completed my first half marathon

Options
so yestarday i set off at 6am to get to cardiff in time to find a parking space. i got to the start line by 8am with an hour to spare i was freezing cold and tired from being up so early. i didnt expect to see so many people there was 18000 runners and over 22000 spectatours.
we set off at 9am and i tried to get into my stride but with the sheazr amount of people it took at least hal,f a mile for this to happen. once i got into my stride i was away :)
the senery was amazing and the support from all the public kept me going.
i started to flag at mile 10 and really wanted to see a friendly face and up pops my boyfriend shouting my name this gave me a boost and i was on my way again.
my calfs started to burn at mile 12 but i knew it was only one to go so i persitsed and my only goal for today was NOT TO STOP at all on the run.

i crossed the finish line in 2hours 35mins

once i stopped running my legs turned to jelly and all my mucles started to hurt i went to the beer tent and sat there for the next 30mins lol

Replies

• KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is sooo awesome!! Super proud of you!
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an amazing achievement. I hope that you are VERY pround of you because I think everyone else will be, I know I am. Well done. x
  • corlas0105
    corlas0105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You should be very proud :)
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    amazing!! What did you do to train?
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You did great! And should feel very proud of your accomplishment. 13.1 miles without stopping? Incredible!
  • dipletti
    dipletti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment!! Congrats!!
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great time!!! Training for my first in January in Miami Beach. Did you follow a specific training plan?
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I completed my first one on Saturday so I can relate to this! Great work!!!!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Excellent, you should be proud
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    you rock!!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    thank you all. and to those asking regarding my training i didnt follow a plan to be honest i just made sure i got at least one big run in a week along with going to the gym. my runs were not massive they i aimed to get 6-7 miles in NO STOPPING and i did one 12 mile run three weeks before to make sure i could actualy go that far without dying lol.
    i wish i ate a bit better tho as my weight stayed the same the whole time i trained (mindyou i did eat what i wanted)
    im a lot happier with my figure since starting running in january 2012 (i could only run 30 secoonds 10 months ago now im running half marathons )

if i ca do it any one can :)
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Awesome congratulations :)
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's so amazing! Good for you!!!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Just wait.. they get addictive. I did my first a few weeks ago, have my second this Sunday and my third 20 days later. Relish that medal, wear it EVERYWHERE, be proud of what you've achieved!! =)
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    WOW! I'm proud of you! Great time too!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous!! And the time is really awesome!!! Way to go!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Great job!

My only advice would be if you cramped up at all when you stopped running--make yourself walk around for another 15-20 minutes after you're done. And lots of stretching, ice, and epsom salt baths should help your legs!

:)

PS When you're training for a marathon or a half marathon, from what I've been told, you should just be maintaining weight during the training period, not skimping on calories, so you did well :)
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats and well done!!!
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling all too well -- just did my first one 9/22! Isn't is a wonderful feeling? You did great!!!

It took me a few weeks to be able to run worth a flip afterward. I got really excited at the finish and didn't stretch or hydrate like I should have and ended up with some cramps in my calves about 30 minutes after the finish. Doh. I don't think I could do one again without a good rest in the middle but thinking about something for after the first of the year!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!