how does the fitbit work

Options
I've been seeing quite a few people talking about the FitBit. Can someone please tell me exactly what this does? Will it tell me how many calories I'm burning all days, even at rest? Also, do you need wifi in order for it to work? Thanks!

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbqr9rrU771rue69io1_400.gif
    MAGIC
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbqr9rrU771rue69io1_400.gif
    MAGIC

You always make me laugh!

The Fitbit doesn't need wifi. You hook up the charger to your computer. It will act as a wireless receiver whenever your fitbit is near by and transmit the data to your fitbit page. The fitbit tracks your steps, distance, calories, and flights. It can also help you track your sleep patterns.

I love mine. I've had it for a couple of years and I like it because it works hand in hand with MFP.
  • brenbrenm
    Options
    So it doesn't really do much more than a pedometer then? I could have sworn I heard of something that was able to track how many calories you were burning even at rest through body heat and heart rate?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    So it doesn't really do much more than a pedometer then? I could have sworn I heard of something that was able to track how many calories you were burning even at rest through body heat and heart rate?

thats what the bodybugg attempts to do.

the fitbit is a 3d accelerometer... or in laymens terms, it can tell how its being moved.... so its like a really accurate pedometer that knows how you're moving.

in either case.. it can tell you if you're having an active day, or a lazy day..... but NEVER expect ANY portable device to accurately guess your true calorie expenditure.