60 pounds in 6month?

Options
Is that too much? Averaging 2.2lbs a week.

October 8th- 209.8
Today- 205.8
Goal: April 8th- 150lbs

Replies

• mcdaws
    mcdaws Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to lose 50lbs by April 22, so not quite as tough as your goal. It will be a lot of work and eating right, but definitely worth it. Good luck.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Your loss will not remain linear the closer you get to your goal. You will have to adjust your calories and run smaller deficits as you get closer. Most people say about .5 lbs per week for the last 10/20lbs. I have the same amount to lose so I am not looking forward to it either since I am losing somewhere between 1-3/wk now.

Also the losses in the first few weeks are usually pretty high for a lot of people. I think I lost 15 lbs in my first month :(
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Maybe I look at it the wrong way, but don't try and push too hard for such a larger number in a short period of time. Can you do it? Maybe. I know it's not uncommon for people to lose 100 pounds in a year. In fact, my ex lost more than a hundred in 10 months.

But for me I just keep it simple. Try to eat right (this is a big challenge for me) and work your butt off sweating rivers. Everything else is kinda out of your control. I think the pressure of such a lofty goal combined with the reality of your weight going up and down (for various reasons like water retention, a bad night or two) might be too much to handle emotionally and you could get discouraged.

The biggest challenge of my journey is psychological. So that's why I try and keep it simple.

besides, this should be long-term, not short-term.
  • SZavalaCPA
    SZavalaCPA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with solyhhit and I have lots in common with what he said with respect to his challenges. I say, eat healthy, live healthy, work out hard, and the weight will fall to where it should be. Easier said than done, I know :)
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    it's reachable for sure! I personally just lost 20 pounds in just over a month doing P90X and keeping a very close eye on my nutrition! Good luck :)
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe I look at it the wrong way, but don't try and push too hard for such a larger number in a short period of time. Can you do it? Maybe. I know it's not uncommon for people to lose 100 pounds in a year. In fact, my ex lost more than a hundred in 10 months.

But for me I just keep it simple. Try to eat right (this is a big challenge for me) and work your butt off sweating rivers. Everything else is kinda out of your control. I think the pressure of such a lofty goal combined with the reality of your weight going up and down (for various reasons like water retention, a bad night or two) might be too much to handle emotionally and you could get discouraged.

The biggest challenge of my journey is psychological. So that's why I try and keep it simple.

besides, this should be long-term, not short-term.

BUMP - so true.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    yes, it can be done but it will be a great challenge. It's common to start off fast then the weight loss slows down. TRY not to get frustrated but keep doing what you are doing. Me being 43 I wanted to keep a good pace and reduce any injuries.

Good luck and kick butt! #BattleMode
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That's pretty agressive.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's doable. With no cheat days and no fudging.
  • marcil1979
    Options
    I have found that if you concentrate on the number it gets discouraging if you dont meet it. Like watching water boil.

Try a different angle and set non-loss goals;
    ~Workout 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes
    ~Eat clean every day for x amount of time
    ~Try at least 2 new workouts a month

These types of goals promote a heatly lifestyle which in turn contributes to weight loss. Anything is attainable if you work hard enough for it....just dont burn out the engine and stall.

Good Luck!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm holding a steady pace to drop 40 lbs in 10 weeks. 2 weeks left, 6 lbs to go. Completely possible (insofar as numbers/timeline are concerned). Hasn't been too rough yet.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I think trying to push for that as your ideal goal might feel great now, but will you be ok with it if you don't hit it? Thats the better question IMO.

I set myself up for a "Lose 50lbs by Christmas" goal back in January. I blew by that in 4 months- Im pretty sure that is unusual success, and now that I am 15 lbs from being under 225 (something I expected for the end of NEXT year o.o) and it isn't even Christmas - all I can say is, anything is possible but you've got to work for it and not beat yourself up if you don't make it. Trust me, I haven't been going straight down, my weight has bounced up and down somedays as high as +5lbs overnight that took 2 weeks to get back off.

You just gotta decide you are worth not giving up on, and push yourself harder every day. Then you will be as successful as you strive to be.
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    To be honest, that's a very lofty goal. You'll probably be able to handle 2.2 lbs per week for a while, but not all the way down.

Keep making healthy choices and living an active lifestyle. You'll get there!
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    Try plugging your stats into Losertown and see where you could be in 6 months:

http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    Is it a huge goal? Yes. Can it be done? Yes.

It depends on many things of course, one of them being how much you actually have to lose, how hard you are willing to work, and if the scale is willing to cooperate.

I lost from 220 pounds March 22nd down to 160 pounds by September 27th. 220 wasn't my highest weight, and 160 wasn't my goal weight, but I did lose 60 pounds in just a tad over 6 months, but that's just a snapshot of the big picture. I'm still losing, and I was losing before March 22nd, just a lot slower.

Everyone is different (cliche, but true). You can make your goal whatever you want, just try and make sure you don't get discouraged if that exact goal isn't met in the time fram allotted.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have lost 54 pounds in 6 months. Not quite your goal, but the last couple of pounds have taken weeks. I started off losing an average of 2 pounds per week and it slowed as I got smaller.
  • Hiccup90
    Hiccup90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to be slimmer by May next year when I go to Florida. So I have 7 months. I'm not really putting a number on it. When I reach a size that I'm happy with I'll stop. If I put too much stress on myself by saying 'I want to lose 80lbs by then I might end up being disappointed in myself because I didn't manage it.
    I'll be slim, I would be over the moon if I was slim by May but if I'm slimmer then that is still great :)
  • larwal6312
    larwal6312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have lost 58 in 5 months. It can be done, but I exercise a lot, and use a heart rate monitor to accurately track the calories I burn. Then I eat back my exercise calories to keep my metabolism up.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree that may be hard to achieve. Don't give up now. Everybody has different activity levels and metabolism. Just make sure you are eating a healthy diet and don't go under 1200 calories a day. See what you can do. And if you need to adjust that goal down the road then do it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is very unlikely, especially if you want to limit your weight loss to only fat. Aggressive goals means under feeding your body generally (as you will need more than a 1000 calorie deficit) and it will end up causing you to lose a good bit of lean body mass. Fast weight loss generally means saggy skin. If you dont mind losing muscle and possible saggy skin, go for it. But generally speaking, slow and steady = long term weight loss. If you have a moderate deficit, concentrate on weight training and some cardio, and eating whole natural foods, you can lose a bit of body fat quickly.