Need some lifting ideas...

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I'm formulating a new routine.
Let's pretend a lot of people have already made posts about rest between lifting days, overtraining, etc, and just get on with it:

Most sets I plan to do in this format:

1x5 50%
1x4 70%
2x3 80%
5x2 90%
1x(as many as I can) 50%
This may change a little. Or a lot. I don't know.

Monday: <-- Needs more
Squat
Military Press
Farmer's Walk
Ab rollout

Tuesday: <-- needs MOAR
Sumo Deadlift
Calf Raises
Pull Ups

Wednesday: <-- Good
Front Squat
Bottom Position Squat
Bench
Close grip Bench
Dip

Thursday: <-- needs another exercise
Power Clean
Good Morning
Overhead Press
Dumbbell Side Bends

Friday: <-- Mooaaar.
Squat
Chin Ups
Ab rollout
Farmer's Walk

Saturday:
Standard Deadlift
Calf Raise
Bench
Incline Bench
Tricep Push Downs

So as you can see, a few days are light on options..

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but farmer's 2x per week and deadlifts 2x per week is a lot of stress on you.

Working similar lifts and muscle groups each day is just putting yourself through a lot of extra work for no point, overtraining aside.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to routine how you've got it set up, I don't think any of the days really need something more though. Doubles with 90% are pretty brutal across several sets.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Well the first question is always, goals? Second is always, why not just run a proven routine? At least one with a template you can modify?

Looks like a lot. I hope you will at least be eating a lot of food.

I'm too lazy atm to look at all of it and see if it has a balanced number of

horizonal presses vs pulls

vertical presses vs pulls

quad dom leg vs ham dom leg
  • wellbert
    Options
    Just my opinion, but farmer's 2x per week and deadlifts 2x per week is a lot of stress on you.

Working similar lifts and muscle groups each day is just putting yourself through a lot of extra work for no point, overtraining aside.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to routine how you've got it set up, I don't think any of the days really need something more though. Doubles with 90% are pretty brutal across several sets.

My deadlifts are pretty light right now because of my back. We're talking sub 200lbs.

I was lifting 1-2x a week anyway on DLS. HAve been doing Starting Strength for a while now.

FOW: My plan is this.
    IF it's too much volume,
    First, I'll sleep more
    If still, then eat EVEN more food
    and if that fails, I'll lighten it up a bit.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Well we know SS works so not sure why you want to switch off of it with lifts nowhere neared being maxed on it, but if you want more volume, you might consider this

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    If the deads are lighter, I'm sure you'd be fine pulling multiple times per week.
    Not saying that the volume is definitely too much or anything, but even thought I love training, I still don't want to be in the gym every day if I could get the same results by doing a 3x per week program.

5x5 will work wonders for your squats and deads. And you can easily add stuff like farmers walks and sumo pulls into a good program.

I've done my own programming a time or two, and without really having a good grasp of training, I can say it was a mistake. It's fun to personalize your stuff, but I think you'd be better suited taking a solid program then tweaking it slightly.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't think farmers and DL 2x weekly is too much; however, I think that 6 days a week of lifting is a bit much. I'd take a rest day Sunday and Wednesday or an equivalent spacing. You've got major compound lifts every single day and that will be draining; I can almost guarantee it. I'd basically just take out Thursday's workout. If you want to do assistance lifts then perhaps do a couple sets integrated on your other lifting days. You're doing a LOT OF VOLUME 30-45 work sets. I know some are low rep but DAMN I think I'd reconsider. Try it for a week and adjust. Only you can say what's too much for your body.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Are you going for strength, or hypertrophy?

Here's a pretty good article on body building training. There is also a part 2 to the article.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/11_principles_of_bodybuilding_training_part_1
  • wellbert
    Options
    Strength, mostly. The volume is due to a bit of mad inspiration from Jamie Lewis' book Destroy the Opposition.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    volume can be awesome for bringing up a weak lift.
    and a lot of olympic lifters train high volume, but it's hard to start a routine like this unless you already have the GPP level to handle it. you kind of have to work up to it.

