Benefits of Raw apple Cider Vinegar??

Options
2»

Replies

• pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just used it to unclog a massively clogged shower drain**. Two applications and the drain is draining like new again.

**You may want to take this advice at face value. How do you feel about ingesting atypically large amounts of a substance that corrodes keratin (in hair) and soap scum deposits in next to no time?

Coca-Cola can dissolve pennies, remove burnt-on grease from pans, remove oil stains from pavement and other hard surfaces, remove corrosion from car batteries, polish most types of metal, and clean out car engines.

Yet many people consume gallons of it daily. Not to say that makes it healthy, but hundreds of millions of people drink Coca-Cola every day and don't just immediately drop dead. I'm sure if you drink enough apple cider vinegar it would be harmful, but there may be some benefits to taking it in small quantities. I have no idea - I just wanted to counter the whole "it can do X so that means it's toxic" point.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I learned last night that Apple Cider Vinegar is the recommended natural cleaner for a ping pong table.

I'm not sure how I feel about using something as a weight loss aid that is also a powerful cleaner and drain declogger...

:sick:
  • momvmany
    Options
    "There is limited scientific support for the claim that apple cider vinegar can promote weight loss. However, one small study (published in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry in 2009) found that obese people who consumed acetic acid daily for 12 weeks experienced significant decreases in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference, and triglycerides. In tests on mice, another 2009 study (published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry) found that acetic acid may help prevent the buildup of body fat and certain liver fats.

It's unknown whether these studies tested the use of acetic acid derived from apple cider vinegar or from other vinegar types."

You can find more here:
    http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used to mix it with water and a little honey to help with acid reflux. If I recall correctly, it did provide some relief. I use the Bragg's brand and also bought the Bragg's book that outlined all the health benefits and uses.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for a few months now, it has really helped with seasonal allergy issues. I can't say i've noticed it helping weight loss any. Im still losing at the same rate I was before. However I can tell a difference in how I feel on days I take it vs the days I have missed. I have also noticed that I have not had to take medication for acid reflux either although I can't say for certain if it's the ACV or diet changes helping that. Probably both. However the allergy results are great and I have not had to take Clairitin/Zyrtec at all this season. I mis 4 oz warm water, 2 Tbsp ACV, 2 Tbsp local honey and 1 tsp cinnamon.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I just used it to unclog a massively clogged shower drain**. Two applications and the drain is draining like new again.

**You may want to take this advice at face value. How do you feel about ingesting atypically large amounts of a substance that corrodes keratin (in hair) and soap scum deposits in next to no time?

Coca-Cola can dissolve pennies, remove burnt-on grease from pans, remove oil stains from pavement and other hard surfaces, remove corrosion from car batteries, polish most types of metal, and clean out car engines.

Yet many people consume gallons of it daily. Not to say that makes it healthy, but hundreds of millions of people drink Coca-Cola every day and don't just immediately drop dead. I'm sure if you drink enough apple cider vinegar it would be harmful, but there may be some benefits to taking it in small quantities. I have no idea - I just wanted to counter the whole "it can do X so that means it's toxic" point.

Never said it's toxic. Just mentioned that it also does wonders for clogged drains. You took it there..
  • mlgreen48
    Options
    Vinegar tablets are a hot item for Vitamin stores due to the many benefits of vinegar. I do not take it for weight loss, although I do take it to prevent soreness after some physical activities such as, going up and down a ladder for cleaning outside windows & painting. It works great to prevent soreness.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

The stomach secretes HCl and stomach acid can have a pH as low as 1-2. It can handle vinegar, I assure you.
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Thanks Ya'll , I was just curious.And hey, I have a new drain cleaner if nothing else!!!