Pregnancy and weight loss

Options
I am 150 pounds right now and we planning to have baby. I was thinking to lose 25 or 30 pounds before pregnancy so i won't have to lose much after.I will be very heavy after pregnancy Or should i lose everything after pregnancy. I am confused and worried for weight gain..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Please ladies help me….

Replies

• KimKramer
    Options
    I started all 3 of my pregnancies at 140 lbs......just being mindful of what you are eating while being pregnant helps alot :) I was at 175 when I delivered and it comes off....just takes some time! Good luck!!! I loved being pregnant :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You don't sound too far off of a healthy weight right now. "They" used to say that you should start pre-natal vitamins before getting pregnant. Talking to your doctor about it should help you get a little perspective, too. Just focus on fitness now for an easy delivery and good nutrition before and during pregnancy. If you lose some weight along the way that's a bonus for you! As long as you are planning ahead, you want to be as healthy and fit as you can before you get pregnant. Unless you are very small I don't think losing 30 lbs is in the baby's best interest either. During pregnancy, just make sure you eat well balanced meals and continue exercising. Your doctor can tell you how much weight you should gain and what exercises you can still do. My kids are 20, 18 & 16. In those days, the doctor said that whatever exercises I did before pregnancy could be continued. Obviously, follow doctors orders regarding exercise. Don't forget that once you deliver that 7lb baby, you will almost instantly drop 20 (+/-) additional pounds. Just don't be a Jessica Simpson that allowed herself to eat every piece of junk food she could think of. Eat the most nutritious food you can manage during pregnancy. Personally, I had more food aversions than cravings. The smell of cooking chicken would make run from a room and I could only eat raw vegetable, which limited my choices a lot.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay active during pregnancy and you are mindful about what you eat, you will most likely avoid excessive weight gain, although some women will gain a lot of weight no matter what (although that doesn't mean it won't come right off after the baby is born- just depends on the reason for the gain). I am a firm believer that when it comes to pregnancy, your body knows what it needs to support that growing baby. You really only require and extra few hundred calories per day when pregnant (you can manually adjust your calorie goal on MFP too). However I've experienced those horrific hormonal cravings that make you say "Hand over the hot dog before I go Preggosaurus on your hiney!!"

As far as being fit though, I would recommend trying to get as fit as possible before getting pregnant because it will make for an easier pregnancy. Toned abdominal muscles will help support the weight of your growing belly and your fitness level may help your energy levels too. Honestly though, every pregnancy is different so even despite your best efforts to get physically fit beforehand, you still may end up with baby weight to lose. I will tell you this though- when you hold your new little one in your arms, it will all be completely worth it! :)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You don't sound too far off of a healthy weight right now. "They" used to say that you should start pre-natal vitamins before getting pregnant. Talking to your doctor about it should help you get a little perspective, too. Just focus on fitness now for an easy delivery and good nutrition before and during pregnancy. If you lose some weight along the way that's a bonus for you! As long as you are planning ahead, you want to be as healthy and fit as you can before you get pregnant. Unless you are very small I don't think losing 30 lbs is in the baby's best interest either. During pregnancy, just make sure you eat well balanced meals and continue exercising. Your doctor can tell you how much weight you should gain and what exercises you can still do. My kids are 20, 18 & 16. In those days, the doctor said that whatever exercises I did before pregnancy could be continued. Obviously, follow doctors orders regarding exercise. Don't forget that once you deliver that 7lb baby, you will almost instantly drop 20 (+/-) additional pounds. Just don't be a Jessica Simpson that allowed herself to eat every piece of junk food she could think of. Eat the most nutritious food you can manage during pregnancy. Personally, I had more food aversions than cravings. The smell of cooking chicken would make run from a room and I could only eat raw vegetable, which limited my choices a lot.

I had a lot of food aversions with my second pregnancy (my son was just born in January of this year) and only gained 18 lbs. With my first though I had all kinds of cravings for sweet stuff, and gained 28. Every pregnancy is different I guess! lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before each of my pregnancies by exercising loads and cutting out carbs. In my 1st pregnancy I continued going to the gym, doing aerobics, having PT sessions etc, plus I was working full time then. I think I ate a normal amount, but because i'd been eating too low calorie beforehand to lose the weight, I did gain a bit of weight and it took me a year to shift.

To lose that pregnancy weight I had PT sessions, did classes, and again ate too low calories, and I got pregnant again when my first was nearly 14 months, and I gained loads in my 2nd pregnancy. I really craved carbs in the first trimester as it stopped my nausea, and that really made me pile on weight. I also had some bleeding early on which put me off exercise, plus I was exhausted with a toddler to look after.

Now my daughter is 17 months, and I am thinner than I was in 2008 when I got pregnant with my 1st, and this time I have made a conscious effort to eat properly, not excessively limit my calories. I've been using MFP for 105 days now, but have been on a health kick since my daughter was 8 weeks old. I exercise a lot still too. I think it helps that I have 2 kids to feed, and I can't give them lettuce leaves for dinner, so we all eat healthy, balanced meals now and I don't deny myself whole food groups!

So, my advice to you would be to make sure you're healthy and fit - don't starve yourself, and keep up with exercise. When pregnant you can continue doing what you've been doing, but you can't start a new exercise. After a certain number of weeks you can't do sit-ups, or weights whilst standing up, but you'd need to ask someone to make sure you're doing everything right.

