times. I failed many times at this but it wasn't until I finally decided it was MAKE or BREAK time that I was a success. It did not happen over night. It took me 6 months to lose 35 lbs and 5 pant sizes, but I did it...and the thing is? I didn't think I could even do THAT...I was hoping to lose 20 lbs and I was hoping to drop 3 pant sizes and I really thought that it was the impossible, but I'm here to tell you....it is NOT impossible!

You alone are in control of your destiny. You like pasta? Eat the pasta, but eat 1/2 a serving of pasta and load it with lots of fresh vegetables; the vegetables will be more filling and give you that "satisfied" feeling and at much fewer calories. You want rice? Have the rice, but again have 1/2 a serving (and MEASURE and WEIGH the food). A food scale is very in-expensive and will really help you on your journey. Again, you want a sandwich? Eat it with one slice of bread and add lots of vegetables to it...the other "slice of bread" can be a lettuce leaf. You cut down on the carbs you're looking to cut down on while increasing your vegetables which you want to increase by a lot (you should strive for 1/2 of each meal to be vegetables; 1/2 your breakfast can be fruit)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any scientific evidence to it taking twice as long to lose it than it does to gain it. It has not been true in my case. I was able to lose 65 lbs in a year back when I was 21/22. I went from 225 to 160. I ended up gaining most of it back, but it took years. Lets see, I got married a little over a year after I reached my lowest of 160 and I weighed 175 on my wedding day. That's about 15 lbs that I gained in one year. Hmmmm, lost 60 lbs in a year, then gained 15 in a year. Sounds like I gained slower than I lost, doesn't it? Well, I got pregnant 7 months after I got married, and by then I weight 183, so that's another 8 lbs in 7 months. Then it was all downhill after getting pregnant. No use in even keeping track of that. But My point is that when you really do the math, you actually gain weight rather slowly. It just sneaks up on us b/c we're not paying attention when it's happening. On the flip side, when we're losing weight we're usually obsessing about it, which make it seem to take longer.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Okay up until last week i was doing amazingly well on my diet i was eating in moderation staying away from all the 'dirty' foods and really caring about my weight, the weekend came and i was shot down although mfp was saying i was eating just under 1300 calories i stll felt disgusted with myself :( ive lost 10lb so far and its amazing seeing the results on the scale but im not seeing any results on myself which just unmotivates me everytime. Another problem i am having is my thighs theyre so awful and flabby and ive seen no blooming difference literally just want to shoot myself for giving up its soooooooooo hard to lay off the carbs im a pastaholic and although i tell my parents that i want BROWN PASTA it just seems to be a nogo in my house please somebody help me get back on track want to see that scale on 8 stone!

One mess up doesnt mean you are giving up.... just get back on track... the key to losing weight is CONSISTENCY..... dont beat yourself up, just move past it and STICK TO IT....:)

and another thing, remember that it didnt take you ONE DAY to put on the weight, so you cant expect to lose it all in a day or week or month.... set goals, and work toward them, remember its a JOURNEY!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this, how long did it take you to put this weight on?

Times that by 2. That is how long you should expect it to take to come off. You need to enjoy this whole process and the fact you are becoming a healthier person! Don't just think about the scale. Think about the pounds of pressure you are removing from your knees, or the years you are adding to your life!

Took me 16 years to put it all on. It will take me 32 years to take it off?!?!?!?!?!? :noway:

Took me 38 years to put it all on, so apparently, if I keep at this, 76 years from now when I'm 114 years old (assuming I live that long), I'll have a SMOKIN body! :smile:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Because you don't want it badly enough.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If 1300 hundred is pigging out for you, how much are you normally eating a day? Eating such a low amount of calories is probably going to make you miserable, slow weight loss down eventually, and cause you to binge from feeling deprived all the time.

^^This.

How bad do you want it?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Those thighs aren't going to firm up on their own just because you're cutting calories! In fact, you may be losing muscle tone if you're cutting too many calories.
    THIS!

As for the food choices, you can't expect your parents to start eating better just because you want to. You're 18 years old...go to the store and buy what you want, and cook it yourself. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but you are the only person who can make these changes in your own life!
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose, you may not see big changes at 10lbs. It is unrealistic to think that you lost 10lbs and your whole body should look different.

It's called the dieters mirage, everyone expects to see wholesale changes in a short period or with a small loss (again depending on how much you have to lose).

When I started, I didn't notice a difference with a 20lb loss...now I am over 40 and everyone sees the difference.

Keep at it, set realistic size and weight goals intermittently and work towards those shorter goals. Your body will change and people will notice, but only if you stick with it.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile and what you've posted here, my opinion (totally not a professional) is that you may benefit from having someone like a counselor to help you through some of the issues you have surrounding your weight and your body image. You are young and have time and youth on your side. You have already made progress, and (I think you know that) you can't expect to see immediate results. Changing habits takes months, even years.

You need to believe in yourself, and KNOW that you CAN make the RIGHT choices for YOU. Giving up just means you'll have to start over again.
  • hafsahkh
    hafsahkh Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I hope this helps!

12 Reason Why You Can't Quit!

I'm sure you are not about to quit but just in case that reoccurring thoughts have crossed your mind,here's 12 reasons you should not quit.

1. You were born a winner and not a loser.

2. If you quit you will not feel good about yourself or about others.

9. You should stop and reason and not react.

11. You can endure more than you think.

I take no credit for them at all. I simply took great notes during yesterday's church service.

Be Blessed and good luck with your weight loss journey and any other fitness goals you may have set for yourself.

~Fred

Thank you so much this really helped! :)