All you can do is give it a shot and hope you respond well.
  • wellbert
    Options
    volume can be awesome for bringing up a weak lift.
    and a lot of olympic lifters train high volume, but it's hard to start a routine like this unless you already have the GPP level to handle it. you kind of have to work up to it.

All you can do is give it a shot and hope you respond well.

yep. I'll definitely start light and make sure I can work my way into it.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    like others have asked what is your goal? do you want to be a bodybuilder? do you want to have better endurance. then build your workout around that
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I don't know why you wouldn't just stick with SS then. It is going to get you stronger about as fast as can be expected.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I would add arms (cable curls, hammer curls, skull crushers, tricep extensions) and other isolation lifts to the days you want "moar". Or abs. Lots of abs. Ball twists, row boats, sit-ups, pull-up leg lifts, etc.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I found that, through a lot of testing, that for my particular physical limitations, amongst other things, I'm best running a program where I do many sets of very few heavy reps for progression. I also found that moving certain things apart seem to help me a lot.

I found I really don't like certain exercises on the same day. Like squats + deadlifts on the same day. Because of my disc issues, doing one prevents me from doing the next one in the same workout.

I really love power cleans, and don't like squatting with them.

So really, overall, it's not THAT much more volume than starting strength. It's just smeared out over a week with some accessories sprinkled in.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    You could check out Geryskull LP which would not have you squating and deadlifting on the same day. You could add cleans to deadlift day too. http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    well idk about ur split but il just give you mine if you just want ideas..

Monday
    Back/Bis/Calves

Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pullups
    Curls
    Rear delt exercise
    Calf Machine
    15min stairmaster

Tuesday
    Chest/Tris

Bench
    Dips
    Skullcrushers
    Flys
    Pushups
    15min Stairmaster

Wednesday
    Powercleans/Cardio/Abs

Powercleans (on occasion)
    Sprints
    Weighted ab exercises
    walking cardio 15 mins

Thursday
    Legs

Squats
    Lunges
    Straight leg deadlifts
    calves
    10min walking

Friday
    Shoulders/Arms
    Military press
    side delt exercise
    rear delt exercise
    curls
    tricep extensions
    15min Stair master

Saturday
    Plyometrics/Cardio

Plyometric jumping program
    Sprints

Sunday
    Rest

all rep reanges are in hypertrophy range of 6-12 except for deadlifts or powercleans are in power range of 1-5 and exercise is very general and can be done with barbells or dumbells, usually dumbells.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I know this has been responded to (light weights) but this is still the most relevant response in the thread. It's too much work.

If you want to lift every day, replace most of these heavy compound exercises with single joint isolation work. Otherwise it's too much strain on your CNS. You'd have to eat like an animal and consider chemical assistance to keep this pace up for more than 3 weeks.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I know this has been responded to (light weights) but this is still the most relevant response in the thread. It's too much work.

If you want to lift every day, replace most of these heavy compound exercises with single joint isolation work. Otherwise it's too much strain on your CNS. You'd have to eat like an animal and consider chemical assistance to keep this pace up for more than 3 weeks.

Yeah. anytime I do heavy famers walks my upper back is trashed for 2-3 days after. I can't imagine trying to squeeze in deads the next day and then do farmers again later in the week.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If the deads are lighter, I'm sure you'd be fine pulling multiple times per week.
    Not saying that the volume is definitely too much or anything, but even thought I love training, I still don't want to be in the gym every day if I could get the same results by doing a 3x per week program.

5x5 will work wonders for your squats and deads. And you can easily add stuff like farmers walks and sumo pulls into a good program.

I've done my own programming a time or two, and without really having a good grasp of training, I can say it was a mistake. It's fun to personalize your stuff, but I think you'd be better suited taking a solid program then tweaking it slightly.

Tend do agree with this. I'm doing 5x5 three times a week and fell like it's a good amount for me. However, I'm 42 and am working myself back into shape, when I was younger I did very similar programs to yours with no real problems.

Sounds like you have a good idea what you can handle and how to adjust to how your body feels. Good luck!