I'd like to try for another baby next year, probably Feb/March, so i'm hoping by then i'll be as slim as I want to be, and this time I will make sure I log everything on MFP, and keep up with exercise.
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am also losing weight so I can be healthy for pregnancy. I scheduled a preconception planning visit with my gyn for next month to make sure I am on the right track with our timelines. I recommend you do the same. Your weight at this point won't be a problem (neither is mine), but I know that I need the room to gain weight when I am PG.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The last 2 pregnancies I was losing weight the First Trimester. This pregnancy, I've been actively trying to be mindful of what I am eating. I managed to gain about 8 pounds in the Second trimester, and maintained the entire last month because I was watching what I was eating. Neither baby nor I are malnourished, and the Doctor is really impressed with how healthy we both are. I walk 3-4 times a week. right now my calories are set to gain .5 pounds a week and will stay like that until I have her.

While getting healthy before trying to conceive is awesome, you're not horribly overweight. And if you start being mindful of what you are eating and go ahead and start exercising, you will most likely not gain alot when you are pregnant.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    if you loose a few lbs before. Watch what you eat during (you can't eat whatever you want). Eat to maintain while you are pregnant. You will not gain too much (keep in mind that a lot of weight gain is water weight during pregnancy). The first 6 weeks post partum you will lose a lot of weight. Then you will have to work to lose that last 10 lbs. I'm working on that last 10 lbs now. My baby is 5 months old.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my first pregnancy i was 16 yrs old...i dont know what i weighed before i got pregnant, but at 20 weeks i weighed 125 lbs..i ended up about 145 lbs...then i was 166 lbs when i got pregnant with my 2nd...the day he was born i was 168...ha ha looks like i only gained 2 lbs but i would gain, lose, gain, lose throughout the entire pregnancy...and with my third son i was 145 when i got pregnant, the day he was born i was 166...had my tubes tied and 1 month later i was 195 lbs. havent been able to lose any of it since then.....until i found MFP on September 11th this year.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat like a sumo wrestler when pregnant and you are in relatively good health, the weight you gain during pregnancy mostly isn't fat.
    I gained 40lbs, had a baby 5 weeks ago and I have already lost 33. If losing 20-30lbs would make you start and an unhealthy, too low weight, it might actually hurt your chances of conception and make for a less healthy pregnancy. If you are healthy now, then it is perfectly safe to get pregnant.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Make it easier on yourself and lose the weight before getting pregnant. Sometimes it is an absolute struggle to get the weight off after the delivery. I didn't lose an ounce after each of my deliveries (not even the baby's weight). Strange things can happen, so might as well be in tip-top shape to begin with, just in case.
  • shorview
    shorview Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would say to try to lose what you can before you get pregnant and definetly be mindful once you are pregnant of what you eat especially during the first trimester. With my 2nd, I always felt sick to my stomach and ate a ton of bread/starch to settle my stomach and at the end, had gained 20 pounds more than my first pregnancy.

A year later, I am still trying to lose the 20 extra pounds.

It isn't easy to lose with a little one to care for.

You can do it and good luck!! Being a Mom is awesome!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Make it easier on yourself and lose the weight before getting pregnant. Sometimes it is an absolute struggle to get the weight off after the delivery. I didn't lose an ounce after each of my deliveries (not even the baby's weight). Strange things can happen, so might as well be in tip-top shape to begin with, just in case.

While the choice is up to you. I wouldn't necessarily assume you'll easily lose all of the weight afterwards. During my first pregnancy I gained 50 pounds, before delivery. After having the baby I was up 15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight and even with the help of breastfeeding I only lost another 5 pounds. Also, get as healthy as you can before will only make pregnancy easier. However, if having child is really important to you shouldn't have to wait to have a baby because you want to loose a few more pounds. I never lost all that wait after baby number one even though I really wanted to before number two, but eventually it just felt like it was time for the next baby, extra weight and all. This time around I am little more conscious of the food I am eating and my activity level, but I don't feel like it's that different than the first time around. I'm 7 months pregnant right now and have only gained 12 pounds so far. Really, anything could happen during pregnancy when it comes to the weight gain. Every person and every pregnancy is different. Make your decision on what you feel is right for you, not what you assume might happen, because you just cant predict what will happen.
  • dksidhu
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing the personal experience with me. I was so confused before, but now i know what i have to do. I think i should lose weight as much as i can without stressing my self. i should watch my self what am eating on pregnancy, should eat only healthy if i don't want gain lots of weight. Ones Again Thank you very much, I really appreciate it...
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You never know how pregnancy is going to affect you. With my first, I was so sick in the first trimester that between countless food aversions and vomiting up prety much everything, I lost nearly 20 pounds! I was already within healthy BMI and that actually put me under weight. I was worried for the baby, but my GP told me that he/she would be getting everything they needed by leeching from me, and it was my nutrition we had to worry about!

With my second, I wasn't as sick, thankfully, but didn't gain at all in the first trimester.

By the end of both pregnancies, I had gained about 40 pounds. And between baby and fluid loss, nearly half of it was gone in the first week post-natal.

So, unless you need to lose weight to actually fall pregnant - don't panic about weight gain now, before you even conceive. You're just borrowing trouble.

And, honestly, when you have your healthy son or daughter in your arms, any pregnancy weight gain will be so unimportant.

Good luck on your path to parenthood.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lbs before getting pregnant, and I think the improvement in my health and fitness has been a big help for the pregnancy.

Plus, you don't have to gain a TON of weight for pregnancy. If you manage your intake and stay active throughout, you'll drop most of that weight when the baby comes.